Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: more info

wow, im from chicago too. well orland park. planning on moving out there in august. im still undecided about the school or just job thing. i dont know if i just want to continue school there or get a job.. we will see. so same situation. im going down there to look at places and i agree with the website. i found some nice places on there. but lets see the neighborhoods when i get there. worried about hte car thing though because i might be bringing one... hmm that wont be good dont want to get that stolen so i dont know if i should bring one..... is it really that bad!??!?!?! well chi town people.. good luck down there.

Sarah

car theft

Yes, I am afraid the car theft situation is that bad. I'm not saying it's 100% that you will get your car stolen but to reduce the chances get a good alarm system, a club, and try to get an apt with off street parking. Another warning, the job market is not like it is up North so start your search soon. j

Re: car theft

The best things you can do, use a club and/or an alarm. Keep the doors locked while parked and driving. Never leave anything of value in your car. Put your registration and insurance papers in the TRUNK, not the glove box (preferably in a ziplock bag so nothing gets spilled on them) Funny, but that's all I've ever had stolen from my car since I moved here, my papers...maybe that's because I never leave anything else inside it... Guess they were rifling around for cash.

Re: Re: Re: Re: more info

Don't want to dampen your spirits but before you get all giddy about what you expect for the $ 600.00 you better wait and see.

Not only is car theft a big prob (insurance is NYC $$)but there is nearly no on site parking which is why it is so bad...so you best prepare for street parking.

A $ 1000 a month in the warehouse dist will get you a shoebox in an old building. Be prepared to look all over the city for a decent place. Lots of decent places in the Lakeview area, but it is a 25 min drive in. Good luck