Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Public Transportation

I moved down here 5 years, work as a temp, and don't drive. I find it difficult to accept assignments other than in the CBD and uptown. Does anyone else on this board depend on public transit? How dependable are the buses that run from uptown to Metairie (where most of the temp assignments seem to be)? Also, doesn't the Louisiana bus connect to the Metairie buses? I'd like to be more flexible in assignments I'm able to take. Any advice would be appreciated.
Carol

Comment/Question How many of you depend on public transit?

Re: Public Transportation

The Louisiana bus DOES connect to the Metairie bus at Canal by the cemetaries. I have a friend who took this route (recently) from the Irish Channel to Lakeside Mall every day. Said it took about 45 minutes.

Check out the RTA's site:
http://www.regionaltransit.org/routes/system.php

Re: Re: Public Transportation

Thanks for your reply, Uptown Lady. A couple of further questions: is the Louisiana bus pretty safe to ride? I understand it passes some housing projects. Also, I've been told the bus/streetcar stop at S. Carrollton & Clairborne can be fairly dangerous. Have you or anyone else on this board found that to be the case?
Concerned

Comment/Question How many of you depend on public transit?