Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thinking of moving - question about IT jobs

Hi Everyone!
I recently stumbled on this board from lurking on the Moving to NO forum at NOLA.com. My husband and I are contemplating moving to New Orleans from the Baltimore/DC area. I am originally from NO but my husband is from New Jersey so he is a little nervous about moving to the south.
The main issue is that my husband works in the IT field, more specifically he is a Network Administrator/Project Manager. I was wondering what the IT job prospects are like in NO and what kind of salary range? I check NOLA.com job listings but they don't give salary info. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Thinking of moving - question about IT jobs

JUst ran across this checking out the site.

I am a business consultant and work with IT people. Most of my business is in Houston, Orlando etc. as a result of the economic downturn in the community.

Trust me on this...there is nearly ZERO IT work in and around N.O. The people who work in the biz here scramble for 15$ / hour. Many will install a whole server and PCs and software for $ 75 flat rate.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but as much as the city is attractive, most of the large companies have left along with the professionals, and there is very little work in the area you requested. Hopefully you are in the medical field as that is about the only growth area.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Everyone!
I recently stumbled on this board from lurking on the Moving to NO forum at NOLA.com. My husband and I are contemplating moving to New Orleans from the Baltimore/DC area. I am originally from NO but my husband is from New Jersey so he is a little nervous about moving to the south.
The main issue is that my husband works in the IT field, more specifically he is a Network Administrator/Project Manager. I was wondering what the IT job prospects are like in NO and what kind of salary range? I check NOLA.com job listings but they don't give salary info. Any information would be greatly appreciated!