Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Stables
I haven't seen any info on riding stables. I like to horseback ride but don't own my own ride. Anything happening in the city (or very close). P.S. Not talking poor broken down trail horses that know a single route by heart and just follow to get back to barn to f...
Views: 177   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2003 9:28pm
by CamiJon
Moving in June!
Hi Emily! Your site is absolutely wonderful thank you so much for your help! We are moving in June and are narrowing down our first and second choice. We like both Uptown and Lakeview and are really trying to chose one. Any thoughts?
Views: 193   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 27, 2003 2:05pm
by Charles and Dana
question about bugs
hi emily! first of all just want to add my 2 cents worth about how cool your site is... i'm moving to new orleans from california and i found a lot of the info about neighborhoods really helpful.... thanks! now i've heard that because nola is so hot and humid ther...
Views: 213   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2003 5:46pm
by Danielle
Who is the energy company in New Orleans
Your website is awesome Emily! Can you tell me who the energy company in New Orleans? Also what could I expect to pay for a 1 bedroom apartment under 700sq.ft. for electricity and gas?
Views: 181   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2003 4:02pm
by ByeByeOhio
z
Zar M.
Public Transp.
Great Site Emily! How is the public transportation system in New Orleans? I'm a college student moving there in the Summer to attend Loyola and need to be near public transportation. Does Uptown have access to public transportation easily? What routes should I look at?
Views: 176   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2003 9:00pm
by Zar M.
b
BigEd
No Subject
What does Above/Below Canal refer to when looking at classifieds?
Views: 202   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2003 8:11pm
by BigEd
Fav Mardi Gras Parades?
Hi Emily! Love the website! Having been to several Mardi Gras parades in the last five years I was wondering what your favorite ones were and why? Mine would have to be Orpheus. Great floats and they know how to throw!
Last Post: Feb 16, 2003 5:04pm
by Paula Jarvis
c
Carol
Working in New Orleans without a car
I'm seeking employment preferably in the uptown area of New Orleans. Every employer I interview with seems impressed with my resume, but as soon as I mention that I don't drive, they are no longer interested. They insist that whoever they hire must drive. I live upt...
Views: 202   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 13, 2003 2:26pm
by Carol
Local gyms
Emily what are some local gyms in the downtown or uptown area? I'm moving in March and was looking for a place to work out before and/or after work. Thx.
Views: 182   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 30, 2003 3:46pm
by Coach M.
Missing N.O.
Emily- What a great web site you have. I'm a native New Orleanian living in exile in Sacramento, CA I've been here about 2 years and I really miss NO. I try to stay in touch with the happenings of the Big Easy as much as possible. Your friend Wendy at the young...
Views: 197   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 23, 2003 5:06pm
by darnola
RTA link broken
Your link to the RTA web-site doesn't work. Please fix!
Views: 169   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2003 9:03pm
by bkwhitman
j
Jen
Above/below Canal
Hi Emily, I was just looking through apartment listings and was wondering if you could explain the difference between above and below Canal to me. I am wondering which neighborhoods these are, what types of people are there, etc. I don't want to waste a lot of tim...
Views: 175   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2003 2:17pm
by Jen
p
Paul
Christmas in New Orleans
Hi Emily! You've helped me in the past with info on New Orleans. I'm coming down to New Orleans on the 21st and was wondering what neat things there are to do for the holidays around town. Can you help me out? Paul in Charlotte
Views: 190   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 11, 2002 3:58pm
by Paul
Great web site
Emily, Great web site. You are truly doing your part to promote New Orleans. I wish everyone in this city took as much of an active role as you do in promoting our fine city and helping people relocate. Keep up the great work!
Last Post: Nov 26, 2002 9:57pm
by bkwhitman
Magazine at Jefferson
Hi Emily! I surfed onto your website through neworleans.com and love your site. You have so much information and it has helped me tons! I am looking at moving the first part of January and think I have found a place. It's near Jefferson and Magazine. They said its a...
Views: 182   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 23, 2002 10:33am
by Laura Pritchard
Streetcars
I know all about the famous Saint Charles Avenue streetcar line and I heard a rumour that there was a new streetcar line being installed as I type this. Can someone fill me in on the details such as where this new streetcar line is located and when it will be fully o...
Views: 175   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 20, 2002 2:01pm
by Wallace G.
e
Emily
Re: Apartments that allow pets
Hi Jen! Thanks for posting your question. It won't be too hard. I would 'guestimate' that about 30% of the rentals in town allow pets. Some will require a minimal pet deposit, and some will want one equal to a month's rent...so shop around. It would be a LOT h...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2002 8:18pm
by Emily
e
Emily
Re: Considering move to N.O.
Hi James! Thanks for posting - and sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Gentilly for the most part is some of the highest ground around town, but it can (and will) flood IF we get too much rain in a short amount of time. The city has come a LONG way in...
Views: 126   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2002 8:10pm
by Emily
j
Jen
Apartments that allow pets
Hi Everyone, I am planning my big move in a couple of months an was wondering how hard it is to find an apartment that allows dogs? I've got a beagle puppy who will be moving with me. I have been thinking of moving to the French Quarter or Faubourg Marigny areas.
Views: 154   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2002 7:57am
by Jen
j
JAMES
Considering move to N.O.
Hi Emily, First, thanks for the excellent web site. The information has been invaluable. I am considering a job offer in the Gentilly area and want to learn more about the area before I make a decision. I am a Finance professional currently living in Chicago an...
Views: 154   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 14, 2002 3:11pm
by JAMES
Re: Re: Re: Who's still here?
Forgot my handle! That post wuz mine. Sowwwy. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I'm with you Emily. Bring it on! My apt. is on the 4th floor. Would take a hell of a lot of water to drown my sorry azz! LMAOROTFL --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- -...
Views: 112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2002 5:30pm
by Lowrider
Re: Re: Who's still here?
Yeah it's much easier handling that storm when you are up a few floors! --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I made it through, though I did "evacuate" to the CBD. And to be truthful, I'd have gone furthur than that (yes, Em...I'm a wus)if my husban...
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2002 5:29pm
by Lowrider
Re: Re: Who's still here?
I'm with you Emily. Bring it on! My apt. is on the 4th floor. Would take a hell of a lot of water to drown my sorry azz! LMAOROTFL --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I never left. Watched the storm in amazement as it came through the Garden Distri...
Views: 96   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2002 5:23pm
by Anonymous
e
Emily
Re: Moving back soon
Hi Julie! Glad you like the page. Good parts of Uptown: between St. Charles and Magazine is nice...and you can even go a street above/below in each direction and still be ok for the most part (best between Jefferson and the riverbend). Closest to Audubon Park is...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2002 7:28pm
by Emily
e
Emily
Re: Who's still here?
I never left. Watched the storm in amazement as it came through the Garden District at 5:30 am last Thursday - have never seen gusts of wind & rain THAT powerful before...really a sight! Call me cocky, but I say hurricane schmuricane, bring it on! LOL --- --- ---...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 7, 2002 7:22pm
by Emily
Re: Who's still here?
I made it through, though I did "evacuate" to the CBD. And to be truthful, I'd have gone furthur than that (yes, Em...I'm a wus)if my husband would've agreed to leave with me. That was one scary storm headed our way......... --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---...
Views: 185   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 3, 2002 4:50pm
by Uptown girl
Who's still here?
Shout out to all my peeps here in the parish. Who's still here? Anyone evacuating? I'm riding this one out. Once again we've escaped catastrophe.
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 2, 2002 3:50pm
by Lowrider
j
Julie
Moving back soon
Hi Emily you have a super page! I am moving back to New Orleans after being gone a few years and am looking forward to it. I would like to find a one bedroom in either the uptown and am looking at ads in the paper online like your site suggested. The only thing is I...
Views: 149   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 28, 2002 11:51am
by Julie
Re: Re: what is the downside
I love New Orleans, but let's be real -- there are many downsides to living here. There is massive, crushing, abject poverty. There is a lot of crime, including a lot of murders. Lately the police have been cracking down on marijuana smokers, who usually don't hur...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 3, 2002 2:33pm
by Editor B
e
Emily
Re: Rental Costs
Hi Regis! Thanks for posting. I'm not too sure about stockbrocker jobs. Best bet would be to check out the online classifieds as well as the job search sites (as shown under "jobs" on this website). As far as renting a 2 bedroom apartment in those areas, check out...
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 29, 2002 6:33pm
by Emily
r
Regis
Rental Costs
I'm interested in moving to the Lakeview, Bucktown, or West End area of the City Park area. Can anyone tell me approximately what it costs to rent a 1 or 2 bdrm apartment or small house in this area? Also, are there many jobs for professionals, such as stockbrokers?...
Views: 159   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2002 11:45am
by Regis
Re: Re: Best private school?
Thanks for all the information! We would prefer all girl but are open to a co-educational setting. Money wise we would like to keep it under 4,000 but are willing to spend as much as it takes for our daughter, so we will consider the ISSA schools. --- --- --- ---...
Views: 106   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2002 3:29pm
by Jean Marie
Thanks Emily!
Thanks for your quick reply Emily. The library on St. Charles is so close to where we are moving I could walk there! Thanks for all your help. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Hi Jean Marie! Theere are three (maybe more) libraries that I know...
Views: 146   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2002 6:11am
by Jean Marie
e
Emily
Re: Best private school?
Hi Jean Marie! Glad you like the site I have a 6 year old daughter and she goes to Louise S. McGehee School for Girls. It's PreK-12, all girl, and secular (not religious). It's a fantastic school that offers low teacher-student ratios, hands-on learning, and h...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 18, 2002 5:41pm
by Emily
e
Emily
Re: Uptown libraries
Hi Jean Marie! Theere are three (maybe more) libraries that I know of in Uptown. One is a child's library, so that probably won't interest you too much, but it might your daughter. The second one is the second biggest, if I'm not mistaken, in New Orleans, and th...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 18, 2002 5:27pm
by Emily
Uptown libraries
Forgot to ask this earlier. As I mentioned earlier we will be moving to the uptown area. I'm an avid reader and go the library at least twice weekly. Where are the nearest libraries in the uptown area? Specifically, we will be off of Saint Charles.
Views: 164   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 17, 2002 5:04pm
by Jean Marie
Best private school?
Hi Emily, you have a great site here and I thank you for all the hard work you have done on it. My family and I will be moving to New Orleans in the next few weeks, in uptown area, and are going to be looking at a school for my daughter who will be 4 in January. We w...
Views: 155   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 17, 2002 2:47pm
by Jean Marie
e
Emily
Re: Moving to New Orleans...Need your help!
There are plenty of bars & restaurants around (a few thousand actually) and jobs in that field are always available. If you have the skills and a professional attitude, then you'll be fine Em --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Hi... I am...
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2002 6:04pm
by Emily
e
Emily
Re: Cheapest area to live and closest to Bar areas
Hi Daniel! As Jerri already said,the Quarter is home to most of the bars in New Orleans. And as Crawfish mentioned...it depends on your version of "cheap". Bywater is an up & coming area that is still quite affordable and still close to the Quarter. Mid-City is...
Views: 141   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2002 6:02pm
by Emily
e
Emily
Re: Great site!
Hi Crawfish! Glad you like the site Yes, our wonderful new Mayor has done a wonderful job in his first 100 days in office. I look forward to seeing what other accomplishments we will see under his helm Em --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying...
Views: 150   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2002 5:55pm
by Emily
e
Emily
Re: what is the downside
Downside? What's that? Great food, good music, beautiful architecture, warm climate, rich history, friendly people, what more could you want? Ok, there are a few downsides to living here. As Crawfish and Maureen pointed out, watch your weight. Not easy being a veget...
Views: 157   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2002 5:53pm
by Emily
Re: Re: what is the downside
Oh you hit the mark Crawfish! I have been back for 2 wks and already I've gained a few extra pounds. My husband too. The food here is so good, you just can't get it anywhere else in the world. I heard a joke once that New Orleanians love fried food so much that if th...
Views: 155   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2002 7:25am
by Maureen K.
You better like warm weather. If you are a fan of cold and snow you'll be disappointed or unhappy. Avg. summer temp is in the 90s. Avg. winter temp is mis 50s. There are hotter places in the U.S., such as Arizona, Vegas, NMexico, parts of CA, but they don't have the...
Views: 166   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2002 7:21am
by Maureen K.
Big downside - - - - - - your weight! All the good food here goes right to your hips, thighs, guts, etc. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:i understand that you are trying to focus on the positives here, but what are the downsides? the wrap here...
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 13, 2002 6:01pm
by Crawfish
what is the downside
i understand that you are trying to focus on the positives here, but what are the downsides? the wrap here in DC area is traffic problems, miami is gangs, denver is a horrible football team (hehehe). whats the wrap on new orleans?
Views: 156   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 13, 2002 1:41pm
by jaythebrb
That's the one!
Thanks that's the place. They have great chick. parmesian. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Macaroni Grill, that's the name of the restaurant you couldn't remember. Yeah Bravo is a lot like Macaroni Grill. Both are great places. --- --- --- --...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 12, 2002 4:05pm
by Crawfish
j
Jerri
The Macaroni Grill
Macaroni Grill, that's the name of the restaurant you couldn't remember. Yeah Bravo is a lot like Macaroni Grill. Both are great places. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Think you covered most of them. There's also Cheascake Factory which is a to...
Views: 148   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 8, 2002 3:30pm
by Jerri
St. Charles Streetcar line
I'm glad they decided to air condition the new ones and even more happy that they are keeping the original un-airconditioned 900 series on St. Charles. Really keeping history there. I heard somewhere that the St. Charles line is the oldest continuously running street...
Views: 146   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 3, 2002 9:31am
by Crawfish
1 2
Free Forum powered by Bravenet