Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: what is the downside

Downside? What's that? Great food, good music, beautiful architecture, warm climate, rich history, friendly people, what more could you want? Ok, there are a few downsides to living here. As Crawfish and Maureen pointed out, watch your weight. Not easy being a vegetarian or on a diet in this town The public schools in Orleans Parish are in bad shape, with only a handful being "acceptable" to "good". The upside to that is private schools are plenty, and most won't cost you an arm and a leg. Another downside, car thefts. Car thefts here are pretty bad. An upside - easy to disuade a would-be car theft by two simple steps 1) install an alarm with ignition kill and/or install "the club"; 2) don't leave anything out in view either in the seats, or if you have a hatchback, the storage area. Another downside - potholes. But with the new Mayor at the helm, I'm guessing this won't be an issue for much longer

Em

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

i understand that you are trying to focus on the positives here, but what are the downsides? the wrap here in DC area is traffic problems, miami is gangs, denver is a horrible football team (hehehe). whats the wrap on new orleans?

Re: Re: what is the downside

I love New Orleans, but let's be real -- there are many downsides to living here. There is massive, crushing, abject poverty. There is a lot of crime, including a lot of murders. Lately the police have been cracking down on marijuana smokers, who usually don't hurt anyone. The city is notorious for corruption; Mr. Nagin's very public campaign against corruption may be the real thing or it may be just for show -- time will tell. The city itself is sinking rapidly. It's vulnerable to big damage from a hurricane. And southern Louisiana is losing coastline at a truly alarming rate.

To my mind these are the biggest problems, but the positives still outweigh the negatives for me.

Replying to:

Downside? What's that? Great food, good music, beautiful architecture, warm climate, rich history, friendly people, what more could you want? Ok, there are a few downsides to living here. As Crawfish and Maureen pointed out, watch your weight. Not easy being a vegetarian or on a diet in this town The public schools in Orleans Parish are in bad shape, with only a handful being "acceptable" to "good". The upside to that is private schools are plenty, and most won't cost you an arm and a leg. Another downside, car thefts. Car thefts here are pretty bad. An upside - easy to disuade a would-be car theft by two simple steps 1) install an alarm with ignition kill and/or install "the club"; 2) don't leave anything out in view either in the seats, or if you have a hatchback, the storage area. Another downside - potholes. But with the new Mayor at the helm, I'm guessing this won't be an issue for much longer

Em

Replying to:

i understand that you are trying to focus on the positives here, but what are the downsides? the wrap here in DC area is traffic problems, miami is gangs, denver is a horrible football team (hehehe). whats the wrap on new orleans?