Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Considering move to N.O.

Hi Emily,

First, thanks for the excellent web site. The information has been invaluable. I am considering a job offer in the Gentilly area and want to learn more about the area before I make a decision. I am a Finance professional currently living in Chicago and totally unfamiliar with New Orleans. I am looking for an apartment or townhouse. It appears that the rents are considerably lower than in Chicago.

The ideal neighborhood would be relatively close to work and quiet. However, I would also like to have quick access to entertainment and restaurants in the city. Also, is flooding a problem and what areas should I avoid in that regard?

I would appreciate any recommendations you can make considering my criteria.

Thank you,

James

Re: Considering move to N.O.

Hi James!

Thanks for posting - and sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

Gentilly for the most part is some of the highest ground around town, but it can (and will) flood IF we get too much rain in a short amount of time. The city has come a LONG way in the last 5-10 years with its supererb underground canals and pumping stations so really the last bad flooding happened in 1995. Not too bad considering we've had a few hurricanes and tropical storms since then and no major problems. Most important info. I can give you as far as avoiding flooding - get an apartment or townhouse that is elevated. MOST homes in New Orleans are set on piers, or a crawlspace if you will, that are a good 2 to 3 feet off the ground. This is essential in keeping the rainwater out. If you are looking to be close to work and close to entertainment, I would HIGHLY suggest the City Park/Bayou St. John area. This is a good half-way point...about 5 minutes from Gentilly, and about 5-10 minutes to the Quarter. The area for the most part is quiet and crime is relatively low. The area along Grand Route St. John and Esplanade near the Whole Foods is a real happening place now. Lots of young couples, singles, and for the most part are young professionals and some artists. Nice area in my book.

YES, rent will be considerably lower than Chicago. The most expensive areas of town are: The Warehouse District, The French Quarter, and the Garden District. Other than those three areas, you are looking at $500-600, on average, for a 1 bedroom.

I hope this will help you out - feel free to ask any other questions you might have about moving here...I'm always glad to help

Em

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Emily,

First, thanks for the excellent web site. The information has been invaluable. I am considering a job offer in the Gentilly area and want to learn more about the area before I make a decision. I am a Finance professional currently living in Chicago and totally unfamiliar with New Orleans. I am looking for an apartment or townhouse. It appears that the rents are considerably lower than in Chicago.

The ideal neighborhood would be relatively close to work and quiet. However, I would also like to have quick access to entertainment and restaurants in the city. Also, is flooding a problem and what areas should I avoid in that regard?

I would appreciate any recommendations you can make considering my criteria.

Thank you,

James