Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Apartments that allow pets

Hi Jen!

Thanks for posting your question. It won't be too hard. I would 'guestimate' that about 30% of the rentals in town allow pets. Some will require a minimal pet deposit, and some will want one equal to a month's rent...so shop around. It would be a LOT harder if you had a BIG dog (and some consider dangerous) such as a german sheppard, or rottweiler. If you are looking in the classifieds in either the Times Picayune or Gambit (both links are posted on this website under 'homes' and 'rentals'), look for ads that either don't mention pets or specifically for ones that say 'pets ok'. On the plus side...I have noticed a good increase in those ads As a pet lover myself (or should I call it Emily's Zoo), I can totally understand where you are coming from on this. Another hint I'll give you - if you are physically looking at apartments...don't mention you have a dog UNTIL you find 'the' place...then you can mention it when you have won the landlord/agent over with your winning personality and glowing references...well I've heard this does help believe it or not. A landlord will be more willing to negotiate on his/her pet policy if they think YOU will make a good tennant. Offer a pet deposit if they seem iffy.

Hope this helps!! Let me know if I can help with any other questions - I'm always glad to help

Em

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Everyone,

I am planning my big move in a couple of months an was wondering how hard it is to find an apartment that allows dogs? I've got a beagle puppy who will be moving with me. I have been thinking of moving to the French Quarter or Faubourg Marigny areas.