Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Working in New Orleans without a car

I'm seeking employment preferably in the uptown area of New Orleans. Every employer I interview with seems impressed with my resume, but as soon as I mention that I don't drive, they are no longer interested. They insist that whoever they hire must drive. I live uptown so I would be able to either take the streetcar or walk to work, but once they learn that I don't drive, it's like I don't exist. What do other people without cars do?

Carol

Re: Working in New Orleans without a car

I moved here from New York in the 90s. I didn't have a car living in NYC and I never got around to buying one here either. I rely on RTA or my bike to get me where I'm going. I'm an auditor at a accounting firm and the subject never came up. I didn't offer the info. and they didn't ask. If a position requires travel I can see them asking but if youre just working in an office/store what's the deal? Try not mentioning it. I was asked only one time in five interviews. The one time I was asked, I said that I didn't have a car at THAT time, implying I was in the process of getting one. Not my fault I don't get one. Life isn't easy w/o a car so don't make it harder on yourself. Keep the transp part out of the picture and let them hire you for you not for what you drive or don't

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'm seeking employment preferably in the uptown area of New Orleans. Every employer I interview with seems impressed with my resume, but as soon as I mention that I don't drive, they are no longer interested. They insist that whoever they hire must drive. I live uptown so I would be able to either take the streetcar or walk to work, but once they learn that I don't drive, it's like I don't exist. What do other people without cars do?

Carol

Re: Working in New Orleans without a car

Hi Carol!

I tend to agree with Tony on this - if they don't ask specifically wheter or not you have your own transportation, don't offer the information. And as Tony pointed out, as long as your job doesn't involve work-related travel, it really isn't any of their business whether you take a bus/streetcar or drive.

Hope this helps

Em

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Carol