Return to Website

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum

Live in New Orleans? Not yet but you would like to? Well drop on in and ask any and all your questions you might have about moving here. If you live here already, feel free to ask questions, post comments, or start a discussion. Look forward to hearing from you! Em

Emily's Living In New Orleans Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: International Move!

Hi Ayse!

Wow, don't think I've ever helped anyone as far as Istanbul! By the way - beautiful part of the world you live in, I hope to one day visit. My cousin and friend go there at least once a year and absolutely love it there. Ok, onto your dilema. Uptown is the area immediately surrounding Tulane, and the part closest to the university is quite nice. Mostly families and students living there, and there are plenty of rentals, most being the "shotgun" type (see shotgun apartments under my architecture page). Some will offer a small yard and/or courtyard for your gardening pleasure. For more info. on Uptown, check out the links, description, and other info. under "Uptown" in my neighborhoods page. Hope this helps!!! Please let me know if I can help any further, I'm always happy to help!

Em

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Emily!

My husband and I are moving to New Orleans in two weeks from Istanbul, Turkey(would you believe ). My husband is going for his Phd at Tulane.

We have a small dilemma that you seem to be very knowledgable about : We have lived in a very "French Quartery" type area of Istanbul for three years during our student thing and now we aould like to be a little more residential (with maybe a small garden or privacy rather than an apartment again) but close to Tulane. What would you suggest? I grew up in Bethesda, Maryland but have, unfortunately, never been to New Orleans so your page has been really helpful in introducing he neighborhoods. I am a little confused though

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks and take care,

Ayse

Re: Re: International Move!

Hello again ! Thanks for the information; I will take a better look at Uptown. What do you think of Metairie? Is it way too far? Or too sleepy?

I hope that we can meet in New Orleans one day; I would be more than happy to give you the insiders' info on Istanbul when you decide to come

I will be back after we arrive for other info!!

Thanks,

Ayse

Replying to:

Hi Ayse!

Wow, don't think I've ever helped anyone as far as Istanbul! By the way - beautiful part of the world you live in, I hope to one day visit. My cousin and friend go there at least once a year and absolutely love it there. Ok, onto your dilema. Uptown is the area immediately surrounding Tulane, and the part closest to the university is quite nice. Mostly families and students living there, and there are plenty of rentals, most being the "shotgun" type (see shotgun apartments under my architecture page). Some will offer a small yard and/or courtyard for your gardening pleasure. For more info. on Uptown, check out the links, description, and other info. under "Uptown" in my neighborhoods page. Hope this helps!!! Please let me know if I can help any further, I'm always happy to help!

Em

Replying to:

Hi Emily!

My husband and I are moving to New Orleans in two weeks from Istanbul, Turkey(would you believe ). My husband is going for his Phd at Tulane.

We have a small dilemma that you seem to be very knowledgable about : We have lived in a very "French Quartery" type area of Istanbul for three years during our student thing and now we aould like to be a little more residential (with maybe a small garden or privacy rather than an apartment again) but close to Tulane. What would you suggest? I grew up in Bethesda, Maryland but have, unfortunately, never been to New Orleans so your page has been really helpful in introducing he neighborhoods. I am a little confused though

Thanks and take care,

Ayse

Re: Re: Re: International Move!

Hi Ayse!

I would *LOVE* to get some insight into Istanbul!

Metairie is a suburb about 10 miles from downtown. Like most American suburbs, it looks like it could be anywhere in America. Most of the homes are one story, close together and pretty much look the same. Nothing wrong with that IF that's what you like. It does NOT look like you live in New Orleans, and for many people who move TO New Orleans, they want to live in a home/apt. that looks like it belongs in New Orleans (does this make sense?! LOL) Anyways, you'll find lots of shopping and restaurants out in Metairie. Most of Metairie is pretty safe, although be careful of the area closest to I-10 and area that is immediately surrounded by more apartment complexes than houses as they tend to have higher crime. Traffic into downtown can be bad when it's raining or there is construction (and there usually is) so plan on 20-30 minutes drive from Metairie into downtown. I have a bit more info. on Metairie located under my 'neighborhoods' page (look under suburbs, then Metairie).

Hope this helps! Please let me know if I can help with any other questions

Em

Replying to:

Hello again ! Thanks for the information; I will take a better look at Uptown. What do you think of Metairie? Is it way too far? Or too sleepy?

I hope that we can meet in New Orleans one day; I would be more than happy to give you the insiders' info on Istanbul when you decide to come

I will be back after we arrive for other info!!

Thanks,

Ayse

Replying to:

Hi Ayse!

Em

Replying to:

Hi Emily!

Thanks and take care,

Ayse

Gotcha.. hmmm

Ok now I get what you mean about metairie and, ok, that is definitely NOT what we want. Thanx!

We have decided to take a good look around the neighborhoods as soon as we arrive including their distances at different times of the day.

Look forward to more chit-chat after we arrive,

Take care,

Ayse

PS we fly out on July 14!! Wish us luck

Re: Gotcha.. hmmm

Hi Ayse!

Well glad we cleared that up Good luck with your trip on the 14th. If you need to contact me while you are HERE, there are a couple of internet cafes in the French Quarter, and also Kinko's on St. Charles in the CBD offers internet service for a small fee. I'll keep my eyes open just in case

Let me know how your trip goes!

Em

Replying to:

Ok now I get what you mean about metairie and, ok, that is definitely NOT what we want. Thanx!

We have decided to take a good look around the neighborhoods as soon as we arrive including their distances at different times of the day.

Look forward to more chit-chat after we arrive,

Take care,

Ayse

PS we fly out on July 14!! Wish us luck