Return to Website

Studyphysics Discussion Forum

Talk about the Book of the Month, Discover Magazine, and get extra marks!

Studyphysics Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wu-LI : General talk

and but little vibrating strings....that kinda freaks me out...duuuuuuuude

Energy is mass so i guess it makes sense... plus sometimes it's better to get a little freaky haha

haha yes it is good to be freaky...maybe not over physics tho but its crazy that scientists havent even really proven the atom yet there already on to what its made of and then to what those particles are made of and so on

Thats the problem, we can't prove it. its all theory... thats why he talked about the special theory of relativity and the elevator example. We are in the elevator! we dont know waht is truly happening, but we make assumptions and explain the physics of it. Theres no way to know for sure what is actually happening, we can only assume. Thats what quantum mechanics is based on. But string theory.. ohhhhhhhh the possibilities

But dont you think one day scientists will finally build a strong enough microscope to see atoms and electrons. I think that they will. Its might not be in our lifetime but one day someone will see an atom.

they already built an microscope that can see the outer electron cloud of an atom so it is possible that soon they might have a clear picture of it.

But electrons are so small! The cathedral example of a nucleus, atom, and electron is really good to get an accurate picture of just how small an electron is. Isn't there those smaller electrons, like neutrinos? If there are, they have to be smaller than electrons and I would think that even with today's technology, impossible to see!

if science has taught me one thing it's that nothing is impossible because as soon as you say that someone has developed a means of seeing something even smaller. it all comes down to trial and error because by mixing new elements and compounds we may be able to create a microscope that can see an atom. and once this great feat of science is achieved, scientist won't be satisfied so they will go on a search to see the protons and neutrons and even electrons of the atom. all it takes is a little bit of time and patience

And you have to admit it requires people with brains....and the time and patience. So wait, they have a microscope to see an electron cloud around the nucleus...which is part of an atom....so why can they not see the whole atom? If they can see the electron cloud around the atom, would they not be able to see the whole thing? Or is this only seen with a special type of microscope...?