Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Favorite Songs to Play

One of those songs that just stuck with me all these years was Superman. We played the movie Superman theme in 1979. For those of you familiar with the staccato nature of the song, you can imagine how difficult it was to play on the field. With the horn line spread out and portions of the horn line facing the backfield at times, the phasing problems would not go away .... no matter how many times we practiced it...over and over again. I can't speak for the whole Corps, but our section got tired of playing it.

In another string the Whiffenpoof song was mentioned as song that brought similar distaste. A song that Corps members would have rather not played.

On the other hand, one of my all time favorite songs to play was South Rampart Street Parade. That song was fun and playing it was entertaining. We usually received a good audience reaction during the song with a mini mid-voice company front and we ended the song with a very heavy (and loud!!) swing part. I seem to remember that we always got a good ovation after playing Rampart.

I'm curious about what everyone else's "favorite song to play" was?

What years were you a Corps member? 2nd Sop in 1979

Re: Our Favorite Songs to Play

1966 Dancero (Closest we came to sounding like SAC hornline in 1960)

1966 Walkin My Baby Back Home

1965 Night and Day

Half the Battle was an inspiration; John Brown's Body in '73 always got a great response. And I agree with South Rampart Street - that was a fun piece to perform.

Hey, George Roberts - care to share the story of your little solo in that piece and then running into Sandy?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Keith .. a GREAT question to pose!!

Here are some of my favorites;

. You'll Never Know (cha-cha) 1959
. Music Man medley - 1958
. God Bless America!! -1962 & 63
. 'SWomderful- 1962
. Helen Polka- 1962 & 63 (yes, some people
did NOT like this one, but it was fun.)
. Glenn Miller medley (concert, 1962)

I also agree with John Andersons choices, but by 1965 & 66, I was an instructor not a member!

What did you do in the Corps? member 1958-63, asst. instructor 1964-71

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63 drum line

Although I didn't march in the A corps in 1960. I liked all the songs that year except the closer "Sleep." (Stout Hearted Men, Jealousie, Dansero, Some Where There's Music-Tea for Two Medley, Come Back to Sorento, and In a Persian Market). Regretably by the time I came up in 1962 the only song the corps still played was "Sleep."

I did eventually get a chance to play the 1966 arrangement of "Dansero."

I had fun playing Superman too. In 78 I liked What I did for Love because I got to play the tamborine which was fun. I'm probably luckier than most in that I can listen to the old recordings and what I was playing stands out (and I can't believe it's me).

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Line (Bells & Xylo)

What years were you a Corps member? 77-79

I was partial to Old Man River 63 & 64.

What years were you a Corps member? 1959 - 1966

A lot of the music everyone mentioned brings back
memories,I liked our closing number Sleep,but I always
thought it could have sounded a lot better if we would
have had a better arrangement of it.Igor you had a solo in Old Man River,right?

What did you do in the Corps? soprano and than french horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 through 1963