Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NORWOOD PARK FIELDHOUSE

For all those alums who marched in the Corps prior to 1962 (when we moved to the Billy Caldwell Post), you HAVE to remember practices at the Norwood Park Fieldhouse!

Well, I was able to visit the site again (in the company of a small grand-daughter) a while back. While there have been some changes, including a lot of new paint and
lighting improvements!, the place LOOKS THE SAME!

You can just see the old pictures in your mind when you walk in.

Brought back a lot of good memories!

Stop by sometime! Maybe when you attend the Corps Exhibit presentation at the NP Historical Society meeting (at 7PM,
April 28!)

What did you do in the Corps? member 1958-63, asst. instructor 1964-71

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63 drum line

Re: NORWOOD PARK FIELDHOUSE

Reading David's comments got me to thinking about where we practiced drill in the late 70's. But, I can't remember the name of that parking lot we used to practice at. I can't even remember where it was or how to get there. Is it still a parking lot? Can someone help me out?

What did you do in the Corps? Sop

What years were you a Corps member? 1979

The cadets practiced at Norwood Park Field House in the late 60's. Neat old place. Couldn't wait for warm weather, it was quite noisy.

Keith, in the early 70's we practiced at Sarget Welch in Skokie off of Oakton, could that be the place?

Keith, we practiced at AB Dick's parking lot. I can't take credit for remembering that, my brother Mark did.

Of course we had the Skokie Post to remember.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Line (Bells & Xylo)

What years were you a Corps member? 77-79

Interesting that A.B. Dick came up (no pun intended). I recently heard from Diane Fiduccia, and Cathy (rifle, late 70's) actually works there now. But apparently the parking lot where we practiced is now gone - replaced by a WalMart!

And Donna, I remember Sergeant Welch very well. The two parking lots were very similar (aren't they all?), but Welch had that lovely water tower.

And Diane also mentioned a place called Vapor. It sounded familiar, but I can't place it. It would have again been in the middle or late 70's.

Is the Skokie American Legion Post 320 still there?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I never practiced at Vapor, but it is or was located next to Salerno off of Howard.

Oh yeah, I remember that Vapor place too. I knew there was another place besides AB Dick. I remember that I had to drive down Oakton but that's about it. (in a '73 Ford Maverick with the am radio listening to WLS). Only the rich fancy people had cassettes you could listen to drum corp tapes on.

Re: NORWOOD PARK FIELDHOUSE/ practice sites

Yes, I remember the Sargeant Welch parking lot too .. the corps practiced there while I was an instructor. It was in Niles, east of the RR tracks on Howard Street, just by the Edens Expressway.

The AB Dick lot was only about 2 blocks away from there .. on Touhy Avenue.

The corps had music practices at the Skokie AL Post then too. Not sure if it is still there.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63; quartermaster; assistant drum instructor 1964-70

I remember the field house at Norwood Park,practicing
there the sound bouncing off the walls.Also during the summers we'd practice our drill.There's a couple
of other places we used to learn our drill,one place was the National Guard Armory on North Ave and Kedzie
right by Humboldt Park,that was around 58,59 I think.
They also held a State contest there,American Legion
because it rained most of the day,so they had to move it inside,last minute decision by the American Legion
and every corps had to revise their drill so it would
fit on the floor,and it wasn't easy.Another place that comes to mind was the Bell and Howell camera
company.That was located on McCormack and Touhy in
Lincolnwood.We would spend all day,usually on Sundays
when were learning our drill,it was interesting,especially the hot weather we had back than,that also was around 58,59 I think,we had some good times at some of those all day practices.

What did you do in the Corps? soprano and than french horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 through 1963

Bob,

According to the wonderful World Wide Web, the Skokie American Legion Post 320 still exists. There isn't much on their web site. I was hoping to find some pictures or something that may have "jogged" a memory or two.

Another question about the Skokie Post, is it in the same building? Is 8212 North Lincoln Avenue the same place we practiced? Or, has the post moved to a new location?

By the way Bob, my dad brought up the Devastation recently...and according to the latest mailing list he hasn't registered with the site. I have to admit I was shocked to hear him talk about them(?).

What years were you a Corps member? 1979

Keith,

I don't think we ever practiced there in 78 or 79. We used to practice there in the early 70's during the winter, and the cadet corps was still practicing there when I started teaching them in the fall of 1977. By 78 everything was kept on the truck all of the time.

And I can't believe your Dad would mention the Devastation - I don't remember any adults being privvy to our fantasy...especially us!

Yes, the Skokie Post was (and is) at 8212 N. Lincoln Ave, in Skokie, IL. Of course, it isn't what it what was!

The Imperials stopped practicing there in the mid 70's, maybe 1975? Not sure when they lost sponsorship of that Post.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-1963; assistant instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Dave,

I know the corps was still sponsored by Post 320 through at least 1979, because we won the state title for them that summer, although we didn't ever practice or meet there. The Cadets were still practicing there as late as 1977.

Bob,

In the late 70's, where did we practice inside? I don't have memories of early 1979 because I joined in early April. By that time of year, we were outside almost all the time learning the drill. Whatever hornline or ensemble practice we had was also outside.

However, I do remember early 1980 (late winter?) having practices inside. As a matter of fact, the last time I saw you was at an indoor winter practice and you came to visit. I remember you (spinning the ever present drum stick) and my dad talking about the Spirit of Atlanta and how challenging the drum line parts were. I didn't hang around to listen to the rest of the discussion.

...now that I think about it..seeing you at that practice is my last memory NP.

What years were you a Corps member? 79

I know in the '80s Mt. Prospect was involved, and I remember that practices were held at a school, I don't remember which one (from my very short stint as a drum instructor).

I remember practicing in an Armory. I don't remember exactly where that was either....I just remember it was big and we could do the drill in there......I remember having a camp at Wheaton College......

I can see in my mind the schools we used for indoor practice in 78 and 79, but I can't remember where they were. But we used it full time - we weren't moving from place to place.

And Rose, that was the North Avenue Armory that we used for winter marching practices in 78 and 79. I practiced there with the Cavaliers as well. In 1972 and 73 we practiced at the Navy armory (Glenview or something like that?). I remember that it had a bowling alley that we used during lunch.

yes .... the Corps used the North Avenue Armory (National Guard ) at Kedzie and North Avenue for many years. In fact we shared it with a lot of others corps! (Alternate weeks)

We also practiced at the Glenview Naval Air Station (now closed). They had a great drill hall which was fine for our use.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-1963

All fine places to remember but... the one at the top of the list had to be the Chicago Avenue Armory. Remember the one that was the polo ground with all the dust? It was always the best when the Medinah Circus was in town. They kept the elephants in the basement. Of course they walked them on the field where they left their coffee can sized souvenirs. No wonder we had to lift our legs so high.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor - Snare

What years were you a Corps member? '60-'69

HA! the Chicago Avenue Armory! Another National Guard site!

But this was different!

They used it for polo games during the polo season. HORSES! The dirt floor received some additional supplies.

And yes, the elephants!

DOWNSTAIRS ... were tanks and armored personnel carriers! Great to see!

The corps truck entered via a drive into the armory. We had a great time there for many years! (Had to get used to the smell and the "dust").

Would you believe that the caretaker actually LIVED there? He did!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-1963

A whole bunch of fun and great memories every Tuesday
night at 7:00 pm.

Horns,1st floor big room - Eddie Riemer or Rick Maass-
instructors.
Drums, Bass,Tenor & Cymals, 2nd floor medium size room - Frank Arsenault instructor
Color Guard - in the basement small room - Karl Schoch Jr.color guard sargent, instructor.

I loved every minute of this weekly ritual. Music practice inside every Tuesady, Drill practice outside
either on the park football field or Taft High Schools
footbal field, usually on friday before a big turnout
weekend.

Leave early Saturday from Raven and Highway (is our home)to where ever!

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard, Tenor Drum and Color Guard.Corp Flag bearer

What years were you a Corps member? late 1950 to the end of 1955

YES! Norwood Park Fieldhouse!

BTW .. it looks the same NOW!

I remember the upstairs room for drummers.. and being taught by Frank Arsenault, then Dick Brown!

Full corps played in the main room ... man was THAT loud!

Outside to the drill field... led by Rick Maass.

Also remember Raven and the Highway ... it was actually Raven and Circle Drive, at Avondale. I remember coming home early many mornings after turnouts! We didn't do "tours in those days ... just weekend dates and then back to work or summer school on Monday!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, asst. instructor 1964-70; quartermaster

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

We always referred to that place as Raven and the Highway. At the beginig we always departed fron that corner but just across Northwest Highway, adjancent to the railroad station building this side of the tracks Then later we would board buses at that spot you mentioned.
Thats why the Corps song got it's title, Raven and the Highway is our home.........

In 1979 we practiced at Lincoln School in Mt Prospect. The Armory was the Broadway Armory. The only reason I remember was that I quit in 79 and left Lincoln school in the middle of practice and joined the Cavies. I did eventually come back to the Imperials before the season started.

I remember the Armory because we use to take the El to practice.

Oh yeah,

I learned to march in the NP field house!

Reminds me of Joan Briske teaching us marching in 1970. (Cadets, that is)