Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Imperials and Cadet Corps

Not sure at all how this disparity developed or why it continued. Back in the early 1940's, there was only ONE corps.
Then, the Corps developed a Cadet (or training) corps for the younger members..

By the time I joined the Imperials in 1958, there seemed to be very little communication with or coordination between the two corps. How sad!

More support and common training would have been wonderful! Maybe more existed than I knew of, but it sure was hidden!

One thing I Do know is that when Bill Strauts and I were doing the Imperials drum instruction in 1964-66, we met with the cadet instructors to develop a coordinated instructional program. We had also hoped to have some meetings, with playing exhibits and seminars, for both drum lines, but this just never happened due to time, etc.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, assistant instructor 1964-71, quartermaster 1964-66

Re: Imperials and Cadet Corps

I also recollect there were some parent group political issues in 1959 through 1961. The Cadets manager in 1959 became the corps president in 1960 and 1961. Then after the 1961 season the Cadets manager ran against the incumbent corps president (the old Cadets manager from 1959) and got himself elected--more Cadet parents showed up for the election the Imperial parents.

There certainly wasn't any ill will between the groups in the early 70's. We didn't do a lot of things together, but only because of differing schedules. Both corps were VERY supportive of each other, especially at those shows where we both performed (AL and VFW State, Illinois Association, etc.). The Cadets were made to feel very welcome at 'A' corps rehearsals, Cherry Tree, Pancake Breakfast, etc. And the goal of most Cadets was to "move up" to the 'A' corps when old enough.

As for management/instruction, Buddy Grana was managing the Cadets when I joined in 70, then moved up to the 'A' corps in 71. My Dad took over managing the Cadets, then moved up to quartermaster of the 'A' corps when my younger brother moved up in 73. Dick Snyder was teaching the Cadet horns, George Munzer the drums, and Joan Briskie the guard and marching, and I remember 'A' corps members and staff helping on occasion.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I started in cadets and moved up to the A corps. My dad was still teaching the hornline then in 76 for the cadets and I remember anytime we did have a gig with the A corps they cheered for us and we for them. I never felt there was any conflict at all during those years.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 76-78, A Corps 79-83

Clarification:

I never meant that there was any ill will or bad feelings between the corps .. it just seemed that they went their separate ways most of the time!

It would have been better to have more support of each group by the other! And a better feeling of "togetherness".

Maybe some of the corps in the later years were better on this score!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, assistant instructor 1964-71, quartermaster 1964-66

The corps management and board were entirely separate. The people running the A corps and the one's running the cadets never communicated as far as I know. But I do know that when I was in the cadets, we idolized the A corps and could just about name all the members. When I got to the A corps, we dissoved the cadets (we brought the whole corps up), so I really don't know the reciprical situation.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 70-75 Cadets, 76-81 A Corps

Does anyone know exactly when the Cadets totally disbanded? I know, as Jim says, that they were all dissolved into the A corps at one point in the mid-70's, but they were restarted in some form by 1978, because I was teaching them before I was called up to the A corps. But I can't remember if they still performed. Anyone from the last years remember?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

As far as we could find in the History search, the Cadet Corps was not fielded in 1984. The Imperials were then a parade corps only. In 1985, all corps operations stopped.

But, when I marched .. and perhaps later .. the Corps had only ONE Board of Directors, and that Board apppointed a manager for each corps. Unfortunately, most of the time the corps had very little to do with each other ... except at Corps fundraising and social events!

When I marched, the A corps members liked the cadets and supported them.

Jim mentioned that when he joined the A corps, the entire B corps did so ... and the Cadets were gone for a while. That happened several times during the Corps history. In fact, that was the primnary reason for the Cadet corps .. to be a training corps for the younger members.

hmmmmm cadets all taken up to A corps in the mid 70's? That musta been a great idea of Jim Fiduccia, since his daughter was still a cadet when he took over management when the A corps "folded" in 76. When I marched A corps, there was a lot of animosity FROM the cadets mostly brought about by management......we seldom got anybody from cadets to A corps, most of our new members were off the street or from Des Plaines VanGuard when they folded. When the A corps folded in mid 70s most of our members who were able to drive went to the Cavies and Phantom. So in order for there to be an A corps after that, they probably HAD to bring the entire cadets up.

What did you do in the Corps? COLORguard

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1976

What happened was that in 1975 the Cadet corp was larger then the A corp. The A corp was talking about folding. In 1976 a majority of the cadets went to the A corp. I think we only had about 5 or 6 people from the 75 A corp march with the 76 corp. The amazing part was that the cadets still thrived in 1976 also. It was a good move that saved the A corp. My dad was teaching both horn lines for a few month until the A corp hired Brad Ramie. That was probably (at least in my years) the closet the two corps came to working together.

What did you do in the Corps? Horn Line

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 1972-1975 A corp 1976-1981