Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Traditional drum corps" vs "new" drum corps

OK... HERE IS A NEW SUBJECT ON WHICH TO GET YOUR OPINIONS. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ... JUST OPINIONS.

WHICH KIND OF "DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS" DO YOU REALLY PREFER TO SEE?

(NOTE: THESE DESCRIPTIONS MAY BE A BIT COLORED BY MY OWN PREFERENCES)

TRADITIONAL CORPS:
1. Present understandable and recognizable
music
2. Include color presentation in their show
3. Really march... without dancing, running
and prancing.
4. Present real rudimental drumming,
without table top sounding drums.

CURRENT TOP DCI CORPS:
1. Musical programs which
feature "original" compositions or
obscure music.
2. programs which feature:"dance troupes"
(not color guards) and wierd "moving
amoeba drills".

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, assistant instructor 1964-71, quartermaster 1964-66

Re: "Traditional drum corps" vs "new" drum corps

I generally vote for Dave's view except I don't get into percusion. I have the DVD of the 1976 DCI championship (or rather Bill Koenig has it on loan since last October). The real color guards in those performances really make the corps look larger and sharper. The present dance groups dressed in workout leotards with weird colors that don't match the rest of the unit look out of place.

The way DCI has gone, the only fans are alumni from the past decade who don't know any better, the DCI hierarchy that makes it's living off the programs, and of course the parents and relatives of the kids in the corps who are there to support their kids.

Having seen a video of last year's Royal(Imperials)Aires alumni corps, I'd much rather watch a show with that type of corps than a DCI contest. The kids in DCI are more talented but most of the music leaves me flat. When I saw the Blue Devils this weekend, I was enthralled by their brass section. However, even in their 2004 show, the only number easily recognized was "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess. It would be a real treat to hear that 2004 brass line play some of their shows from the late 1970s and early 1980s when DCI still resembled "classic" drum and bugle corps.

I like both traditional and new drum corps, neither one more than the other.

-Terri

What did you do in the Corps? french horn

What years were you a Corps member? \\\\\\'72 - \\\\\\'73

I don't have much to add, other than to say that I am in total agreement with Dave on this subject. When the DCI first was formed, I thought it made sense and I really liked seeing Nationals on PBS. Today, it sucks, and I frankly am embarassed to identify with it.

But I have even a better piece to offer. I have a cousin that was in the Belleville Black Knights way back in 1958, maybe 1959 or 1960. After he left the Knights, his only contact with marching was while he was in the Army in the mid-60s. But I have talked with him about Drum Corps every chance I have had for the past 40-odd years, and he's never forgotten what real Drum Corps was all about. He recounts the night they beat the Cavies every chance he gets.

I've told him recently how disappointing the DCI format has become, but he has had trouble grasping the issue. His typical response has been along the lines of "How can anybody not like Drum Corps?" I've told him that he would have to see it to understand. I've also told him that the only true Drum Corps as we used to know them that are left are in the form of the alumni corps, of which the Royal Airs have been proven success.

So anyway, today I get an E-mail from him where he describes watching an actual DCI show that happened to come to his little town of Pittsburg, Kansas over the weekend. It speaks for itself, so I'll just cut and paste it below. Remember as you read this that he hasn't seen any Drum Corps competition at all in almost forty years.

"On a different note-the DCI had a show here last night-right on our little campus!! We had the Americanos, Memphis Sound, Casper Troopers, Blue Knights, an outfit from Dubuque, IA, the Glassmen, and the Phanthom Regiment, or "Phanthom Regime" (as our head-up-his-ass announcer called them).

"The girls of the Americanos dropped their rifles so much, I thought they were French! I now know what you mean by drum corps changing a lot of its character--I very much enjoyed the pageantry, but so much is lost in the military flavor, and the music is a marching counterpart of new age drivel one hears in a Dentist's Office.

"Way too many flags and Xylophones. I was amazed at how they just kinda wandered out onto the field until it was time to form up and start......... most of all, I miss the musicality of the experience. The flashiness didn't make up for that."

I think it's fascinating to see how somebody that has been away for so long - somebody that would shiver like I do at the appearance of a true Drum Corps, trust me - how that somebody actually reacts at the first exposure to what DCI has become. He hated it, because like most of us, he loves the true Drum Corps style that we all grew up with.

Trouble is, that DCI makes money doing it this way, and until that changes, I doubt that DCI will change. I'd rather just see them go away.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Very interesting observation by your cousin Larry,it only took one contest for him to form that opinion.
he's right about how it's changed.My feelings about
DCI are the same,it's not true Drum Corps.There was nothing like that in your face music,and that crisp,
sharp M and M.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957-1963

I've apparently stirred some memories, as I received another message from my cousin with an even better description of his observations. Since he's a psychology professor with a PHD, I'll offer that he does know what he is talking about.

"I have thought further about the DCI changes. I think it reflects many of the cultural changes we've seen in the last few decades. Most notably, it includes a move away from military influence, with an absence of the Guarded American Flag.

"Every Corps here had dancers with rifles and sabres, but not one had the Stars and Stripes on the field. The symbolic protection represents the value we have for our country and flag.

"I think it is a sad metaphor to have the plastic sabres and wooden rifles left in the show for flash, but the reason the are there, namely the Flag, is gone (Color Guard replaced by Dancers in silk).

"If you grasp that, then it's a short putt to understanding what they've done to the music and marching. Unfortunately, it probably reflects diminishing patriotism and dedication in our culture.

"I also think that the old Black Knights, Imperials, or even Cavvies would not survive in this climate--the replacement of substance with pageantry has been too dramatic-and our culture obviously does not value things military. In fact, as I think through it, I believe that current Corps have morphed into really well practiced marching bands playing a field form of Muzak.

"During my time in the Black Knights, I saw enough great traditional junior and senior corps to know what it was all about---in those days, anyway. I recall visiting you in Chicago and watching the Imperials practice, and once Freddy [his brother, now deceased] and I even traveled with you on your bus to a local show ---I recall Koenig [yeah, he remembers our famous Will Koenig, even over 40 years later] menacing passersby by flexing his ham-like biceps out of the bus window. Good times, amigo.

"I'm comforted by the knowledge that we got to participate in something that meaningful and character building. I know it taught me lessons about work, quality, and fidelity that have served me well throughout life. And I still get the feelings for it through my soul when I hear the horns and drums.....nothing like it."

So, I really think that says it all, my friends. How can any of us put what has happened to Drum Corps in any better words? I can't.

You just have to listen to somebody that remembers Will Koenig's biceps.

I am going to try to get my cousin to Scranton this year.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Larry,

Your cousin has added a number of solid points to this discussion and similar postings in previous topics. His statement: "In fact, as I think through it, I believe that current Corps have morphed into really well practiced marching bands playing a field form of Muzak," says it all.

Based on what the San Francisco Renegades have morphed into over the past two years it seems that the competitive senior corps in DCA have gone the same way as DCI--marching bands playing Muzak. Could be that the most entertaining part of DCA championships will be the exhibition performances of the alumni corps like the Royal Airs.

I know at least ONE drum corps STILL carries the American flag (and they get a HUGE response for it) - the Racine Kilties Senior Corps. I know because my Dad carries it, and you couldn't pry it out of his hands - or get him off the field - for ANYTHING!

And I think the writer's point is a good one - patriotism in our country has declined, and drum corps took the flag out with it.

What's interesting is that those corps that still do "traditional" things, like carry the flag, do a flag pres, a company front, or whatever, get a MUCH larger response at shows than the current DCI corps. Fans have been writing in to the drum corps papers for YEARS about their unhapiness with the direction current shows are taking, but the corps don't listen. However, in their defense, they're playing to win, and the current crop of judges won't reward a song with a melody or a drill with a straight line. When I go to a drum corps show now, I'm IMPRESSED with the difficulty of what they do - I'm just not ENTERTAINED.

But, to head off Terri, the kids still get the same basic things out of it that we all did, except that they cater in large part to a MUCH different type of kid. No more walking in off the street with no musical or dance ability. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to all those kids who used to be "saved" by drum corps but can no longer get in?

OK, that's enough of a soapbox for this morning!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-83, 78-79

WOW! Bob, John, Larry and many others have added quite a bit of substance to this posting thread!

I am happy to see that the ROYAL AIRS ... and a few other corps .. have taken the trouble to act and actually DO something to counter this sad trend.

But. I am with Bob Shreffler on this .. where do the "untrained' local kids who need such corps turn now? The ghosts of the hundreds of dead corps are shouting now!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, assistant instructor 1964-71, quartermaster 1964-66

You know, I've been missing the Imperials folks for decades now. It's good to see some familiar names.

Anyhow, I am a huge modern drum corps fan. I am still involved in the activity (instruct the Govenaires brassline from St Peter, MN) and must take this opportunity to put in my two cents as well.

Where there are many things that were so endearing to the traditional ways of drum corps, there were also many weak things, such as horn lines playing too loud and thus out of tune, concert formations where the corps would literally stop the drill, restrictive symmetry throughout the entire show, and inspection. On the positve side, one would leave the shows singing the tunes played by the drum corps, there was the patriotic aspect, and an entire corps pumping their legs at a high mark time caused a high-energy impact on the viewer.

Now things are very different. Some things are still weak, such as the lack of decent soloists, music that is not as translatable to the audience, and a judging system that relies too heavily on opinions. But, on the other hand, drum corps are playing with state of the art musical quality, the drills are more artistic, and percussion books are much more musical.

Which is better? They're both incredible. Will it be totally different in ten years? You can bet on it. Will people still prefer the drum corps from their own era? Unfortuneately, yes. Enjoy what you have, there's a ton of beautiful things that will never change (the smell of the diesel buses, the site of a drum corps warming up before a performance, the people). Don't be so critical and enjoy.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 70-75 Cadets, 76-81 A Corps

Well, as I said when I started this subject: there is no "right" or "wrong" answer on this.

Some people prefer the "traditional" drum corps program, other the "modern".

Most people know that my preference is for a corps program which provides music I understand, solid marching, good rudimental drumming and a flavor of patriotism.

Jim Snyder is correct in pointing out the deficiencies of many drum corps from the 1950's theorugh 1970's. There are also problems with the "modern" corps.

But, my REAL concern .. beyond the field programs .... is the environment which has caused the demise of so many LOCAL drum corps. Corps which provided local youth the opportunity to share in this activity.
Kids who did not know how to read music or play an instrument. Kids who had no other activities.

This has been the result of many factors; rising costs; DCI and their focus on BIG corps, touring, expensive instruments; changes in the culture and growth of other youth activities; etc.

Each year the big DCI corps have aufitions to fill open spots. Hundreds of people from across the country show up ... the Cavaliers had over 300 last year! All to fill about 40 or 50 spots!

So... what happens with the 250 who were not selected? What happens to the local youth who could benefit from membership, but have no chance of making it?

That is the real problem which the drum corps actvity faces. Continuing the present path, there might be only 10 super SHOW CORPS left in the US ...

To add to Dave’s comments, the drum and bugle corps that were founded before and after World War II by individuals like Mr. Widmeyer, were created to serve the youth in the local areas where they were based. The sponsors of these corps were veteran’s organizations like the VFW and American Legion or youth focused programs like the CYO, Boys Scouts, YMCA, etc. The corps were open to anyone who wanted to join regardless of talent or experience. The kid’s were taught how to play an instrument and march.

From my own personal experience in Norwood, there were a number of my contemporaries who had no music background when first joining the corps and became very accomplished musicians. The activity provided a means of developing their skills as well as learning team work, developing a work ethic, and developing life long friendships.

When DCI was formed, this started to change and the activity evolved into what it is today. Aside from the changes on the field (music selection, drills, singing and dancing) a more important element of this evolution is that the activity is no longer serving the local kids. It is now an activity that is focused on the kids who are reasonably accomplished musicians or performing artists who also generally come from a more affluent background than the local kids of the past.

The DCI concept of drum and bugle corps has essentially become a marching band equivalent of the select sports teams (baseball, soccer, softball, basketball) that are formed during the summer for talented high school and college athletes.

I don’t enjoy sitting through a DCI corps show because it is not entertaining. The kids are talented, the sound is cleaner and of a better quality; but the programs are flat and the music esoteric. In fact in my case it has gotten to the point that a couple of weeks ago when there was a DCI show in Hayward CA, I decided to go to watch the Red Sox play the Giants (Giants won).

Your points on the demise of the local drum corps are music to my ears. I've witnessed the downfall of the small corps at the hands of the big corps and there has to be something done about it or drum corps will cease to exist.

The people at DCI do not care about this phenomenon. I know this first hand from when I was in Chicago last December for the DCI winter meeting. My present corps, the Govenaires, were forced by DCI, along with all the other midwest corps, to choose between DCI or DCM. DCI unpurposely scheduled their Central Championship opposite the DCM championship in DeKalb to force corps to make this choice. The four seniors and the Royalaires decided before hand to pledge our allegiance to DCM for all the great things that have done for senior corps and not to DCI because they admittedly have no desire to promote organizations with members over 21. So this is what brought us to the DCI meeting.

The meeting was very professional. I was quite impressed with Dan Acheson (DCI director) and Greg Orwell (Colts director) and their strong presence and their dedication to good meeting etiquette. I wasn't happy, though, at the conversation during our dinner break when the senior corps representatives ate with Acheson. He has a single mind set and that's making money. He doesn't care about anything that he cannot use to his advantage to create capital for DCI. He does not care about community, tradition, or the scaffolding drum corps was built upon. For example, when we asked him about George Hopkins' request to vote on adding saxophones to drum corps every year, Acheson replied without hesitation that there is a whole market of sax players that DCI hasn't reached yet. When we asked about the justifications on not paying senior corps in California to do shows, he told us that it was in DCI's best interest not to spend money on things they're getting for free.

Well, I'm through venting. Whether you like the modern drum corps or not is strictly an individual opinion, but if you don't want to see the end of drum corps support DCM and DCA. I know my drum corps is out to prove that the small town, community based drum corps is still a possibility and is essential to the existence of drum corps.

Jim:

glad to see your post. agree that local corps are important to the long term viability of drum and bugle corps! See the new post on this topic.

You know, some people have complained that.. if you are against DCI, you are against the kids in DCI corps!

Of course, that is not true at all. The kids in DCI corps are free to join and do what they like. But, other venues should exist too .. and when DCI works to prevent that, others should fight back.

Hi Jim!

I have read this entire thread and was pleased to see you are still active in D&B Corps.

As, you probably would guess, I am falling on the side of the traditional drum corps fans. DCI has done so much damage to the activity, it is almost impossible to see the activity surviving another 10 years without DCM and DCA having a prominent role.

My hangup in regard to modern corps is the absolute dominance of the visual over the musical. In the "old days" the visual shows were built around the music. It now seems that the reverse is in effect. The show concepts are being created by 'half assed' interior decorators. The minute that they went to such a heavy dominance in the visual area, I knew the activity was in REAL trouble!

To be sure, the top corps of the modern era play with a great deal more musicality than in the past. But so did Lawrence Welk! LOL
This does appeal to many college wind ensemble directors who now instruct these units, HOWEVER, it does NOT, in any shape, form or fashion appeal more to ANYONE who was around in the 60's,70's and/or 80's or what can be considered the 'Golden' years of Drum Corps. The shows themselves are now very sophisticated and demands an incredible amount of effort from it's members. This leads to a dramatic turnover from burnout that wasn't the case in years past. Which leads to the next problem, which is, how will DCI deal with this problem. Seems to me that they are and have been headed in the direction of becoming Bands. I taught High School Competitive Band for 15 years after I left the drum corps activity and have seen how the drum corps have indeed morphed into 'very well rehearsed bands', as was stated in an earlier post in this thread. The next step obviously is to add woodwind instruments as George Hopkins has tried to do for quite a long while. Once that happens, there may be nothing left that distinguishes a drum and bugle corps from a good competitive marching band.
Once this occurs, what will be the 'draw' for a kid to belong to a DCI unit, when he can belong to his local band at a sustantial savings in personal time as well as the savings that will occur financially?

Drum & Bugle Corps at one time possessed a unique style and sound that isn't present in today's units. One can trace that back to when DCI voted to allow multi keyed instruments. The Bugle in 'G', whether it has 1,2 or 3 valves has a unique coloration that cannot be reproduced by Bb, Eb or C instruments. Believe me, I tried for many years to get that unique sound with my many competitive bands and alas, without success.

I would love to be transported one more time to Whitewater, Wisconsin, sitting in the stands and listen to Spirit of Atlanta pin my ears back with "Georgia" and just one more time experience the excitement listening to corps that had a unique flavor and sound that only they possessed. Unlike the cookie cutter, generic corps sound and drills of today. Give me a time machine so I can go back just one more time and see a show with the Kilts, (old) Cavaliers, Blue Stars, Anaheim Kingsmen, Spirit of Atlanta, (old) Santa Clara, Madison, Troopers and Des Plaines Vanguard. You could also throw in Blue Rock, 27th Lancers and a few eastern corps.

A person used to be able to stand in line for a hotdog and know which corps was on JUST by their sound. Now, I stand in line for a hotdog for most of the show because it indeed is just too difficult to stomach the total lack of competitiveness at the average DCI show. When I marched in DCI with The Kilts, EVERY show had 5 or 6 or 7 QUALITY corps. Now the shows have maybe one or two corps of quality and then you have to retreat to under the stands for that hotdog while the minimalistic corps imitate the top corps unsuccessfully. Give me the days when the smaller corps had their own style and uniqueness. Give me a show like we used to go to when you were in the Imperials! Less musical, absolutely.....but much much more exciting!

Sorry for the rant. But I have to say that the only place DCI is leading the activity is toward oblivion. Then it will be up to corps like the Royal Airs and Kilts to help the activity reinvent itself. It is my hope that I will live long enough to see that day.

Take care Jim and email me so we can talk and catchup on things.

Regards,

Jerry Davidson

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Arranger & Corps Manager

Right on JD. Our paths always seem to cross. Go figure.

On the topic: How can drum corps be saved? We seem to all agree that DCI does not have the best interests of the activity in mind. We mostly seem to agree that some of the aspects of past drum corps are missing thus subtracting from the identity of drum corps (especially versus marching band). Is there anything we can do besides complain? I, personally, am trying to promote the idea that small corps that don't have big budgets can be entertaining and competitive. Hoping that more corps will start to appear. But, it seems like an uphill battle. My corps does well in competition and people who see us are entertained, but getting people out to shows without the DCI powerhouses is extremely difficult in the midwest. My own parents were not going to go to DeKalb this year because it's a senior/Div 3 show. I don't know how this thing is going to work out. Any solutions?

GOOD POINT JIM!

Yes, again our paths cross and I am happy to hear you are doing well.

As for the point you articulated so well. I think there are a number of things that the veterans of the 'former' activity called Drum & Bugle Corps can do to reestablish the 'non' DCI movement.

1) Alumni of former corps band together and create NEW drum corps that are in the image of what was formerly successful. Local corps that recruit and teach their own talent.

2) Attach these corps together in an organization like DCM or even a NEW organization that could be called 'Traditional Drum Corps of America' or something that is appropriate.

3) Set rules and guidelines for performance and equipment that is traditional in nature.

4) Go to each other's shows to establish a 'circuit' of shows.

5) Share instructional talent for the betterment of all, NOT the betterment of the instructors wallet.

6) Find local sponsors and do only local events and shows.

7) Do NOT establish travel schedules that are cost prohibitive.

Create the shows to entertain!

9) Make the activity fun and make sure it reinforces correct values and philosophies.

10) Work FOR the kids! Not for individual glory.

etc.etc. etc.

How would it get done? How did RA start up again? All it will take is a group of people willing to try.
I would be willing to come out of retirement for such a venture. 35 years of experience might be of some value.

I applaud the Senior Corps for sticking with DCM. Now it will take a few other corps to stick out their necks and take a chance. DCI cannot do without the smaller corps to fill their shows. What are they going to do? Not schedule corps that take DCM shows? Who need Whom more?
Amazing as it may seem, the 'non' DCI corps have DCI over a barrel! DCI cannot continue to operate as it does now without them. If they all break away, DCI FOLDS!

Just some ideas and some food for thought.

Regards,
Jerry

When I win the lotto, I am going to buy out DCI and bring back tradition. Maybe not entirely, but at least some.

I was clearly the youngest(shhhh don't tell, I was only 11)member in the corps when I first joined, came from a musical family(the only one without musical ability) and found a home on the COLORguard of the corps(although beit was as sidearm, but HEY someone had to protect old glory!) I worked so hard practicing flag to be able to carry one, but a frame of 4foot3inches doesn't mix well with a 6 foot pole! But yet I still tried and tried and finally made it!

Now, you have to AUDITION for a corps as if it were a musical broadway play! Speaking of which, while I was in New York City, I went to see Blast! and it was exactly what I thought it should be! But I feel thats where the flash belongs, in exhibition or on the stage, not on the field. My children were never able to join a corps sadly. Our location made it difficult, but more importantly we didn't have like $3000 for a season for their dues.

I've seen too many of the 'lost' kids nowadays. Those that are lucky have a Boys or Girls Club available to them, but there really isn't much else and they end up in gangs and killing each other over a pair of sneakers.

I admittedly haven't been to a corps show for eons. I think when I was just a FEW corps had dancers and singers, but not many. Blue Devils did. Monday, I am taking my 75 year old mother to Drums Across the Tri-State in Huntington, WV so we'll see if its really worth the 4 hour each way drive and the $50 dollars for tickets.

I miss the good old days where the one thing we most wanted to do was to remember our undergarments for the uniform skirt(oh my does anybody remember wearing a skirt?)

What did you do in the Corps? COLORguard

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1976

I do agree with the bringing back some tradition.

I also want to point out that a lot (not all) of what is being said here is already in place with DCM. All local shows with a local Championship would be the strongest point.

One of the easiest things everyone could do to support the smaller non Div 1 DCI corps' is to buy tickets to a DCM contest, watch the shows, and give the kids a standing "O" as the parade by. This one simple thing would make a world of difference to help DCM (and the smaller local corps') survive. And...I would hardly call an entertaining evening watching a drum corps competition "work".

The next simplest thing to do is to bring people to the shows with you. Introduce neighbors, coworkers, in-laws, or whoever to the activity. If you can, bring kids of marching age. After the shows, walk over to the busses parked in the distance and mingle with the kids who march. If your lucky, you may even spot an old friend who is still involved in corps after all these years.

As a member of the Royal Airs, we have performed in front of a few small crowds at the DCM shows. It is a little disappointing, but we have also gotten to recognize some of these very young kids and I think we have established a great relationship with them. These are still the greatest kids on earth.

Who knows, maybe you'll be like me and just can't handle sitting on the side line. You may want to get involved somehow. That...is another subject.

Don't forget, DeKalb is this Saturday. Personally, I'm hoping to run in to some old friends. If you go (and you should), stop by and say "hi".

What did you do in the Corps? 2nd Sop

What years were you a Corps member? 1979

Yes, Keith, DCM is still promoting the community drum corps thing, but I'm afraid it's on a downswing. We lost a bunch of DCM shows in Minnesota. Some were taken over by DCI, others just stop having a show. DCM needs more than just people in the stands. They need shows and drum corps.

And Jerry, you are so right about DCI needing more than just the Division I corps. That's why they invited us all out to their winter meeting: to bribe us away from DCM. I think it's just a matter of time before the Div II and III corps leave DCI as well. They are not wanted. Then they have shows with three or four corps and the people in the stands won't pay their crazy prices anymore.

And finally, Karen, enjoy the show. Things are different, but one thing is still the same. The kids on the field still work their butts off doing what we use to do. Go in with an open mind and you should enjoy the show.

I, personally, am going to Drum Beauty in Stillwater, MN tonight. Don't worry, I'm going to support some of the former members of the Govenaires who are marching in the Colts, not DCI. In other words, I'm not paying to go into the show, just going to visit.

I have to share a story about something that just happened recently.

My brother who never marched, but followed frum corps when I marched and taught, noticed that they had a show in Canton, Michigan. Canton is about 30 minutes away from where I live. It had Madison and I think Phantom and 3 other smaller units. Well, he asked if I was interested in going. I asked who was sponsoring the show and he said a local band and DCI. After thinking about it and hearing what they were asking for tickets, I declined because there just wasn't enough interest on my part to pay $15 to see 5 corps, 3 of which were division III corps.

I don't think it's because I have lost interest in drum & bugle corps. I think it is because I don't find the show concepts of this era interesting. Does that make sense?

The only corps show I would be interested in seeing these day would be one that had RA and Kilts and the senior corps. They come closest to what I remember as the activity that I Lived for so many years ago. Through all of my posts regarding old vs new styles, I must admit that the tradition and patriotism that were shown by the units of past years is what I miss the most. Along with the out of tune hornlines that would make your pulse rapid and your heart sing.

Hope some of this has made sense.

Jerry

Jerry,

I've had the same reaction. I just don't enjoy watching a show. As I said in an earlier post, I decided to attend a major league baseball game in mid-June, rather than attend the only show DCI show in the San Francisco area this year. I would not have done that five or ten years ago.

I don't know if I miss the out of tune horn lines. For me it's more the music that the corps play. I really would like to hear what the mid-70s to early 80s performances of Madison, the Blue Devils and Atlanta would sound like with the new horns.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-66 (Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66)

John,

Although those horn lines would be better in tune with the new horns, I think you would be disappointed in the sound - because the B flats just DON'T have the power that the old G bugles did.

And I agree with you guys about the shows. I went to DCI finals when it was last here in Orlando, but mostly to see old friends from corps I marched with. There are 2 shows coming up here in Orlando - ALL of the top corps spread over two nights - but I doubt I'll spring for the $50 it would cost me to see them (and that's without taking anyone with me). I'll probably go watch a couple of corps rehearse - again, to see people I know from the past. I can't remember the last time a corps show really entertained me, and I'm pretty sure that whoever it was probably placed quite low in the scores.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I was in Drum Corps during the time as the saying goes
When Drum Corps was Drum Corps,Dave you can relate to
this.It's a shame that it's come down to this.Everything has changed to the point that what Drum Corps was in the beginning and what it is now,there's nothing reognizeable,nothing famailier,the music,the drill's,if that's what you call it today.The music,the majority of what is played
people really have no idea what it is,I for one have that problem as well,even though I listen to a wide
range of music a lot.
I've listened to some recordings of a few of the
DCI corps the Blue Devils,Santa Clara from the 70's
and 80's not once or twice but many times and the reason why is because I've been trying to find something good about it,and I can't.Sure the kids might be better at playing their horns because most
of them have been taking music in the schools that they attend during the off season,and the majority
ot these kids are from out of state,a small percentage
are local.The drill they do,is that what they call it?
today,I'm not sure,but the few times I've seen them
do it,I really don't have to see it again.I have many
recordings that I have collected over the years,and I
have listened to them quite a few times not only
corps from DCI but corps from the past,and to be honest with everyone I'd match up horn lines and drum
lines with what they have now,but you have to realize to these are horn lines that used bugles,we didn't
have trumpets.I can imagine the music we could've played if we used those in our horn lines.I've tried to keep a opened mind about DCI,tried to find something I liked but honestly,I can't.But I remember
a long time ago I couldn't stand swiss cheese of any
kind,I didn't even like to look at it,now I just love
it.But really just give me your old fashioned drum and
bugle corps period.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957-1963