Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Airs Senior Exhibition Corps 2004- first show

Friday June 18 is their first show of the year. Jitters. Worries. Uncertainty about the drill. Maybe rain too.

Not to worry! Their show is really good .. you'll love the music!

The crowd will LOVE the corps again and the members will have a total blast!

Some have suggested that the corps is now something like the "Royal Imperials", due to the high number of Norwood people in the corps.

While this could be true numerically, we should all realize that the NEW corps is something thay have all built together, and they should be proud of it AS IT IS.

It should be the Royal Airs Senior Exhibition Corps. And we should all be glad it is there to show new junior corps members, and the general drum corps audiences, just what a traditional drum corps was like.

Hope we hear a report of the show!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, assistant instructor 1964-71, quartermaster 1964-66

Re: Royal Airs Senior Exhibition Corps 2004- first show

I started to post something earlier...I just never finished.

Well...my response may be a little different since this was my first show in 24 years.

First, we practiced in a light drizzle on Friday. I was expecting everyone to be real uptight and short tempered. However, this was not the case. While I think there was some nervousness, I really didn't sense any panic. Paul and John Zimny have done a great job with the corps.

Show time!!

I was waiting for the adrenaline rush. I had no clue when it would happen....or if it would happen. I was thinking maybe when I put the full uniform on for the first time? Nope...not yet. Maybe when we warm up in the dark being eaten alive by mosquitoes? Nope..not yet. Maybe as we march over to the field? Nope..not yet. Maybe when I see the audience for the first time. Nope..not yet. I was amazed at how calm I was as we stood there watching the end of The Cavaliers show from the end zone. A guard member next to me started to get a little nervous and other guard members did a great job calming her down.

We marched up to the starting line, bowed our heads and went back to attention. Roderick did his drum major salute thing and started to count. That's when it happened!! Roderick started to clap and POW!! WHAT A RUSH!!! I can't ever remember sweating so much in a 5 second time span.

The performance is kind of a blur. I remember we did some things well..and some things we did better in practice. Personally, it really didn't matter as long as it wasn't embarrassing. It was a blast!!

Being under the lights performing with the greatest people I've ever met made me feel like a kid again. If I could explain it in words, I would....but I can't. What a great weekend!! The really cool thing is that we are doing it again this weekend..and then the next...and the next...

....by the way Billy. I never had to go

What did you do in the Corps? 2nd Sop

What years were you a Corps member? 1979