Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LOCAL Corps vs DCI?

Jim Snyder replied to the "traditional drum corps" VS "modern drum corps" topic with an important thought.

In the past, the discussion was about the style of PROGRAM .. the music, field shows, instruments, dancing, costumes and the like. That is a good discussion and the choice is really one of personal preference.

But Jim, along with others,has raised the issue of the DCI "mindset", which does not support local drum corps and favors the "big" corps. It seems that money is the real god for DCI here!

So .. how can normal folks help support the rebuilding of community drum corps?
I don't know all the answers, but supporting DCM sounds like a good first step!

Re: LOCAL Corps vs DCI?

David,

I totally agree that supporting DCM and DCA and ANY other association would be a step in the right direction toward reestabishing the 'local' drum corps movement. DCI has done NOTHING to support the smaller corps except attempt to fill their shows with them, since they can't fill the show themselves because they killed off all of the medium range corps with their unreasonable travel schedules. There is no way that the 'average' drum corps could meet those requirements and their aren't enough local shows to sustain a program. Obviously the competitiveness of two or three decades ago is not there anymore because of their short sightedness and their attitude toward competing organizations that could help sustain the Non DCI corps. DCI has been like a vampire and has sucked the life's blood out of every other organization from their inception. It is my belief that it has been their intention to remove all competition and any organization that could possibly stand in the way of their utter dominance and control of the activity. I still remember Illinois Association, Badgerland, DCM, VFW, American Legion plus countless state organizations for the activity. DCI has systematically destroyed each one of these organizations through their incideous, selfcentered, monopolistic philosophy

Never has it been more evident than now as to DCI's 'Real' intent and philosophy. They have become MUCH WORSE than the organization that was the reason for their organization to begin with. VFW protected the smaller organizations so that they would survive, can DCI say the same thing? Absolutely NOT! What was VFW's major sin? Controlling the score sheets so that individual performance actually meant something? Doesn't in hindsight seem like they were that far off does it?

Any talk by DCI of support for the smaller corps is just that...talk. They would seem to be happy to have 10-12 groups that all have shows like Blast. Unfortunately they haven't taken a good look at Blast, because in the Blast show is alot of crowd appealing music.

Time for people to take notice of what is happening in Chicago with RA and in Racine with the Kilts. Now, the trick is, instead of turning them into senior corps they should find a way for their alumni to band together and create junior corps and also create their own association to compete in that is SEPERATE from DCI.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Regards,

Jerry

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Arranger & Corps Manager

You know, after reading the posts towards this and considering ALL the alumni of ALL corps of the golden years(hehehe), I am wondering if somehow someway a new organization can be formed to support the more traditional way. Sure, lets have some flash and color(omg that word again!)but lets bring it back to the community and instead of pouring our money into purchasing tickets for DCI, take what you would have paid for a DCI ticket and put it towards support of the smaller corps. All it needs is a good organizer and a lot of work. I can do any internet based work if needed(including web page building and research, etc) but unfortunately, I am not a good organizer, just a big dreamer.

Some say its the teen that has lost the interest in corps. I feel its the corps that has lost interest in the teen.

What did you do in the Corps? COLORguard

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1976

DCM has been stripped and left ot wither on the vine. I used to go to DCM every year as I could see every Corps in the entire midwest.

Now DCM is only the smaller corps. This might sound wrong but now I will nto go to any show this year as I can't really aford to fgo to 2 shows, and I building a new house. But several years ago, I developed a Drum Corps marketing strategy and thought about sending it to DCI. Then I thought better of it.

It was a simple strategy with steps on how to implement. It was primarialy aimed at smaller corps'. And the tactics involved cost effective (or no cost) guerilla marketing techniques that small corps could use to promote themselves.

It was based on the following: Awareness => Interest => Participation/Involvement. It all comes down to a numbers game. If only 10% of the people you reach join a drum corps, then the more people you reach the more people you will get to participate. Now how do you reach those people? That is what my plan addressed. I'd be happy to post it, or send it to David Borck.

Examples of the guerilla marketing tactics would involve passing out brochures/leaflets during parades. Doing the same for practices, having somone available to explain to people who watch practices what it is all about. etc.....

What did you do in the Corps? Drums

What years were you a Corps member? 1980 through 1983

How to help local corps ...

some alums have indicated a desire to help local corps. Besides doing something to start or support a corps in your community, here is another idea:

Contact DCM and offer your help! Some have marketing skills, some have Internet skills. Whatever. Give them a call!

The DCM director, Roman Blenski, would welcome your call. (Note too, that Roman is also an Imperial alum ... marched baritone 1958-63!)

DCM
4601 W. Holt St.
Milwaukee, WI 53219
414-327-2847

e-mail: dbcpmilw@execpc.com

DCM is "up against the wall" right now and needs suppport in many ways.

I think everyone is of the same mindset in regard to the situation. What Dave said is right. Support DCM in whatever way you can.
Willingness to volunteer and/or just go to shows would be a plus and would help. But Jim is also right when he said that DCM needs people, shows and corps. It might be in the best interest of the future to float this idea of a seperate organization to the smaller corps who are struggling. Just maybe, they would be willing to take the gamble and throw their support to DCM.

Like I said in an earlier post. DCI needs the smaller units MORE than the smaller corps need DCI! They just need an alternative.

I would be willing to volunteer for anything that would help the cause. I can arrange music still and I can judge and I still have considerable instructing chops. Would be willing to sshare that if there is an effort by others to do the same.

Regards,

JD

Jerry:

I couldn't resist. I know from personal experience you are also a pretty darned good bus mechanic as I have personally witnessed in St. Louis, Springfield, Michigan, and other locales around the Midwest.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

My God, what a memory you have.

I can still remember laying down under that bus in Springfield and replacing the entire break line. People drove me all over to get the parts and then it took me like forever to install it and bleed the breaks before we could get the corps on the bus and leave for wherever else we were headed. I havve to tell you that I was one grubby and greasy dude that night. At least we won the show, so I was in a good mood. How the heck did you remember that? LOL

JD

How could I ever forget.

Springfield - I remember that for several reasons. Originally, the drumer were on the 2nd bus, and at the last minute they all got off, and got on the other bus, I remember Paul Wojtena getting mad at me because I wasn't on the same bus as all the other drummers. The bus I was on broke down, and a church youth bus gave us a lift. I'll never forget their faces when we all started changing on the bus into our uniforms getting ready. I remember you under the bus working on it all night by flashlight. I think I offered to help, although I'm certainly not a mechanic.

St. Louis - Can't forget that one either. Memorial Lancers hosted the show, and we were jeered at and threatened by the crowd because we beat them at their own show. And of course our bus was broke down so we couldn't go anywhere.

Michigan - I think it was Paw Paw. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with the bus, but we all had to get out and push it up inclines such as hills and overpasses to get it going. The Mikolay brothers(phonetic spelling) missed their Northwestern University Auditions.

Jim,

You indeed have a great memory. Mine has become somewhat faulty at times. So many years of competition with both Drum & Bugle Corps and competitive bands will somehow all melt together and mesh into mush. LOL

When thinking about the repairing and such, I have to think of Mr. Ruchalski. He kept that thing together, along with the busses, through sheer will and mechanical ability. John is also a fantastic human being. He taught me so much about fixing things and about life through his infectious smiles, patience and wisdom. I am glad to hear that he is still with us, as I was given some bad information that he was no longer with us. I am so glad to hear that he is still attending Imperial functions like the presentation of the corps history to Norwood.

Mr. Ruchalski led by example and never wanted anything in return. He even helped me repair my car on more than one occasion. When I think of the 'White Whale', I think of him and how welcome his family made me feel in their home. During his time with the corps, he was a great role model for all. Mr. Ruchalski is a man that all of us looked up to and cherished his friendship.

As for the rest of the repairing of busses and trucks, I really think it was just part of belonging to an organization. When something happens, like a truck or bus breaking down, we all just pitched in and helped where we could. Imperials were like a very large extended family. All of the management staff and instructors did so much more than just teach and manage. I remember, managing the corps, writing the music, teaching the music, helping with drill when they were short handed, fixing horns, fixing buses and trucks, driving buses and trucks, etc., etc., etc.
That was normal for many people who belonged and worked with corps back in those days. Seems like alot in today's terms, but we all considered it normal fare. Mr. & Mrs. Ruchalski both wore many hats for the Imperials and should be thanked for their efforts and kindness to everyone who worked with the corps.

Hopefully this, in some way, brings into light WHY it was possible to field so many corps in the 60's. 70's & 80's. I am not sure you would find as many people who would give so much of themselves today. The managers, instructors and support staff in many DCI corps command salaries that equal, in many cases, a full time job's pay. That forces up the cost and dues for the kids who now participate in the activity. Many of the kids that we worked with would never be able to afford the type of dues structure and committment that is demanded today. With that said, there would have been many corps that would have not survived as long as they did without the volunteer efforts of so many people who did it for the right reasons.

Sorry, I know this is long winded, but leads toward the point in WHY local drum and bugle corps dissappeared. It can be simply traced to the pre-baby boomer generation. They went through so much that they wanted their kids to have activities that represented and reinforced their beliefs and principles. They were very patriotic because of their experiences with world war, thus they wanted an activity that promoted and fostered that patriotism. Thus, the reasoning behind the Color Prentations in the shows. I highly doubt that they EVER thought that a full show concept was more important than exhibiting some creativity in showing some reverence and pride in our country. They also were not too busy to roll up their sleves and pitch in to help. To them, it was more important than sitting on a couch and becoming a couch potatoe. It added meaning to their lives and the lives of the people that they worked for.

Regards,
Jerry

Here's an Idea:

What about getting back with VFW and American Legions, Moose Ldges, etc? Since there is a post in every single town in the entire country.

This could be a win win. They could use Drum Corps brass for funeral services as WWII vets are dying at over 1,000 a day. They have been resrting to digital and taped trumpets.

In exchange, they could help sponsor and get drum corps at the local level off the ground by providing places to practice, etc.

I know there is a prgram already in place for taps for veterans. This idea takes it to the next step.

I'm saying is if we don't have to start from scratch allthe better. If there are resources we can tap into then we are that much farther along.

Hmmmmmm .. sounds like Jerry Davidson doesn't care for DCI and it's approach to "helping" local corps!

I'd guess that 99% of our alums agree with that!

The corps kids are great and they work really hard at what they do ...
but the overall drum corps activity is dying .. and morphing into something like "super bands".

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63, asst. instructor 1964-71; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? member 1958- 1963

Hi everyone,
Been reading everyone's comments about DCM.I'm
not really famalier with this part,but it does
sound like many good things could come out of this.
Now is DCM a part of DCI?Do they control what happens
as far as contests?The number of members each corp is
allowed to have?What these smaller corps can and cannot do?The reason I ask is that I don't really know much about the inner workings of DCI,which I'm
totally against.It has become a corporation,and I'm
sure everyone is aware of what can happen with large
corporations as far as money,support,fairness,and
the control that they always seem to need.Another
question I have is DCI stands for DRUM CORPS INTERNATIONAL right?DO any drum corps from Europe
ever compete here?Just wondering,and also all these
different levels of drum corps they have at the contests,what is this about?Can someone just give me a brief explanation of what this is?I know its a lot of questions,but I would like to be up to date on some of these things.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957-1963