Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I read this on Drum Corps Planet

I thought you might all enjoy it!

The Good in America - DCI, Drum Corps kids doing good things!

Lots of bad things are happening in our world, but something that seems obvious to me, is the summer of drum corps seems to come off without any bad happening. In our media very rarely do we see stories about young people doing well. What we do hear is when a sports star uses drugs or someone is doing something illegal to get an unfair advantage. Regardless of our bickering over amplifiers or baton twirlers drum corps is good clean-cut fun. In my 26 years in the military I have never seen groups get along with each like drum corps do. Sure we have diverse members in corps. For new members it’s the first time they’ve been exposed to some of this, but you don’t see the BlueDevils and the Blue Coats in the parking lot after a show beating each other up. You see UNITY, young people meeting each other laughing about the day’s events and getting ready for the next days adventure. Why can’t the PRESS in America focus on a group of young men and women getting along and having fun doing it?

I guarantee if something bad happened in drum corps the media would be all over it. We live in a society of negativity sells, if it’s bad it’s good, and “if it bleeds it leads.”

It is my hope that one day our American media will see the good in people and begin to portray the positive that Drum Corps brings to the youth of America. In Jeff Fiedler’s radio interview (located at a different thread on here) he talks about this very subject.

Come on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, and MTV there is a lot of good our youth of America are doing out here. Drum Corps is an activity that has been around over 70 years, it is youth based with over 10,000 members supporting it each summer with countless number of parents, volunteers, and fans.

DCI should smile knowing that they have the greatest young people in their activity, second to none.

--------------------

Wayne Barron
Colorado Springs, CO

What did you do in the Corps? french horn

What years were you a Corps member? \\\'72 - \\\'73

Re: I read this on Drum Corps Planet

AMEN! Styles change, times change, instruments change, but drum corps IS still drum corps in the ways that matter most. And I bet someone wrote this same letter 10, 20, and 30 years ago.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79