Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another funeral

I received the following message from Kirkland Burke on Thursday, 12/30:

It is with deep regret that I have the task of informing you that Richard Armstrong made his transition this morning.

Richard was the music instructor, writer and arranger for the Lt. Giles "Yellow Jackets" Drum & Bugle Corps of Chicago, IL. in the 1950's and 1960's. In the early through mid 1970's he was the assistant music instructor and music instructor of the Norwoord Park Imperials Drum & Bugle Corps. I think he was also involved with several Senior Corps but I don't have that information at this time.

I would appreciate it if someone could pass this information along to Brian Pennington if you are in contact with him.

Wake and funeral information is as follows:

Monday, January 3rd, 2005

St. Matthew Church
1000 N. Orleans (Oak & Orleans)
Chicago, Illinois

Wake - 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
FUNERAL - 7:00 pm

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Re: Another funeral

Rich marched with us in the Chicago Vanguard in the late 80s/early 90s. I believe he played mellophone. I remember him as a extremely nice and friendly man.

I also remember Rich as a horn instructor, and as a very nice guy. Terri would have known him better, since I was in the drum line. Very sad. He couldn't have been that old. Anyone know what happened?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Rich Armstrong was a good guy and a friend. Not close, but a friend. He will be missed.

Reminds me that fFunerals are not fun!

We see the passing of a valued friend or relative. And it hurts us all.

But, we also have to remember that this is what happens. None of us will live forever. Our friends and family will die.

So ..... here are some thoughts!

. give them love and appreciation while
they are here!
. help them when they are ill and might
be "leaving". Especially help them with
their spiritual needs.
. be a friend to their families
. thank God for the friendship that you
had with them!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer, instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63