Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clarifications of 6/26

To My Fellow NPI Alumni:

Thanks to Dave Borck and Larry Kalck for getting this message out so quickly.

This is not a Royal Air event, it just so happens that it is being held in conjunction with their show. I asked permission to do a reunion for our corps - Norwood Park Imperials, the Royal Airs agreed. More about this later, but rest assured, this began as strictly a Norwood event.

This event stemmed from a conversation that I have had with many of you individually and in small groups. "why don't we get together". Over the last few years I have met Russ Norris after a show in a bar, spoke with Denny Shannon in Scranton, talked with Bill Schlenker and Warren Dulski at a show in Racine, met Jeannette and Brenda Hoeffert at a Cavie show, conversations with Mike Maggio, Vickey Boey Pennington, Steve and Yvonne Boey Pawela, Bob Minor, Keith Normandin, Rose Knott, Paul and John Tomaszek ... the list goes on and on. Each time I would reflect how grateful I am that we shared our youth together, yet how can we plan to see each other on a more regular basis.

So many mentioned that we should get together, yet there seemed to be insurmountable logistic and time problems, not to mention agreeing on a date and finding volunteers to help organize. I know of certain groups that have gotten together on a frequent basis. But we have not had a group function except for the fine work done for the Norwood Park Historical Society presentation.

As many of you know, I am in the Royal Airs. To some of us, that is a "who cares". When the choice was made to host a DCI show at Maine West - I thought "well we have a date and a venue" now how can we take care of the logistical and volunteer concerns. As an "insider", I took advantage of the positions that the Norwood/Royal Air alum have in the Royal Corps, to start planning this.

We know that the Vanguard had a great reunion last year. A lot of time and money, plus many volunteers were needed to put together that 3 day event. Nisei also had a great reunion at the Cavie show last year. After measuring the two reunions, it appeared that the drum corps show was an easier proposition and accomplished the intent well. I discussed this idea with some friends, both in Norwood and from other corps. We thought it would be cool to include all the major Chicago area corps so that we could not only rekindle NPI friendships, but also those with other corps.

Then other corps asked if they could be included. We thought "why not" provided that NPI could have its own area.

Now on to discuss more clarifications.

Timing
The Royal Airs confirmed their show in December. They did not secure the venue until early this month. The idea was then presented in detail to the Royal Air Board and Staff, and they gave us their complete support. This past Wednesday we met with Maine West and they gave us permission as well as allocated space for us to party. That is why notice of this event is going out at this time, less than 90 days to the event.

Authority
The Chicago Royal Airs have contracted the facility, and granted us permission for a multi-corps alumni reunion function to take place. Ray Holtz and myself have taken complete responsibility for this concern. That responsibility will be eventually shared by one representative of each participating corps. We have autonomy on what we want to do, within certain boundaries such as no smoking or alcoholic beverages on the schools grounds.

Days Events and Timelines
This area was put together as a foundation and starting point. We thought it would be appropriate and fun to have a secluded area to party while surrounded by drum corps activities. Alumni can choose to be a spectator or not, but the ticket to the show is part of the cost of the package. The alumni tents will be set up around and next to the visitor's stands. The Royal Airs will practice on the stadium field, starting on the finish line, so that they play to the alumni, who can watch either from the visitor stands or the shelter of the tents. The RA instructors - NPI alum - Paul Zimny (m & m), and former NPI instructor - John Zimny (show director) , will conduct practice for 60-90 minutes with some interplay between fans in the stands and the corps on the field.

Then a custom prepared, all you can eat meal will be served. Bottled water and soft drinks will be available during the party. Then, after dinner, we will move over to the concert side stands for the show. After the show, those that are up to it, can join us at a local restaurant/bar to party - cash bar.

There will be hotel information sent with favored rates.

DCI Show?
For those of you that are not DCI fans, consider this important point. The RA has spoken with the Skyliners, Hawthorne, Mighty St. Joes, Blessed Sac and others on the east coast, and to some extent, some of the Midwest senior corps like the Kilties, Chops, Minnesota Brass, and NPI Alum Jim Snyder's Governaires, to have a Midwest tour next year and an east coast tour. This is still in the discussion stages, but there is intent. As a matter of fact, Ray Holtz's Navy buddy is now the director of the Skyliners, and he said that he would have had his corps here this year, but the RA could not complete the arrangements.

This is all speculation, and nothing official, but there is talk of having at least four of the top alumni corps (those that do drill and music 1950 - early 1970 style next year, with maybe four top DCI corps in the RA show next year, if not all senior alumni corps.

I sat next to Mickey Graeber in Scranton last year, after the RA performed, and watched Hawthorne come off the line with Espani Cani, and then do their old style drill. Then came the Skyliners with 17 snare drums, playing like drums used to. It was awesome. We talked about how we wished more of our marching mates from the NP days could see/hear this again.

A night at Maine West, with these old style corps, is something to work towards. But do not take this section out of context and think it is a promise. If we work together, with alum from other corps, our efforts will increase the probability of this happening. It is important not to lose sight of the primary purpose of this day - do reasemble greet old friends, and sing Hail to Maroon.

Volunteers
Not much is needed. It is realized that this would be a stumbling block. So the following has been done already:

Completed
A venue arranged, a site selected
A date selected
Parking arranged
Discounted hotel accommodations are being arranged
Party site afterwards is being investigated
Food and beverages arranged (menus can be finalized by the committee)
Tents, tables, chairs, port-potties arranged

Needs from NPI Volunteers
Participation at the planning meetings with other corps alumni
Insight
Communication with our alumni - our great website and mailing thread is a great start
Ticket money collection
Manning the registration table
Decorating the tent in maroon and gold
Table reservations
Maybe you can house an out of town marching buddy for the weekend?

Timing
This is a critical element. Maine West has allowed us to place two tents on the north side of the visitor's bleachers, and two tents on the south side. The food serving area will be on the south side. Beverages and porta potties will be on both sides of the visitor's bleachers. The prime tents will be on the south side near the food, I think, because then you do not have to walk so far with your food. The tents will be sold on a first paid basis. Each tent holds 80. Therefore, if we want to be the best - and not fourth place, then lets get our own tent pronto. (it helps that Ray and I are chairing this group, but we need fast turnaround on tickets) I have a feeling that the Vanguard, and perhaps Nisei will have their own tents. They just had great reunions.

If a corps only has 20 people respond, then they will have a registration table, and be mixed in a tent with other corps.

There is a distinct possibility, depending on DCI protocol, that there will be some time between corps appearances to have alumni groups honored. This will be limited to a select few because of time allotments. There is also a potential for the RA instructors to arrange a musical tribute to a few corps - the prime idea was the four major Chicago corps - Vanguard, RA, Cavies and Norwood, but now we are thinking it will be the top four corps in ticket sales.

Involvement to Date
Jay McGuffin, the Vanguard webmaster and one of the organizers of the Vanguard reunion, Terry Nakagawa of the Nisei Ambassadors, Joe Boyle of the St. Michael Chi-Angels, Adrianne Kaplan of the Morton Grove Cougars, Rich Glaeser of the Royal Airs, Ken Fligelman of NPI have all responded within the first 12 hours to be in attendance at the meeting on Weds 4/6.

We would like to have more members, of the different NPI groups/eras at the meeting.

Problems
There will be many. But adaptations and corrections will be made as well as possible. I suggest that the naysayers become involved to help shape this into something that is more universally accepted. This one event will not satisfy everyone's needs and wants, but it is at least a starting point.

Please don't hesitate to contact me, via email, if you have questions or concerns.

t

Tom Walter
Tasty Catering
1495 Tonne Road
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
T 847.593.2000
F 847.593.2114
tom@tastycatering.com
www.tastycatering.com

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1968