Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IS DRUM CORPS "BETTER" OR JUST DIFFERENT NOW?

There are been some interesting posts on the "DCI on the Theatre" thread which deal with the above subject.

Some people have stated that drum corps is better now .. especially in the physical aspects of travel, food and instruction. (That makes sense for corps which tour a lot... we never did that when I was in the corps.)

But others have lamented the loss of local community based corps which were really "youth group activities" more than high level musical groups, although some of them really achieved a lot.

These corps helped local youth to learn, to see the country, to meet other kids, to stay out of trouble, etc. It was possible to do other things too ... such as have a job, go to summer school, see your family.

What are YOUR thoughts?

What did you do in the Corps? Percussion 1958-63; instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: IS DRUM CORPS "BETTER" OR JUST DIFFERENT NOW?

After reading all the comments on whether it is better or different, I think it depends on when you marched and what you got out of it. For me, I wouldn't trade those years for anything. We might not of had the best transportation, or had the best sleeping accommodations or even the best instructors. But we had fun, friends and adventures.

As much as we would have liked to win every contest, I think the fun of traveling with friends to places we wouldn't have had the opportunity to see, the chance to meet people from different corps and different cities and even learn some things about life, was just as good.

It's obvious by the amount of people marching in the Royal Aires, that what we did back then effected us and not in a bad way. We weren't "music majors" and "dance majors" auditioning to "perform" all summer long. We were kids that wanted to do something fun, travel and maybe learn a little music. We had something special that was needed before the mid 70's.

It's not a matter of better or different. It's the fact that the "reason" for drum corp has changed. You don't have to like it, but it's true. And everyone has their idea of what drum corp has become, but the truth is, it doesn't matter. As long as we have our memories of what we enjoyed while we marched, no one can change those.

Having marched in both eras (1970-80), I can tell you that touring is a blast! But, you can't do it if you have to work in the summer, which is why you have very few kids in corps today who march for 7, 8, 9 years like was often the case in the "old days." But I can also say that kids in corps today are just as close friends as we were - they just have to do it over the summer, because the rest of the year they're often spread all over the country or the globe. Yes, the local aspect of drum corps is pretty much gone - no more limos from the Welco gas station, right Terri?

But it's their show now, so they're doing it their way. We can all say we prefer our days - and many people from the 50's probably didn't like corps in the 70's, with our mallets and timpanis, guard uniforms that didn't match the corps, lower stick heights (actually, I didn't care for those either), and more than a valve and rotary on the bugles.

To be honest, sometimes I'm amazed that drum corps has survived at all in this age of instant gratification. Most kids who grow up on video games and TV wouldn't even consider doing the same show for 3 months, let alone rehearsing it for the entire winter. That's a large reason why there are fewer corps - fewer interested kids. While I have never agreed with everything DCI does, they have at least kept our activity going. And, as I stated earlier, the past couple of years the corps seem to be listening to the complaints of the audience regarding musical selections.

So do the members get the same things out of drum corps now as when we all marched? Probably not the SAME things, but just as valuable an experience. My biggest concerns have always been the reduced number of corps and the kids who just aren't talented enough to make the big corps and not financially set enough to travel even with one of the smaller corps. But there were ALWAYS kids who wanted to participate and couldn't for various reasons - that's just the nature of the beast. How many of you remember almost talking someone into joining with you until they asked how much we got paid?

I just hope that the corps continue to try to be more entertaining, because at this age, that's what it's about for me. I usually leave before the scores anyway.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

The level of entertainment is objective according to the viewer as is the case of all media of the arts. You can't say that drum corps are less or more entertaining today without causing an argument. Drum corps is definately different, but less entertaining, it's strictly one's opinion.

The fact that drum corps is not available to as many kids is probably the most disturbing trend. The big budget corps are thriving while the smaller, more accessible corps are all disappearing (the Bandettes and Americanos are neither coming out this year). Sure the big corps are impressive and attract members from across the country, but the less talented and lower income kids can't participate anymore.

Many people blame DCI for this trend, but DCI is only concerned with making money, as all good businesses are. The main reason for this is the fact that drum corps fans do not support the smaller corps anymore. When I was marching in the Imperial Cadets, we had a circuit of cadet corps (Cavie Cadets, Phantom Cadets, New Dawn, Kiltie Kadets, Madison Jr. Scouts, etc.) and we still would draw a large enough crowd to sustain a circuit. Now, the fans have become stuck up, thinking that if you don't have the numbers, you're not worth seeing. It has destroyed many small corps and is the dismal plight of the DCM circuit.

I really think that this is the main difference between drum corps today and in the past. It's not for the kid that's looking for something, anything, to do anymore. It's for the kid that has a goal of marching in drum corps specifically. It has changed the entire structure of the activity.

Right on, Bob!

I know kids can't afford to march a long time like we did but sometimes they are lucky enough, thanks to corps like Capital Sound to get that opportunity. I think the reason Andy is NOT burned out by now is because of his five years in Div.2. Now he's in his second year of Div. 1. Let's see if he marches his last two years. That would be nine seasons just like his Dad did back in the '70's.

About the Royal-Airs. It was fun but my knees can't take it anymore. I give those people a lot of credit for continuing to do it for the fourth year now and God only knows how long some of those folks have marched in Kilties senior. I was definitely done in 2002 and I only marched in 2003 for Jim.

Now I am definitely retired.

What did you do in the Corps? french horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1972 - 1973

Some people have asked "where are the corps for local, off-the-street, kids?

Well, for the most part these are NOT the DCI touring corps. Usually, the "average kid off the street" (as we were) has NO chance to participate in a major touring DCI corps. (Tryouts and skill requirements, finances and time commitments are the chief reasons for this.)The Division I and II corps are more like the local community corps we knew .. not much touring, lower costs, allow "normal kids", are much smaller units and are much lower cost. There aren't a lot of these left either. Chicago area has NONE of them, as far as I know.

This is a post from Mary Snyder .. originally posted on the "DCI at the Theatre" thread .... good points!
------------------------------------------------

Hello all, I usually don't post here, probably because some topics do not pertain to me, or for example I was busy teaching indoor guard instead of going to see this DCI broadcast, or generally I am busy doing 500 things that I don't have time to post. Anyway, I just wanted to share my two cents about some comments made.

While I think many of you are accurate about getting into a Division 1 corps, i.e. expensive, hard to get into without training, there are still other options. The Div 2 and 3 corps, and all ages corps. while these corps are not as large as the top div 1 corps, many kids still join these corps to gain experience, discipline, sense of a community, pride and to keep them off the streets with a great activity.

These corps have cheaper dues, they still get to travel around the area for shows, they learn about the spirit of competition, meet future spouses, they learn about drum corps, and some times if they save a lot of money, fundraise a lot and/or get sponsorships, these kids are able to march in a Division 1 corps too.

While I agree that it's not like it once was, there's still the neighborhood corps around.

Is Drum Corps better or just different

In my opinion "IT'S JUST DIFFERENT",and really when I look at it from all sides,it's getting too
different.
When I was in it,that was a different time period,
so is it now.
Some may feel that the kid's have it better as far as travel,food,sleeping,practicing,modes of transportation,well I'm sure this has changed at least I hope it has.Like it was said it depends on when you were in it.
Travelling on long trips,gruelling practices during
the winter months,in the summer heat all day long,trying to learn the drill,practicing music until
your lip's fell off.
I wouldn't want to trade it for anything.The one thing that was discouraging was not "WINNING"like some
Drum Corps did of course I won't mention names.
It was good for us during that period in time and
that's the way it was.We complained at times for one reason or another,and I'm sure they do it now.
The one thing that will always stay with you is the people you met,the cities you traveled to and the
friend's you gain.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

"The one thing that will always stay with you is the people you met,the cities you traveled to and the
friend's you gain."

Rich, I think you hit the nail on the head with this sentiment, and it still rings true today. No matter what division corps the friendships and memories will stay with you a life time.

"I agree with Mary but I guess the neighborhood Div.2 corps (or maybe it's 3 now) is/was probably about 150 miles away from my neighborhood."

Unfortunately in the midwest this rings true, there are fewer and fewer Div 2 & 3 corps each year. I'm happy to see in the east that there are still many small corps in the NJ/NY area. Especially in the city where kids need to get off the streets and get into something positive and life changing. I think this is why we all need to support the smaller corps of today, even if you don't know anyone involved in them. More are going under due to financial problems, look into even donating time, food, money to keep these kids in the activity. I'll get off my soap box now, but it saddens me to think that kids ten years from now might not be able to experience what we once did.

What years were you a Corps member? cadets 76-78, Imperials 79-83

This is worth revisiting.... as we see the drum corps activity changing each year ... do we (as alums) think it is BETTER or just DIFFERENT?

Think about all that you have read, seen and heard.

IMHO ...

1. it is NOT better, but it IS different.
2. Life goes on and the world is different, but communities STILL need local sites for kids to be involved positively
----------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

Is Drum Corps better? HELL NO lets just call it a prelude to band and stop calling electronic orchestra pits with some kind of band horns Drum Corps. talent was home grown not brought in from all over the country. I'm currently down loading my old Drum Corps LP's. The 60's and 70's Corps had just as much talent and they did it with a lot less valves, and no elect b.s. I don't mind progress DCI should be no farther out than DCA is. I wonder if VFW and American Legion would be interested in returning Drum Corps to what it should be?

Greg, I have to agree! This is getting really stupid. DCI corps are just bands now. Yes, DCA is the closest to "real" drum corps that exists .. although some alumni corps do it well.

As for AL and VFW, I am afraid those days are gone forever.

The only thing I would disagree with is that yesterday's corps had as much talent as todays - absolutely NOT true. But that's part of what made drum corps special - they weren't trained musicians. They were kids who worked hard to reach a goal, and many times became much better than they had any right to expect!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Interesting comment, Bob! And that is one of my primary problems with the "new" drum corps approach.

In the past, community based corps would actually accept kids with NO musical training and teach them!

Now, that is laughed at!
----------------------------------------------------------

Most kids would not be interested in drum corps today unless they are interested in music performance or education. Times are a lot different than the Norwood days......kids have a lot of other things to do today and many other options.....you probably can't get them to play in a pickup baseball game anymore.....so they don't want to make the committment we had to the corps. The days of "if you can walk you make the corps" are over for the most part. DCI has a lot of issues but it may be one of the only ways to keep the activity alive at all. We just have to face the fact that there are going to be fewer corps....and hope those remaining can stay in business......and it is a business.

What did you do in the Corps? baritone

Bob, maybe the Corps as a whole didn't have as much talent but I'd put up any of the top Corps of yesterday's soloist against the newbies , of course we will have to remove some of the newbies valves to make it even. Tom also makes a point with all the electronic gizmos of today you can't get a kid off the couch to even exercise. Maybe we just let drum Corps be buried, and reclassify DCI as (pick one) Drum 1. Cannibalized, 2.Colonized, 3.Contemporary International. Contemporary would probably be the kindest.

Tom Grana said it well:

"Times are a lot different than the Norwood days......kids have a lot of other things to do today and many other options.....you probably can't get them to play in a pickup baseball game anymore.....so they don't want to make the committment we had to the corps. The days of "if you can walk you make the corps" are over for the most part. "
-----------------------------

Yes, the days of "community based" drum corps are LONG gone for the most part. (DCI Division II and III may have some of the community elements we like). So, drum corps is certainly different from that point of view.

Certainly, the programs are WAY different! Many varied opinions about that too!

MY opinion: I can easily avoid all this!
------------------------------------------------------------------------