Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best rudimental style drum lines? What is YOUR opinion?

Bob Shreffler's recent posting about corps shows included a statement about drum lines.... made me think. What would you say are the best rudimental style corps drum lines in your memory?

I have a few to mention:

1. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights (NJ) ...
probably the best, taught by Bobby Thompson, a
real master.
2. Boston Crusaders, especially 1965-67, taught by
Jerry Shelmer.
3. Chicago Cavaliers ...yes, in all fairness, they
had some really great drum lines from 1957- 63;
then again in the mid 1970's. Best when taught by
Frank Arsenault, Larry McCormick and Dan Spalding.
IMHO.
4. Norwood Park Imperials... taught by Frank
Arsenault, Dick Brown and (later) Bill Strauts.
5. Belleville Black Knights (mid 60's)... taught by
Forest Creson and (later) Jim Middleton.
6. Anaheim Kingsmen, especially 1971-73. A fantastic
drum line.
7. Some additional fine drum lines:
. Kilties 1964-68
. DEs Plaines Vanguard, early 1970's
. Madison Scouts, 1971- 76
. LaCrosse Blue Stars, 1972-76
. Santa Clara Vanguard, best in mid 70's
. Concord Blue Devils ... great almost every year!
. Spirit of Atlanta .. late 70's to mid 80's
. Bayonne Bridgemen .. mid 70's
. 27th Lancers ... mid 70's

I saw many of these lines in competition, judged most of them too. They all performed with great rudimental precison and technical difficulty, yet their drum charts were musical and supportive of the brass charts.

There were, unfortunately, drum lines which did not
perform to these standards!

And, most (not all) of todays drum lines "march to a different drummer", with a focus on "big sound", visual impact and pit percussion.

What did you do in the Corps? Percussion 1958-63; instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: Best rudimental style drum lines? What is YOUR opinion?

Dave,

I agree with most of your picks, and I'm glad to have been a part of a few of them (mid-70's Cavaliers and 1980 Spirit of Atlanta)! A couple of surprises, though, including you NOT listing the Royal Airs - I never saw them, but I thought I remembered them being pretty strong (at least Adam always talked like they were). I was also glad to see you include the Blue Stars. As a judge, you got more chances to notice how good they were in the 70's, though nobody ever really talked about them that way. Unfortunately, like the Cavaliers at the time, the overall corps wasn't very good. I think the only one in your lists that I question is 27th - I always remember their line as being the reason the corps didn't do better, since they could certainly march well and the horn line was usually strong.

And I was VERY glad to see you include Bill Strauts in the list. Bill was terrific - one of my favorite instructors, along with Dan Spalding and Tom Float. I was lucky enough to return to the corps in 1978 and have the honor of teaching with him that year.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

You guys sound like old men reminiscing about life thirty years ago. "I remember when drum lines were drum lines." Thanks for making me grin. I needed it.

See you all in DeKalb!

To Jim Snyder ....

a typical response from a person who probably doesn't understand rudimental drumming and why it is important.

It isn't so much that it was "better in the old days" .... it is just that the rudimential style of drumming is better for teaching, precision and developing stamina.

It was also a great thrill to see a good rudimental drum line demonstrate a really difficult solo
(with "chops" as they would say)!

Yes, drum lines today do present some great performances and they do a fine job of musical enhancement .. but they tend to depend only on size, volume and visual appeal for their impact. Good but different!

What did you do in the Corps? Percussion 1958-63; instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Jim,

Quit picking on your elders, or I'll tell your Dad on you!

As I've said before, there's NO WAY today's lines could play what we did, because we were mostly standing still - at most, moving up and down the 50-yard line. Something had to be sacrificed for the movement.

I just think it's more fun INDIVIDUALLY to play the things we did in our day.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I'm not sure how many of you on the site have had the
opportunity to listen to some of the older recordings
but maybe it would be a good idea for everyone to do this if the chance ever comes up.I'm not talking about
recordings from the real early years but the late 50's
through most of the 60's,you would probably be surprised.
Even though I played French Horn,I always had a ear
for drum lines as well.
I can't say much about drum lines today,because I've
only been to one contest,and that was at the Royal Aires show,and what I've seen there I really can't
make any jugdements.
I do plan on attending more of the contests so I can
get a better feel for it.
Dave your list has some greats in it.I have to agree
whole heartedly with your first couple of drum lines
Blessed Sac,Cavaliers,they were the best of the best.
If any one has the CD,Bugles UP,or if you can get a copy of it you have to listen to it,espescially the
Cavaliers and Blessed Sac,great drum lines,this is from 59.
And you have to include the Royal Aires in this as well,especially from 65,if you listen enough times
you can see why they should be on the list too.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I don't know the first thing about drum lines, etc., but I will say these four things: 1) I always thrilled to watch and listen to the drum lines, and I (just a fan) could tell the great (Cavaliers, for example) from the pretty good. 2) I really enjoy listening to you ole pros go at it on this site. Keep it up! It's great reading. 3) Your discussions may influence the evolution of drum play in the future, as they are read by other knowledgeable folks and further discussed. This makes for improvement. 4) I greatly look forward to attending the drum corps competition at North Central College on July 31, and seeing the drum lines and thrilling to their sounds and precision. p.s. I always loved watching the Kilties drum line. I don't know how good they were, technically, but they were a treat for the eye, in motion. Thanks, guys.

What did you do in the Corps? I was a fan; that's all.

What years were you a Corps member? mid to later 1950's

Although I'm not a drummer, it seems to me that in addition to the precision associated with rudimental style perhaps a more important element is the "sound." Rudimental drumming and the G bugles are what most of us associate with the "sound" of drum corps.

To me, this is the major difference we all are really talking about when we talk about today's DCI corps programs to those of the past. By the past, I don't just mean the corps from my era (1960s). The DCI corps of the 70s and 80s still had this sound (at least with regard to brass.)