Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHITEWATER , WISC. ... memories

I just visited the town again over the Independence Day weekend, saw a parade and enjoyed the area.

Reminded me that some of the BEST drum corps shows that I have ever seen were held in the GREAT stadium at the UW-Whitewater.

Warhawk Stadium, being built into a valley, has sound transfer characteristics equal to the best stadiums in the country. Truly a great place to hear a drum corp perform. The sound literally "rolled" up to you ... and it was a great place for a judge, even on the field!!

Several DCI Nationals have been held there .. as well as a few Regional DCI shows. Hope to see a few again!

I'll bet that some have you also have great WHITEWATER memories!

What did you do in the Corps? Percussion 1958-63; instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: WHITEWATER , WISC. ... memories

I never participated in a show at Whitewater, but did attend a small (6 corps) contest in August 1979--Blue Devils, Madison, Atlanta, Phantom Regiment and Santa Clara were five of the corps. It was a nice facility for a contest.

Whitewater was absolutely my FAVORITE place to march! Especially in the earlier days of DCI, when we entered from behind the stands, going down the hill to get to the starting line (in later years we entered from the back).

I marched there almost every year of my career, including the very first DCI prelims (Norwood placed 29th - somehow I ended up with the score sheets!). I've told my family that when I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread along the 50-yard line there!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Jim,

On the string regarding DCM you mentioned NIU. During my time in Norwood we never did march there. Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City was the largest facility I recollect we marched in from 1962 to 1966. But I do have a Minnesota question for you.

In 1962 VFW Nationals was held at Parade Stadium in Minneapolis (West of downtown). When I lived in Minneapolis (1981) I attended a DCI contest at Parade Stadium. That was a good venue for a contest as well. Do they still use that facility for Minnesota contests?

Unfortunately Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City was torn down in the mid 80s. I've heard many great stories about drum corps in that stadium though, I wish I had a chance to experience it.

Unfortunately I never had the chance to march in Whitewater, but I did see many a show there and loved them all, it was a great venue to watch.

NIU I did perform at many years, and I will always think of it as my home field. A couple years ago I was in town for DCM and just standing outside the stadium, a flood of awesome memories flooded my mind.

Mary Snyder spoke about Roosevelt Stadium in New Jersey ... actually in Bayonne. This was a primarily a BASEBALL stadium, used by a minor league team. But it was also used for local events, football games and DRUM CORPS.

It was a great stadium for corps .. in spite of the baseball layout. Great dynamics, good stadium seats with a great view.

Of course, it is the CORPS in these shows at Roosevelt Stadium which bring back the great memories!

Speaking about Whitewater .. one of the BEST things about Whitewater as a corps show site (whether Nationals or a Regional show) is that most of the corps stayed at the University! You could see them practicing everywhere! Just like a FREE corps show .. even better, because you could talk to them.