Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CHICAGO BEARS DRUM CORPS!!!

Saw the following announcement ... might be interesting!

Chicago Bears and The Cavaliers Join Forces

Wednesday, August 24th, 2005 - 8:34 AM

Bears Drum Corps presented by The Cavaliers

Two well-known, Chicagoland dynasties have joined forces to bring Chicago football fans a new facet to the NFL game day experience. The Chicago Bears and The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps of Rosemont, Ill. have joined forces to create The Bears Drum Corps this fall at all Chicago Bears home games.
"We're excited to bring this new venture forward for Chicago Bears football fans," said Cavaliers director Jeff Fiedler, "We've been working on this for months and are ready to debut The Bears Drum Corps to add to the fan experience, bringing more thunder and excitement to each Bears home football game!"

The Cavaliers will present the drum line which will be staffed by a roster of Cavalier percussion alumni who live in the Chicago area. Dave Schmuck, former Cavalier tenor drummer, has been appointed as the caption-head and will work closely with the Bears' marketing team to bring the winning beats to the fans throughout each home game.

"We are thrilled to introduce the Bears Drum Corps to our fans. We believe the Drum Corps will add excitement and energy to the game day experience and really represents what Chicago Bears football is all about," said Julie Taft, director of advertising and events for the Bears.

The Bears Drum Corps will play on a set of Yamaha snares, tenors and bass drums. There will be tweleve percussionists performing at each home game.

"Drum Corps International has enjoyed a positive relationship with various NFL teams through the staging of events. Now Bears fans will see the coming together of two great champions. The Bears decision to include the Rosemont Cavaliers in the overall game day experience further highlights their commitment to bring their fans the very best," said Dan Acheson, executive director of Drum Corps International.

The Bears Drum Corps will be making their first game appearance next week at the Bears first pre-season home game.

Find more information about the Chicago Bears on their official Web site.

What did you do in the Corps? percussion 1958-63; asst. instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: CHICAGO BEARS DRUM CORPS!!!

Sounds like a good way to get to see a Bears game without paying $50 for a nose bleed seat.

Are they going to wear bear costumes?

I hope the Bears' "success" doesn't rub off on The Cavaliers. The author refers to the Bears and Cavaliers as "dynasties"! The Cavaliers, I guess so; da Bears, no way. In any case, I'm hoping that the Cavies alum drum line introduces drum corps to new fans. I wish them well; it should be fun.

What did you do in the Corps? Imperials fan

What years were you a Corps member? mid to later 1950's

Well... what's the review? I understand that the Chicago Bears Drum Corps just made their debut at Soldier Field the other nite! Living in MI, I didn't see it on tv. Who saw it? How were they? How did it go? How were they presented on tv? Was it a success? A good idea or not?

What did you do in the Corps? Imperials fan

What years were you a Corps member? mid to later 1950's

Since the Bears won, it could be that the Cavalier's reputation has influenced the Bears. Of course pre-season doesn't mean anything (that's what the Oakland Raiders are saying).

I'm still curious as to whether they wear Bear Costumes.

I went to the game Friday night. Sat on the 50 yard line, West side, 9 rows from the top. Nose bleed but great view of the game. Cavies drum line played in the Southeast and Southwest corners during the game, South goal post at pre-game and half time. Performances were short, repetitive - probably different warm-ups. Camera work was pathetic - even on the big screen, you couldn't really see what was going on. Where they were positioned, we could not see "the real thing". Besides, being on the 50, it was too far away anyway. Since the line were close to the stands, the echo was distracting. Summary: Under the current set-up, I don't see the Cavies being back for next year. I don't think the crowd appreciated them after the second time.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor/ Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1969

John, you have identified the real problem that the Cavaliers have - for me, anyway.

You see, I didn't really appreciate them after the second time, either.

That was in 1961, and they haven't been any higher on my list since.

Seriously, your commentary is not a surprise. Drum Corps needs to know its place and perform when and where its appreciated. People go to a football game to watch football and the cheerleaders.

Put the drums on the cheerleaders and maybe they will get the attention of the crowd.

Just another DCI attempt at arrogance gone bad.

Larry

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Good comment Larry.

I never had the opportunity to attend a Bears game but have been to a number of 49ers and Raiders games.

A good number of the fans are inebriated before the game starts and could care less about anything but the game, the cheerleaders (Oakland in particular) and harassing anyone who is dumb enough to wear the opposing team's jersey, cap, etc. The later occurs more frequently when the home team is losing (which now is common in both San Francisco and Oakland). Contrary to the comnon perception, the 49er fans are worse than the Raiders fans.

I've been going to games off an on over the past 20 years and don't every remember seeing a band or corps perform at a half time. The fans are too busy standing in the beer line.

DCI has to learn not to stray away from there
boundries,and the Bear's game was a good example.
Jeff Fiedler said there were working on this for
months,and this is all thery could come up with.

What did DCI accomplish? Nothing.

The Bear's won the game because they were influenced
by the Cavaliers being there,the players probably
didn't have a clue on what was happening in the
stands.

Does DCI know about advertising?From what I've
seen lately I don't think they know how to go about
it.If they really want National Exposure and that is
one problem that Drum Corps has always had even when
I was in it,its still like that today.

If they really want to reach out,they should
seriously think about hiring an agency,and I'm
sure they could afford it.And I'm talking about
this as a whole,not one or 2 or 3 Drum Corps.

Otherwise it's not going to go any farther than it
has.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I think it was the postioning and choice of music. I saw the "Blast!" line on some AM TV show a while back and then at some basketball game between halfs. The crowd went nuts. If the Cavies are to keep doing this, they need to do some visuals and something that captures the crowd. They need to work with the camera crew to show off the line to better advantage.

The Chicago Bears have their home opener this weekend .. maybe an alum will attend and report on the appearance of the CHICAGO BEARS DRUM CORPS!

Let's see how they have progressed with this idea.

What did you do in the Corps? percussion 1958-63; asst. instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

While the Bears looked a whole lot better than last time, I can't say the same about the Cavies presentation. First solo was OK - but I know what I am looking at. Thumbs down at the rest. Camera work only slightly better. There is nothing sonic or visual to excite a crowd that does not appreciate rudimental drumming. It needs to be a "wow!" look at that presentation or a groove you just don't want to stop. Now I know to go get a hot dog when they are on!

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor/Snare

I couldn't wait till halftime. They were never announced. They stool in one corner of the field with a microphone that wasn't heard thru the stadium, only from the field. We could barely hear them. If you weren't waiting for them you would have missed them.

Donna & John:

1. what uniforms/ costumes does the "corps" wear?
2. is this just DRUMS?
3. what do they DO? Do they march and move around at
all?
4. WHAT is the reaction from the crowd?

1. They wore Bears numbered jerseys and shorts.
2. Only drums.
3. They walked to a spot in the corner of the field and played, that was it. (no marching)
4. I didn't notice any reaction. I don't think any one knew they were there. You could barely hear them.

Dave,
It is only drums - snares, quads, and bass. They wear old bear jerseys - Hampton, Butkus, etc and usually stand at the south end of the field (sometimes southeast, sometimes southwest, sometimes near the goal posts) and play a minute or so. What crowd reaction? Unless you are very close to them, who cares? - the sound stinks, the camera work is worse. I bet the people at the north end wonder what is happening. They need to do something visual with the camera in one spot long enough to have people figure out what is going on. Move them to center field, add more bodies, make more noise. It is truly hot dog time the way it stands now.

Do people even know they are not part of the Chicago Bears? Since they don't were their own uniforms, how would you even know it's the Cavi's? I'm sure there are drum corps alumni in the stands...that don't keep up with it anymore and who don't know's playing. To me, it sounds like they are there to help make a lot of noise...and there is nothing wrong with that at a football game.

When I march with the Pioneers, we used to do a preseason game for the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. It was strange playing to a very large crowd that couldn't care less. I'm sure people were listening, but you couldn't tell. Back then, the Pioneers uniforms were bright yellow and white with green trim. I remember hearing comments..."I didn't know the Packers had a band". Just being called a "band" used to start arguments.

In an older string, we talked about playing in famous stadiums. Now that I think about it, I also played at Soldier Field for VFW Nationals. I don't think I appreciated playing at Lambeau and Soldier Field when I was doing it..

What did you do in the Corps? 2nd Sop

What years were you a Corps member? 1979

I am disappointed that they didn't wear bear costumes. From the descriptions it sounds like this is the half time show. A bunch of guys standing in the end zone, pounding on drums and wearing old Bear jerseys.

I think they should hang it up.The crowd is there
to see a football game and their really not
interested in what else is going on around them.
Their to preoccupied with the game.Not a good
choice.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

http://millerlitepartydeck.com/default.asp

"click over to 'scenes from the deck' to see some pics of the Bears Drumline."

(I 'borrowed' this from the Cavies' Main Forum, on their website.)

Well the Bears beat the Vikings today but sad to say, the Chicago Bear Cavaliler drum line still does nothing for the crowd. The only thing new to report is that twice I thought I saw a GIRL on bass drum. I am too far away to be sure but the hair was blond and very long.

Final update for the season since the Bears took it on the chin yesterday. Wow! Somebody managed to get microphones for this game and they played something uninteligable over the PA. Between the echoes and the speakers of the PA it was just a mess. They stuck in the southwest corner. Bear jackets added for the cold weather. Some girl still on bass drum. Terrible camera work. I wonder if anybody cares that they are there. Truly a waste!

Update for the 2006 Bears season - the Buffalo game. This year, the line has moved to the 30 yard line and now has 3 microphones to permit play over the PA. STILL not loud enough. Also the line splits into 2 halves and gets in line with the players as the team takes the field. Finally the line moves from corner to corner during the game. they don't play all that often. An improvement over last year but I still don't think the majority of the crowd pays attention. Only those close to the action.

What did you do in the Corps? snenor drum

I go to the almost all the games and see them. They are better this year then last. You can hear them better but if you want to get the attention of crazed out (sometimes drunk) men, you need to have them in cheerleaders uniforms. (woman playing the drums and not the Cavies). This is the only way you can get their full attention.Woman and Men will watch. The woman watch to see if they are better then them and to point out wat is wrong with them and the men watch because it is part of the game. Otherwise if you played drums and/or where in a band or drum corps, you watch to see what they do and play. Otherwise, the rest of the people look at this as a time to get beer so that they don't miss the Bears kicking butt.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum line

What years were you a Corps member? 70's and 80's

RICH BIVER made a good point. The lack of marketing allows the idea of 'drum corps' to be manipulated by DCI. There were over 700 Junior Corps when DCI came to be, now there's less than a hundred.

The Cavalier half time entertainment is a shallow expression of talent, then again, they won DCI championships by marching around in a box and you had to be quiet to hear the horn line.

If you folks remember, the Guardsman did a commercial for McDonalds in the 60's and projected the best of drum corps material. Unfortunately they're gone and we must be careful dropping soap halftime at the BEARS game.

It's a sad reflection on what drum corps---->was!

What did you do in the Corps? marched

Re: Re: CHICAGO BEARS DRUM CORPS!!!

Saw a brief shot of the Chicago Bears drum line last weekend .. while catching a brief shot of the Bears losing to Detroit. The drum line didn't seem to be doing much when I saw them ...anyone else have a better view and comment?

BTW .. the theme "Go Chicago Bears" is true, they have GONE! Nothing this year!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Did this idea die off? They seemed to have marginal acceptance (and impact) there.

The '07 version is better than '06. The line makes noise as the team enters the field from the locker room. Still not loud enough - even with amplification through the PA. They need to have some rythym or lick that the crowd can identify with - every week. Some sort of signature sound.

Going to the game this week. Donna G - you still go?

What did you do in the Corps? drum

Kevlar heads and tenors tuned like bongos won't project very well at NFL games.

And speaking of bongoes - I remember finding a couple sets of red ones with harnesses at the AL post in Skokie in 1972. When did the Imperials use these? I actually played them a couple of times with the Cadets in parades when I was marching with the A corps (Dad was manager, and I had to be there anyway, so why not have some fun, right?).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, I think the bongoes were used in 1967 and 1968 .... maybe even again later.