Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PRACTICE SITES

The recent thread about favorite SHOW sites made me think about practice sites! The corps had many different practice sites over the years.

Many remember practices at the Norwood Park Fieldhouse. In fact, it has not changed much over all the years. Usually, bugles rehearsed in the main hall and drummers were upstairs. We also did drill practice on the field outside .. later at the Taft HS field. All of this was done within 1 block from Willie Widmayers house!

Later, we moved to the Billy Caldwell AL Post home on Cicero Avenue. This was great because we had a lot of room and could store equipment there.

But this also changed and the Corps obtained sponsorship from the Skokie AL Post .. and could again have a site for practice and equipment storage.

We had a lot of sites for drill practice .... often Sargeant Welch parking lot in Skokie, or AB Dick also in Skokie. I remember Sunday afternoon practices (LONG) at Bell & Howell site in Lincolnwood. HOT! Often at the parking lot for Jewel at Milwaukee and Devon. (Some neighbors did not like that! )

What sites do YOU remember???

What did you do in the Corps? percussion 1958-63; asst. instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

Re: PRACTICE SITES

The North Avenue Armory, Chicago Avenue Armory (the site just east of the Watertown on Michigan Avenue)and Glenview Naval Air Station were used for winter drill practices. We actually started work on the drill in November.

The Chicago Avenue Armory was originally for horse units and it had a dirt floor. I believe they had polo matches in the armory and it was the practice site for the Shriner's Black Horse Unit. I noted recently (visit in 2002) that this structure has been torn down and is now a park with softball fields.

I recollect Onahan Elementary School. The Imperials practiced there when I was in the Cadets and in 1962 and 1963. I recollect that on some summer evenings I could hear the corps at our house which was about a mile away.

We also practiced in 1965 and 1966 at a number of the Forest Preserves during the summer although AB-Dick was usually our primary site.

How could I forget the North Avenue Armory (site of many marching instruction sessions by our "lovable" marching instructor, Rick Maass. We used the armory on Friday nights, twice a month. The (ugh) Cavaliers used the same site on the OTHER Fridays. Then, The Royal Airs also used it! You could go and watch any corps.

The Chicago Avenue Armory was a very good place for indoor drills .. it was larger than the North Avenue Armory. BUT the smell (horses) and the dirt (also from horses and the field surface)!

Glenview Air Station was a great place to rehearse ... BIG and clean! But, you needed a car to get there.

What did you do in the Corps? percussion 1958-63; asst. instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

For the B-corps gang, how about the Amvets Post on Milwaukee Avenue near Bryn Mayr? The drum line was always there (Tuesday's I think) with George Munzer.

There was another spot near Harlem & Lawrence in '68 & 69? for drill. I think the company's name began with an M. Also a park further west on Lawrence for music practice.

It seems that the corps had difficulty holding onto practice sites - even in the industrial areas.

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor/Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1961

All of the sites already mentioned were STILL being used by the A corps when I was in (both times). But I would add to the Cadets list a field house at one of the local parks (can't remember which) during the winter, and St. Techla's for summer rehearsals.

And since John T. mentioned George Munzer, he was STILL the drum instructor in 1970-71 when I was in the Cadets, along with Dick Snyder on horns and Joan Briske on guard/marching.

Does anyone know whatever happened to George? What a great guy!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I recollect that Joan Briske and George Munzer took over instruction of the Cadets in 1960. Lee Druth also took over the Cadets brass in 1960.

Another thing about the Chicago Avenue Armory was that it was warm and humid. That was an interesting contrast when the weather was below freezing outside.

Good old Practice Sites,what memories.When the
North Avenue Armory was mentioned,that one I always
liked,that made me think of the time when they
held either VFW or American Legion State,not sure
which or what year it was,but it was held there
because of the rains we had that day.

It was decided to bring all the corps over there.
Each Drum Corps had so much time to revise there
drill to fit the main floor in the Armory.It was
like changing the drill for the State Fair in
Springfield.

Dave,do you remember what year that was?

Bell and Howell was always a gruelling practice,
all day in the hot sun.

I always liked the Billy Caldwell Post.It had
a lot of room for each of the sections.

And of course you can't talk about Practice Sites
without ever mentioning good old Norwood Park
Fieldhouse.They should have a plaque with our name
on it somewhere.

There was another indoor practice site that the
Corps used a long time ago,if fact it was a long
time sponsor of Norwood,American Legion Post
740.I never practiced there,they used this hall
before I came in.The building is still there
on Northwest Highway,between Raven and Neola
Avenue,I think they still have the A.L Post sign
on the front.

I'm not sure how long they used it to practice
there.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

During the early 80's we were the Mt. Prospect Imperials. We praticed at a old school although I cant remember the name. It was great becase we had many rooms to use and could pratice in small groups. There was a gym that we praticed field work in as well in the winter months. During the weeked camps we also had many rooms to sleep in. When it was time to pratice the field work we went to the "Basin" at Lions park. It was a water retention area that was the size of a football field. A place where mosquitos grew to the size of small birds. A good thing about the basin is that it was very deep and the sound stayed in there. Also when praticing the top of the basin was like the press box at a football field so there was a place to focus the sound.

What did you do in the Corps? Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 82-84

Mike, I think that "basin" site may have been MELAS PARK at Central and Busse Rd in Mt. Prospect. It is a park built in a water retention basin .. just as you described. The mosquitoes must have been HUGE!

In the late 70s early 80s we practiced behind the Salerno Cookie factory in Niles. It was hard concentrating on music and drills with the smell of butter cookies in the air. I vaguley remember some members using the old " I have to use the bathroom," excuse to get a chance to snag some free cookies.

How about winter practice at what I think might have been the American Legion Post on North and Cicero in the mid 70's, Alvernia High School, the Armory on Broadway and my first practice ever at the forest preserve building near the tobagin shutes on Devon and Nagel!!

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 71 - 78

ALVERNIA High School. When I was visiting up there this past summer I could NOT remember the name of that school! We were still there in the winter before the 1978 season, but we moved somewhere further out the next winter - anyone remember where that was?

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I just worked at the old Alvernia High School. It is now Thurgood Marshall Middle School. Chicago Public Schools took the school over about 3 years ago. What memories! This was the first practice that I was in when I went up into the A corp from Cadets. Before that I remember practices at the Donnelly's house for the drum line and Skokie Post for the big practices.
In A corp we were everywhere we were able to get a spot. I remember all the places that Pete and Judy stated. The best was Salerno. I think we ate all the rejected cookies that they couldn't sell but they were good!

1980 - through 1983

Niles East High School - This is no longer a high school and has been torn down. Several films were also filmed there.

Skokie American Legion Post I remember the tank out in front. The basement was a treasure trove of memorabilia.

Vapor Parking lot - Vapor was a chemical company that had a great lighted parking lot. It was righ behind the Salerno cookie factory and the smell was intoxicating. I remembering using the bathroom there and sneaking some butter cookies.

Einstein School - This was a grade school that was shut down. We owned that school. The water was shutdown though so you had to hold it to go to the bathroom or walk to the Pizza place a few blaocks away.

Des Plaines JR. High - This school had a pool, and great showers. This school became a Park District facility. Famous story in 1981 involving skinny - dipping there. Another famous story there in 1982 involving a bottle of shampoo and our Manager at the time.

Lions Park - I remember we'd get complaints from local residents about the noise there.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

Alum Ralph Tomas recently wrote:

The most obscure and forgotten practice location would be Wildwood Park in Edgebrook. The corps practiced there once and the local 'talent' considered us a bunch of sissy types. Fortunate for them the corps purchased new horns(first chromies)over the winter and the practice was cut short. A few of us boys returned over the week end for recruitment purposes. A few takers but no recruits.

--------------

Yes, I remember that site too. It was a last minute addition to sites since we had a problem at another site.

But, it was hard to find and was in a residential area where the residents didn't like having us there. AND, the local "youth" thought they could have some fun at the corps expense. (Maybe NOT!)

It wasn't worth the effort to use the site!

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer 1958-63; instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I recollect practicing at Wildwood Park in 1965. I don't recollect any confrontation with neighborhood kids. I do remember practicing there more than once. After the Woodstock contest in late July/early August 1965 we made some major changes in the drill during the week that show and before going to Sarina, Ontario the next weekend. We practiced every night that week and Wildwood was one of the sites. Must have worked as we won the contest with the top Canadian corps in Sarina.

I probably only remember Wildwood as that's the first time I saw a Lincoln Mark II--which was way ahead of it's time in styling for an American car. I think someone's parent owned the car or it was parked across the street from the park.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1966

Re: Re: PRACTICE SITES

Also remember practicing at Taft High School. Lincoln Jr. High in Mt. Prospect, The National Gaurd Armory on Clark and the VFW or American Legion Post on North Avenue and Cicero.

Bob, I just found you question due to the new post, that school we practice at in 1979 was Lincoln Jr. HS. Pete mentioned it in an early post, but I don,t see where the two ever connected. Niles East and the American Legion post in Skokie have both been torn down. There are condos where the legion post was situated and a new junior college where the high school was located. I,m sure that by now that someone has made you aware that George Munzer passed away many years ago. You're right, he was a great guy.

What did you do in the Corps? Cadet manager 1975 Imperial manager 1976-1979

Jim,

Thanks for the info. The last time I was in Skokie, the AL post had been cut in half, but it was still there. And George Munzer was a great guy. He had a unique way of singing our parts (most of the kids didn't read much music, if any), that Dad and I still joke about!

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79