Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hastee- Tastee!

HASTEE-TASTEE!

Anyone remember that name?

Hastee -Tastee, a “small eating establishment” (hot dog stand) at 5446 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Norwood Park, was an institution to most Corps members. Owned by alum Larry Nelson's family, Hastee -Tastee also provided part time work to many Corps kids.

Famous for the "meal on the bun", with salad fixin’s and condiments for “foot long” Polish sausages, hot dogs, triple cheese burgers, they had long lines down Milwaukee Avenue. Many Corps members worked there .. making food, serving customers with the “rolling prep trays” and preparing the tomatoes, lettuce, etc. at the Nelson’s home!

Hastee-Tastee was open until 2:00 AM on Fri and Sat night - so that was the place to go and eat a Foot long Polish in the parking lot and hang out with friends. Then get up early the next day for a corps turnout!

There were other favorite places around too, such as SuperDawg, Mister T burger, Whelan Pool, the toboggan slides. Most are still there, along with Hastee-Tastee (now with new owners. Still good, but not the same. Stop by again and try it out!)

Tom Walter was one of the Corps members who worked at Hastee-Tastee. He must have learned something, as he started his OWN place later. Called it Tasty Pup. Later started another place with his brothers, called Tasty Dawg .. and it grew it into several locations. Then they started Tasty Catering and it really grew! Very successful .. and it all started with a hot dog!

This came to mind because there was a recent article in The Chicago area DAILY HERALD business section about "Tasty Catering" describing the growth and success that it has achieved. Way to go, Tom!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1959-63; quartermaster 1964-66; assisant instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: Hastee- Tastee!

Sad report from Rich Biver

Well I have bad news. Hastee-Tastee closed a long time ago. I was driving down Milwaukee Ave. last Monday on my way to the dentist thinking maybe Hastee-Tastee relocated somewhere else along Milwaukee Ave.

Andy's Polish Deli is there now and has been for awhile.I live only a few blocks or so from where Hastee-Tastee used to be and when it closed they turned it into a parking lot. Andy's Deli decided to expand and than they used part of the lot for the expansion.

Oh well, there's still good old SuperDawg.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1959-63; quartermaster 1964-66; assisant instructor 1964-70

Went to a new fast food take out place which opened locally ... had a hot dog. While it was "OK" (and actually better than most area offerings), it was NOTHING like the traditional REAL Chicago style hot dog, which was best done by Hastee- Tastee!

Made me really miss that good old place!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

There's a good hot dog joint on West Lake(Euclid)and Milwaukee Avenue north. It's on the southwest corner in a strip center(no drive thru). Their dogs and burgers are allowed all the slop you want to put on them and are very good.

I remember Hastee Tasty for burgers. When I was at Northwestern in the early 70s there was a place called Mustard's Last Stand which is on Central Street across from the stadium. It was much like Hastee-Tastee. I know it's still there as ESPN showed it during one of the Northwestern football telecasts this fall.

At O'Hare they have a couple of hot dog stands in the United terminal. I always try to get one of their Vienna Hot Dogs with "the works" when I change planes at O'Hare. There's also a place that sells Italian Beef Sandwich's. Probably the best food one can get at O'Hare and better than mystery meals the airlines serve.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-66 (Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66)

Heard this a couple of times about Hot Dog's at
O'Hare Airport,they sell more of these in one day
than all the places in Chicago combined.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 Thru 1963

I wouldn't be surprised if they sell more at O'Hare than all other places in Chicago combined. If you have less than a hour between flights a hot dog is a quick option for some hot food. There are enough stands at O'Hare so that the wait is usually short.

Whoever owns the franchise for those stands has a gold mine. Probably some alderman's nephew.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-66 (Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66)