Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CORPS UNIFORMS THROUGH THE YEARS!

We'd like to build a summary of the corps uniforms through the years ... hopefully WITH pictures.

Yes, we do have some pictures, but we need more. In fact, knowing the years various uniforms were used actually helps us to date some of the pictures that we have!

If you can describe the uniforms you had, and send pictures, please do. Post descriptions here or send to me. Send pictures to me too.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1959-63; quartermaster 1964-66; assisant instructor 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: CORPS UNIFORMS THROUGH THE YEARS!

I loved the uniforms during the 60's and early 70's (although the second set was a little more "bando" than the first, with the sloping shakos). And I missed the crown on the jacket in the second set, too.

I wasn't as crazy about the uniforms we wore in 78-79 (and before and after that). I know finances were a problem at the time, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. We looked sharp, and they were well taken care of, but they weren't distinctive like the battle jackets. But they certainly were more comfortable than the jackets in the heat of the summer - especially in the South!

I'm STILL waiting for my cape, Mrs. Foo...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I think that one only has to look at photos on this site to see the difference. The first generation of battle jackets (1862) were the sharpest Norwood uniforms.

We never seemed to be able to get the drum majors uniforms right though. In 1962, Rene Shannon wore pants which had always been the style for Norwood women drum majors. I actually thought that was a good uniform except for the difference in the color--the "white" didn't quite match the battle jackets. I do recollect that people in the east made scarastic comments about midwest corps putting girls in pants--Judy Naples of the Royal Airs had a uniform style similar to Rene.

In 1965 and 1966, Janis, Sandy and Margaret wore what can be described more as a costume (see 1965 and 1966 corps pictures). The hat was out of place with the rest of the corps.

Maybe the best uniforms were in 1963 and 1964 when Sam and Ted wore the battle jacket with "white" trousers and Janis wore the battle jacket with a white skirt and maroon plume. Although not carrying a sabre was all that distinguised her from the color guard sargents.

I recollect that Tom Cushing had something to do with the design of the 1962 battle jackets. Bob has mentioned the gold crown on the from of the uniform, but we also had what was called the "no parking" sign on the side. There was a patch with NP on one of the arms.

John, I agree with you. The first generation was by far the best looking. In the later generations, they went to more band style - adding the maroon tapered panel to the back of the uniform instead of the piping.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1969

Adding the maroon panel to the back of the battle jackets may have been done to "enhance" the corps look while on the field ... when some members were NOT facing the front stands the corps would maintain a "uniform" look.

What year did the corps change to the satin shirts with "Aussie" style headgear? Was this style unchanged until the corps disbanded, or were there several variations?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1959-63; quartermaster 1964-66; assisant instructor 1964-70

John, the "no parking" (NP) patch we had on the shoulder was essentially the shield part of the Corps Logo which you see on our website.

The only picture I can find which shows the "No Parking" sign--representing the shield on the Norwood emblem-- is a picture of my sister and Nancy Wills from 1964. This is posted under people on the site. One can see the patch on Nancy's left upper arm. (Note there are two pictures of them labeled 1964. The one taken in full uniform with flags is actually from 1965).

The patch is actually more eloborate than I recollected.

In looking at those photos and the picture of the Dream Contest Retreat (also posted under 60s), there is another feature of midwest versus east. The girls in the midwestern corps wore shorter skirts--to the knee or just above. In the Dream contest photo there's a good comparison with the Audobon Bon Bons and St Kevins. Their skirts are below the knee. So the midwest put women drum majors in pants and the guards wore shorter skirts.

We changed from the battle jackets to the satin shirts in the middle of the 1976 season. I'm sure the plan was for us to go with the new uniforms from the start of the season, but things took a little longer than planned.

In either 1980 or 1981 we added a gold/yellow vest to the uniform. There were probably some other minor changes along the way as well. I'm not sure if this was the final look for the uniform or not.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1981

And of course the hat changed over the years. During the late 1970's through the 1980's at least, the corps had the Aussie style hat with the plume. Sometimes the hat was Maroon, other times it was Gold.

But of course, we all know Jim Fetty's silhoutte with the aussie hat and plume was used in a lot of Imperial logos and images in the 1980's.

Jim, did you ever get royalties for that?

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

I actually kept my DM hat from 78-79 (the white one - it was so dirty from throwing it at the end of the show that they couldn't use it anymore). I wore it during rehearsals with Spirit in 1980.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Jim,
I didn't realize (or just plain forgot) that the corps continued to use my likeness. It was a strange experience when I first came across that silhoutte. In June of 1977 I had major knee surgery which put me on the disabled list for the entire summer. We were at a show in Minnesota and I hobbled up on my crutches into the stands with the corps staff to watch the performance. An usher handed me a program pamphlet, and that silhoutte was on the cover. We looked at it commenting about how it looked familiar before realizing that it was me!

I never saw the actual photo that it was taken from, but it would have been from the latter part of 1976. The corps then used it on some of it's show covers (apparently more than I realized!). One of my brothers also had a t-shirt made for me with the silhoutte on it. Never a cent in royalties though!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

Always liked the BATTLE JACKETS we channged over to
in the early 60's.The SATIN SHIRT'S we had were
nice to,but on a "HOT AND MUGGY" day you would
swear right thru them.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957-thru 1963

Looking through this old thread while researching general corps uniforms, I also wonder about IMPERIALS uniforms before the times mentioned in posts to date.

Looking back:

1976- 80s: Satin shirts (but overlay) with Aussie hats
1962- 1975: Battle jackets with shakos (some variations)
1950 - 1961: Satin shorts and shakos (with some variations)
1947- 1950: Eisenhower jackets and shakos
1940-47: satin shirts and shakos