Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite corps uniforms?

Some people were talking about great uniforms on another alumni forum "thread". Wonder what our alums would say about their favorite uniforms of corps they have seen?

Here are some of MY fav's:

1. ORIGINAL Holy Name/ Garfield Cadets
2. Norwood 1962 "Battle Jackets"
3. St. Vincent Cadets Battle Jackets (Pre 1959)
4. Madison Scouts SCOUT uniforms with white spats
(1960s)
5. Boston Crusaders (still the same after 50 years)
6. Reilly Raiders (senior)
7. Hawthorne Caballeros (senior)
8. Skokie Indians!
9. Santa Clara Vanguard (1970-72)
10. Blue Devils (1970's) before they added all the
glitter
11. Belleville Black Knights battle jackets ...
without the shiny hats!!

What are YOUR favorites??

What did you do in the Corps? tenor & snare 1958-63; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instructor 1964-70i

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

Re: Favorite corps uniforms?

OMIGOSH!!

I left out St. Kevin's Emerald Knights!! They had GREAT uniforms (often referred to as "the Christmas Tree Corps").

What did you do in the Corps? tenor & snare 1958-63; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instructor 1964-70i

St Kevin's Emerald Knights are at the top of the list. Cover shot on the 1960 Fleetwood VFW Nationals was the first time I saw them and got a close up look at 1963 Dream. Green, White and Red--Christmas colors.

Belleville uniforms of early 60s. Battle jackets with one black and one white sleeve. Regular styple shako and white plume.

Boston Crusaders and the New York Skyliners. Red, Black and White battle/West Point Jackets. Skokie Vanguard had a similar color scheme but didn't look as good.

I liked the Norwood battle jackets over the Garfield Uniforms and I didn't like Garfield's white tousers.

Madison in mid-70s with relatively simple explorer type uniform, white spats, white belt, white Aussie type hats and a sash.

Kilties, then and now.

Some great uniforms worn by the Drum Corps that
were mentioned,you have to add Blessed Sac to that
list,especially seening them under the lights.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957-thru 1963

I agree Rich.

The photo section of this site has a picture of the 1963 Dream Retreat (last photo posted under 1960s). It includes Garfield, Audobon (all girls corps), Norwood, St Kevin's and Blessed Sacrament. Four of the uniforms mentioned on this string.

I actually liked Belleville's chrome helmets in '72!

I would add Santa Clara when they first changed to the long coats (also '72), and the Troopers (I actually own one of the old Trooper hats that they were selling one year in the 90's).

How about WORST uniforms? My vote (HERE'S a real surprise): the Bridgemen's long yellow coats!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Have to agree with Rich and John about the uniforms that BS had!

They especially looked good at NIGHT, under the lights.!! Very GOLDEN!

And, yes, the KILTS uniforms were VERY MUCH designed to complement their image and program! Very well done and authentic too.

Troopers fit into that category too. 27th Lancers did it too. And, I have already mentioned the Bridgemen.

In the senior ranks, there is HAWTHORNE!

Others?

I have to take a contrary view to Dave on Hawthorne on their uniforms, but the music made up for that short coming.

actually, I meant that Hawthorne's uniforms were designed to complement and enhance their program focus (Spanish music).

Belleville Black Knights were one of my favorites as were our Battle Jackets.

Worst were the Vaqueros and anything the Cavies colorgaurd wears.

The most military uniforms I remember were the Milstad Cadets (I hope I spelled it right), with the west point type of uniform.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Major and Baritone

I just remembered, it's the Milstadt Crusaders.

Steve, the Milstadt Crusaders unis were OK, but had (I think) a Crusader Cross on the front of the jacket. Sort of ruined it for me. I prefer the Boston Crusaders ... and, of course, the NP battle jacket!!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63; asst. drum instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Dave, take a look at their web site pictures. They didn't have a cross, they were grey battle jackets with a white strap across the front and a silver buckle in the middle. And they had the tallest plume of any corp I can remember

hey now.. I OWN a Bridgemen yellow jacket! I LOVED my banana uniform! Actually I loved the hat.. and every year we made new tails for them :)

What did you do in the Corps? 1st soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 78-83

I agree with David's assessment of The Garfield Cadets uniforms in the 60's. There is more than the uniform to evaluate and it was my pleasure to meet with the members of that organization and stunned by their dedication to their corps.

Not only did they have great uniforms but their support group put together astonishing capes for the color guard to wear when off the field.

I think the Cadets of the 60's have carried over their crowd pleaser show to current years, original, solos, great M-M, unlike some of their competition.

The Cadets uniforms of the 1960s (and 1950s) were reasonably faithful copies West Point Cadet style dress uniforms. Of course the colors were different.

The Cadets seem to be the one corps that has generally kept the same style uniform from the 1950s to the present. Although I think there've been some modifications associated with recent shows of the DCI version that seem strange--like a white rectangle on the back of the jacket and I remember seeing strange shakos with a mask in back. Wierd modifications to a classic costume. If the Cadets continue with shows like this past season's I wouldn't be surprised to see their uniforms change.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1966

In the last three years, The Cadets donned three different uniforms, and they recently sold off their 2006 ones.

The basic style of the Cadets Uniforms hasn't changed over the years. I assume they have a new set of uniforms each year based on the use and cleaning that's done during the season.

I also assume it's a good fund raiser to sell uniforms to the "hardcore" fans.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

While they were basically the same, they were noticably different too in each of the last three years. Do you know the various ways in which each one was different? There were several ways. The backs of this year's jackets, for example, were different from that which any corps had ever worn. Also, the jackets were NOT identical, one to the next and to the next... each different on the backs. Which other corps has changed uniforms as much in EACH of the last three years?

The only one I see is the Blue Devils. The have different costumes every year.

Garfield is the only one that has kept the same concept for maybe 50 years. That's about the only thing they've kept the same.

Norwood 1962 "Battle Jackets

myspace codes
Myspace Codes: MyNiceSpace.com

http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user&MyToken=21dc5c87-1611-4555-a595-ba6119dd3428

What did you do in the Corps? soprano

What years were you a Corps member? late 60's to mid 70's

Some recent posts spoke about corps uniforms, so I went back to our earlier discussion about uniforms and updated the list. Also, I added a "least liked" list too! Add more of yours.

Favorites (not ranked in any order, although the top two maroon entries were listed as favorites by many Imperials!):

1. ORIGINAL Holy Name/ Garfield Cadets
2. Norwood 1962 Battle Jackets
3. St. Vincent Cadets Battle Jackets (Pre 1958)
4. Madison Scouts actual Explorer SCOUT uniforms with white spats (1960s) and in mid-70s with explorer and added white Aussie type hats and a sash.
5. Boston Crusaders, 1950s to 2008. West Point style jackets
6. Reilly Raiders (senior)
7. Hawthorne Caballeros (senior). Support their theme
8. Skokie Indians! West Point style jackets
9. Santa Clara Vanguard (1970-72)
10. Blue Devils (1970's) before they added all the glitter
11. Belleville Black Knights battle jackets ... early 60s. Battle jackets with one black and one white sleeve. Regular style shako and white plume. Without the shiny helmets, (although some people liked those helmets).
12. St. Kevin's Emerald Knights!! They had GREAT uniforms (often referred to as "the Christmas Tree Corps").
13. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights with gold satin shirts .. great under the lights!
14. New York Skyliners. Red, Black and White battle/West Point Jackets.
15. Bayonne Bridgemen - a lot of people really like the Bridgemen uniforms! Not at all traditional, but very interesting! Supported their "theme"
16. Racine Kilties! (theme)
17. Milstadt Crusaders (West Point style jackets)
18. Casper Troopers (theme)
19. 27th Lancers (theme).
20. CapitolAires (all girl) Madison, WI
21. Spirit of Atlanta
22. Princemen (senior), Boston, MA

Some we didn't like much:

1. Star of Indiana
2. Racine Scouts
3. White Tornadoes (Momence)
4. Sundowners
5. LaCrosse Blue Stars
6. Stardusters
7. Blue Rock (Delaware)
8. Crossmen

Dave,

WHICH Star of Indiana uniform didn't you like - there were so many to choose from! The original pink ones had to be the worst.

And I'd move Bridgemen to the other list - I still get a nervous tick when I think of them.

I actually liked Belleville's helmets in 1973!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, you are right about Star .. but I can't find any one who likes ANY of their uniforms.

Bridgemen could be on BOTH lists .. there are a number of folks who liked their uniforms. I think they did a fine job of supporting their "radical" theme.

Same with the Black Knights helmets ... some people liked them, others not. But the basic uniforms were great.

What did you do in the Corps? tenor & snare drum 1958-63, ass't instructor 1964-70, qtrmaster 64-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63