Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tag Days

Remember Tag Days?

I'm sure there are some good Tag Day stories to share.

My first Tag Day was the spring of 1980. We did a tag day in Glenview. I was in my uniform and given an intersection to work. I was the only one working the intersection.

The very first car I ever approached on my very first Tag Day. The lady rolled down her window. I asked her if she would like to donate to the Imperials Drum & Bugle Corps. "Oh, I can't do that," she said. "My Son's in the Cavaliers." She rolled up her window and drove off.

Not only was that my introduction to tag days, but served to introduce me to the Cavaliers at the same time.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

Re: Tag Days

We never had "Tag Days" when I was in the corps. But, I remember seeing Imperials at the intersection of Rand and Elmhurst Roads in Mt. Prospect (next to Randhurst). They were there in the 1980s as I drove to work. I would donate and would also stop to talk.

I was surprised at first, as this was new to me.

Sorry to hear the Cavalier mom's reaction.
I guess that she felt is was "bad form" to support another drum corps! Maybe they'd throw her son out of the corps if it becamne public!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63; instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

In '77, I think we spent more time at tag days and trying to sell ruby-red grapefruit than we did practicing. How nuts was it to have kids beg for money in the middle of busy intersections? Hey, we got new uniforms, drums and horns!!!

Nothing like almost giving your life for the Corps! I do remember having a "competition" as to who could get the most donations. Judy Gill usually won as she was very forward and would not hesitate to get in people's faces for money!
(Aside: For those of you who remember me, here is something that should make you laugh. I am going to be a grandma in late December; my oldest daughter, Jessica, is expecting a baby. Don't you all feel a little bit older now?!!!)

What did you do in the Corps? French horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1975-1979

Tag days sound alot better than selling Christmas trees. I kinda voluntereed to help week end evenings for three years, two at the Jewel on Foster/Harlem and one year across the street from 'Superdawg'at Milwaukee/Devon. We unloaded the trees, tagged em and tied em when they were sold-and loaded. For some reason I think selling tags was a good idea.

And you wonder why I don't like returning to Chicago during the winter.......... ?

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

My first "function" with the Imperials was a tag day. Since I was new I got put into a guard uniform and I remember the boots I wore were probably two sizes too small.

Since my dad was the treasurer, I can remember the cans coming home and he and my mother prying the cans open with a pliers and counting the money. Your hands would be all black, and I kind of remember my mom getting a rash up her arm once. . .

What did you do in the Corps? Bells & Xylo

What years were you a Corps member? 77-79

Norwood had a couple of different ways of trying to
raise money when I was in the "B"corps and the first
year I went into the "A"corps.They held a carnival
and I think they did this for a couple of years in a
row.It was held at the corner of Austin and Gunnison
Avenues in Chicago,and it did help raise a few extra
dollars for the corps.Now there's a funneral home
on the site.

The other way I remember is they use to have these
paper rolling parties,always held in someone's
basement.Everyone would bring stacks of old
papers with them.We would lay each page of the
newspapers out on the floor one sheet on top of the
other until we had so many and than roll them up
and tie them into bundles.

The company that they were taken to gave the corps
so many dollars for each pound we had.

What did you do in the Corps? FRENCH HORN

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

I LOVED the Cherry Tree! I got the tackiest presents for my girlfriend there...

And the pancake breakfasts, which were All You Can Eat. I don't know how we made ANY money on those!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

We have talked about a lot of FUND RAISING plans for the corps. Cherry Tree! Paper rolling. Tag Days. Christmas Tree sales. Door to door collections were done too!

Probably a lot of others were done. I don't recall the corps ever doing BINGO ... although the (ugh) Cavaliers did benefit from this being done at their Park Ridge VFW sponsor for a while.

NOW .. corps get $$ from sponsors such as villages or companies. ALSO, they charge the members big bucks to sign on for each summer. (All that travel and equipment isn't free!)

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63; instructor 1964-70; quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

We were talking about fund raisers recently, and the TAG DAYS effort was mentioned. I would have HATED that too! BTW .. it sounds a bit DANGEROUS ... putting kids into some dangerous intersections in heavy traffic! Not really smart IMHO!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 63

I marched until 75 and we had only one tag day. It was in Skokie, how awful but me made money. I remember in the cadets we sold corsages at Christmas, they were ugly. We had paper drives in the 70's. Lois Lindquist would drive the truck, and we picked up newspaper from the parkway. Then we rolled the paper at her house in Norridge. The paper was delivered to Marhsll Fields, where Henry Majewiski worked. They would only take non colored paper because it was used for their lamp shade packing. Thanks to him we made a few bucks and keep us off the streets.