Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Royal Airs" and Alumni Corps

A lot of Norwood alums joined the Royal Airs alumni corps in 2002 (and later years) because it gave them a chance to "do drum corps" again.

The RA alumni corps presented music which people could understand, a field drill which showed great marching skills and military style, and great spirit.
Excellent drumming and bugling skills too!

They had a great time. But, the corps ran into the same problem of many corps .. politics and internal problems. People can be goofy!

Perhaps some NP alums don't like being associated with the "Royal Airs". But, that is silly. They are the same kind of drum corps people as us. Great folks.

As for me, I hope that the people involved can form another corps with the same spirit and musical approach .. but without the silly "background noise"!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer 1958-63; assistant instructor 1964-70;quartermaster 1964-66

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: "Royal Airs" and Alumni Corps

Well put, Dave. It's just silly not to have an alumni corps from Chicago. The Royalaires proved that it's possible.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

"Royal Airs" and Alumni Corps

Jerry Davidson asked me to post this note. Seems worth considering, especially if you would enjoy a "less intense" experience.

--------------------------------------

Dave,

Would it be possible to put out the call for the old members to consider getting back with Royal Airs? They seem to have healed the wounds with MOB and I was at the camp and played the gig at Momence and people really enjoyed themselves. The corps shows a lot of promise if we can get everyone there at the same time. I actually came out of retirement and joined.
Having Ken Norman there working the Brass and doing some new arrangements certainly helps in my eyes. He was the best brass instructor I have ever encountered. He is brilliant and really seems to have mellowed and actually gotten better with age. LOL

I would appreciate anything you can do in getting the word out to those that marched before or might want a fun corps to play in. It's pretty kicked back and I really like the idea of being in a corps where there is no pressure. I considered joining Kilts but they are too intense. They are going to be mighty good, but too much intensity and commitment for me to consider at my age.

Thanks for anything you can do.
Jerry

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63