Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shary Shreffler recovery

Dave Borck also asked me to post news concerning my wife Shary's amazing recovery from her stroke in January. Every doctor and therapist considers her to be a miracle. Apparently 60% of people who have her type and severity of stroke die within the first month. And NONE of her caregivers has ever seen anyone recover like she has in such a short time. Shary is now walking (with a cane) and is starting to get some movement in the left shoulder and elbow (but nothing in the hand yet). Mentally she is just about 100%. She goes to therapy two or three days each week, which is exhausting, but is working wonders. We go to dinner and movies (as lone as they're short - we haven't seen the new Pirates yet!), and visit with friends, so we're not prisoners in the house anymore. She is becoming more independent all the time, and yesterday took her first solo shower in five months! It is unbelievable to watch.

Thanks again to all those who lifted her up in your prayers and thoughts. We have no doubt that it helped her recovery tremendously. And keep those same prayers and thoughts going for her and for Wayne.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Re: Shary Shreffler recovery

Bob, that is totally GREAT news!

Thanks for keeping us all advised. Will continue prayers ... and YES, prayers ARE helpful!

Also .. YES, pray for healing for our good friend and worker WAYNE MOUNSEY! Send cards. Call, if you can.
Give encouragement!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

awesome news!

Great NEWS! Prayers really do help!

Bob: whassup there?

What did you do in the Corps? drums

We went to the hospital today after therapy, to see the nurses and therapists Shary had during her 75 days there. EVERYONE was amazed, and most of them didn't even recognize her at first. I think she made everyone's day, because they don't often get to see what happens after someone leaves the hospital. Shary is now walking on the treadmill and is up to 5 houses on our outside walks. The miracle continues!

THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS!

KEEP IT GOING!

What did you do in the Corps? drums

Awesome. Soooooo wonderful!

So, Bob .. how about an update report?

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Since my last update, Shary continues to do amazing things. We had a CT scan done, and her brain surgeon has released her because there's no longer ANY evidence of damage. She has also been released from speech, cognitive, and physical therapies, although occupational therapy is continuing to get her arm moving. She is back to beating me at Scrabble, so mentally she's fine! She is walking most distances, including around the house, out to restaurants (which we do a LOT because of my poor cooking skills!), and even out to get the mail. We only use the wheelchair now for longer trips (like a day at Disney or shopping), or if she's really tired (they call it "stroke fatigue"). I returned to school this week, and we don't need a full-time caregiver like we did in the spring, because she can make her meals, take care of the dog, paint, get on the computer, etc. by herself. She's having difficulty getting used to being alone all day, but physically she's doing great.

We started acupuncture treatments, which seem to be helping return movement to her left arm (the only thing that still isn't working properly) and they are definitely helping with the pain. We have also ordered a new orthotic device that should help the arm as well.

It has really been amazing to watch her - I've never seen anyone work so hard! She is determined to be one of those people who, a couple of years from now, people act surprised when they learn she had a stroke. And if anyone can do it, Shary can!

Thanks for continuing to ask, think, and pray about her.

Bob, that is all good news!

But, being able to beat YOU at Scrabble doesn't sound like an indicator of progress to me!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Thanks a lot! And I notice that NOBODY jumped in to dispute that remark, either!