Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Talking Cadets

On dci.org, there's a lot of fuss about The Cadets and all their narration this season... under "News." (See August 2.) People are complaining like mad. The last couple years it was singing and narration, now it's narration... lots of it/// really sickening sappy stuff. Here is what I just wrote, at dci.org, in response to all the negativity regarding The Cadets (who are now the favorites to win at the Rose Bowl... ugh!):

Why get all worked up about the Cadets?! Just let them be. Personally, I ignore them... have for a few years now. I don't listen to any music by them on cd's, because of the singing/talking stuff. Just let them be. When I'm at a show, and they are there, I walk out until they're finished doing their "thing," and then I return to witness drum corps activity. Just ignore them; don't fight. Who knows... maybe they'll go away, in time. In the meantime, take a bathroom and concessions break til they leave the field. Works for me. Why not give this a try. If more corps start doing what they do out there (gab/sing/etc.), I go watch more baseball games during the summer and turn this activity over to the narration and singing experts... all of 'em... they can have it... I won't want it any longer. Bye.

Back to paying attention to the drum corps out there. Let the Cadets be... just let 'em alone. Don't give 'em all this attention... let 'em be. Enjoy the other corps... the drum corps.

Re: The Talking Cadets

Haven't seen or heard the Cadets and their narration, but your solution works for me!

There was quite a discussion on the "Talk Back" part of dci.org's "News" section, re. the narration being done by The Cadets. The vast majority of the very many responses, by fans, was negative and even super-negative. There was an amazing number of such responses in only a day and a half since the article about The Cadets appeared (on Aug. 2). As of this morning, ALL of the responses are wiped off the website and the Talk Back feature, for this one article, has been totally removed from the dci.org website! I guess they didn't like what the fans had to say. It seems that The Cadets can talk all they like, but we, the fans, get cut off from talking. Way to go DCI!

If they win, we'll see how many corps are using narration NEXT year. That's what usually happens with the Cadets. And their director STILL is pushing for woodwinds in drum corps - and eventually he'll get it, because he's gotten everything else he's ever pushed for, in time. The only hope for this kind of stuff not spreading is for the corps NOT to win. Unfortunately, the majority of DCI judges are band directors, and they LOVE this kind of stuff.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I think the Blue Devils or another corps did narration a while back. Seem to recollect reading about it.

It's a matter of degree. Yes, the Devils did some, as have other corps, but in moderation, and carefully. The narration during the Cadets program is sappy and ridiculously long... lots of it! A little bit, here and there, can work. The Devils' "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse," last year, for example, was great! It added to the overall program. I used to look forward to that part, in fact. But, the Cadets... that's a whole other story. They just go on and on and on............ Yuck!

Sounds horrible!

I'm not talking about last years Blue Devils, this goes bact to 2003 or 2004.

In '04, the Blue Devils did Dance Contest of the Century, and there was some narration, but it didn't drown out the music, and there was NOT nearly as much narration as the Cadets have in their '07 show. Actually, the narrator in that '04 show fit in, he was doing what the pa.a. announcer at such a dance would do. I still enjoy listening to the Devils do that show. The Devils used narration, the Cadets abuse narration... just plain toooooo much of it... and, in '07 it's sappy stuff. Really crud.

It is Drum Corps, not Narration Corps.

I think the Cadets should just shut up and play.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Quads

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

saw the (abbeviated) Cadets show on the DCI broadcast. It was horrible.

Not only was the narration a distraction, the music couldn't be heard (maybe a TV thing). So .. what WAS their musical show? What was that all about?

What is the point of that? Is drum corps now giving "message" shows? Not music?

Great .. will we have "Greeenpeace" shows; "global warming" shows and "Get out of Iraq" shows? Sort of like Garfield's "No More War" show of 1971. Bah!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

The difference is that their 71 show stunk, so there was little danger of it infecting drum corps in general. This mess took second...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Very strange!

Good comments Dave. I can see the Cadets doing a show on "Global Warming" and having Al Gore as their narrator. Next year is an election year so there are a lot of possibilities.

As Bob says, they finished second so they may be interested in pushing narration further.

OMIGosh ... election year!

Who can envision the possibilities for drum corps shows?

It's a shame that the Cadet's(Garfield)has gotten to
this stage,as well as the other corp's.
I have to to think back when Drum Corp was Drum Corp
and I have a tendency to do that a lot,especially
now the way things are.
I wish people could have seen and heard Garfield
back than especially at the Dream,what those people
missed.Years prior to that contest and some years
after this was the true Cadets(Garfield).
I have sympathy for those who were part of Drum
Corp back than and still look at this as being
better.
Garfield always was one of my favorite to watch
and listen to.One of the most dynamic corps there
was.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

The Cadets programs in 1960 and 1963 were among my absolute favorites!

Garfield was always my favorite corp, and when I see the Cadet uniform today, (exactly the way I remember it from the 60's), I still lose it. It's quite a paradox that a corps that clings to tradition via the uniform, has thrown tradition out the window during performance. That being said, I was at Pasadena this past August for DCI and I saw the Cadets perform twice.....when they aren't talking....the hornline plays MAGNIFICENTLY. Unbelievable talent!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 61-62/Imperials 63-67

What you say is interesting, indeed, Bill, re uniforms and programs. Their uniforms had taken some quirky (eye-catching, interesting)changes over the last several years, tho, but in '07, they went back to their traditional unis.

And yes, their horn line was just strikingly fantastic this past summer. They also have a sound all their own. I can hear a corps practicing at a distance, and if it's them, I can tell it's them. Each time I saw them perform, in person (3x), in '07, I was thrilled by their flexibilty... that 2007 hornline could do it all, all right... and they did it all too! The corps drill was a treat for the eyes too... quicker than quick... and smoooooth too! Go Cadets!

I so much enjoy watching The Cadets, EACH year -- drum line and color guard too; just wish they'd stop interfering with all their total excellence, as a corps, with that infernal microphonic chatter of theirs.

Nostolgia almost overtakes me, on occasion, as I witness The Cadets in motion, as I think of that "other" maroon and gold magnificent corps of old!

This thread of discussion has taken some interesting turns.

Behind it lies ... where does TRADITION remain in all of this? Is it OK to just "toss out" the past and do NEW stuff?

Bill Blomquist noted the Cadets tradition of uniform but not of performance (show). Same is true of all corps with marching shows. Now more like dancing. What about music that "normal" people can understand/ remember/ enjoy?

We already realize that "community" drum corps is (essentially) GONE!

Nostalgia never comes to mind with the Cadets. Their uniform does provide a link to the past but that's about it.