Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
As if DCI needs another product

Following is from the new onq.org web site:

Coming in the Fall of 2007, Drum Corps International will launch ON Q, and will open an entirely new era of performance education.

ON Q will bring to life products that will unleash maximum performance potential in students and those who teach them.

ON Q will showcase and provide unprecedented access to the world's finest instructional talent and will share boundless expertise from the world's top drum corps.

ON Q will utilize state-of-the-art technologies, live and totally interactive learning experiences, and will celebrate the cultural bond that is the heart and soul of music and performance.

For the very first time, the very best minds in performance education come together with a single, focused initiative, and all in one place—ON Q.

Featured artists from the Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Santa Clara Vanguard, and Phantom Regiment share the creativity and knowledge and passion that have made these corps and their members champions of the highest order.

ON Q will deliver a curriculum truly worthy of the 21st Century performer, and will push the limits of tomorrow's performance education.

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Re: As if DCI needs another product

Not much real info, is there? Me thinks this will be a form of online collaboration. Could be a good thing, I guess, if it's not all about $.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? '70s

As with most things DCI, I don't have a CLUE what they're talking about! Kind of like the descriptions corps give of their shows.

I always want someone to announce their theme for this summer as "It's Just a Marching Show!"

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

I'm just putting together that they're claiming to make better quality available to more, and the fact that they have pulled together names from across the country. Online learning has become very popular. I'm seeing more and more meetings, depositions, all that type of stuff, done online with a pretty good deal of success. The newer versions of collaborative software have made it very easy to have a fully interactive session. The only thing you really can't do is reach out and physically touch someone, and they are working on that! The instructors can listen, see, demonstrate and critique all from the comfort of their own home. That's what I think On Q is going to be all about. I predict that it will work, and work very well, and some people are going to make a lot of money with it.

HUH? Sounds like more BS to me!

But, that is how the world is going .. high tech and flash ...

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

I agree with Dave and Bob's comments.

If I was looking for real advice, I'd go to someone who is engaged in directing one of the major university marching band programs rather than someone who is a "wantabee."

It's all about the money. I'm still waiting for the DVD "The George Hopkins Story."

I think you're missing some salient points. They ARE -- or will be in this case -- the teachers who will be doing this. Not that people other than the head shed won't be able to as well... It really is pretty cool. But I'm a geek. I know it. say it, say it, say it... I'M GEEK AND I'M PROUD!! I am, however, a recovering dork.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? 197? - 1979

It sounds like another ploy to spread the talent found at the DCI div I level corps to the rest of the world. It could only as a means to improve marching programs to a more efficient and more aesthetically pleasing activity. Think about the ramifications.

WHAT?

Doctor Snyder has left Dave in the dust...

When did you get so smart, Jim?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

The ramification is that we'll have a bunch of high school bands with shows like "A Tribute to Pac Man" or "Tea in Chinese Camp."

Jim wrote:

It sounds like another ploy to spread the talent found at the DCI div I level corps to the rest of the world.
----------------------
"talent"?

Isn't that like spreading manure in the garden? I do that every fall in my garden.