Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOW LONG BEFORE DCI AND BOA MERGE?

Wow. After watching the latest DCI "drum corps" show ... and realizing that DCI is moving it's offices to Indianapolis (where BOA has IT'S offices, I wonder how long it will take for these two groups to merge?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: HOW LONG BEFORE DCI AND BOA MERGE?

I think it's inevitable. Fortunately, I also believe the two mediums will remain disjoint (drum corps will not become bands and bands will not become drum corps).

I agree that the merger is inevitable. I disagree that there will be a difference. There is already NO DIFFERENCE between BOA bands and drum corps.

The merger has already occurred.

Hopkins (there he is again!) is on record as saying that there SHOULD be no difference between drum corps and bands, INCLUDING the instrumentation (he's been pushing for woodwinds in corps for several years now). I've actually seen several band shows in the past few years that I've enjoyed MUCH more than modern drum corps shows.

But, as I've said before, it's their ballgame now, just like it was ours then. Whether we agree with it or not, it's what they want it to be. I just wish they'd change the name from drum corps to something else - and if they eventually add woodwinds, I guess they'll have to.

See, it wasn't the Cavaliers' circus that killed drum corps!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

The circus show almost killed the Cavaliers not drum corps. What killed drum corps was Star of Indiana winning DCI in the early 1990s. The started the rapid slide down the slippery slope to what DCI is today.

I now prefer the major college bands to DCI. Used to only like Ohio State because they sounded like a drum corps playing B-flat horns (which is now DCI). The major college band shows are at least entertaining although one can get tired of hearing "Rocky Top" and "Hail to the Victors". Tennessee came out to the Bay Area to lose to UC-Berkeley weekend before last but other than that song, the band was great. I wonder if Michigan is changing their song to "Hail to the Losers."

You won't hear "Hail to the Victors" too much this year, I'm afraid...

John just HAD to remind me of the AWFUL Star of Indiana!

How horrid was that?

Yes, that was the beginning of the end.

1993 Star of Indiana - absolutely the WORST show in the history of drum corps. Luckily, not winning made them made enough to take their ball and go home (to form BLAST).

On second thought, the day that Star of Indiana won DCI should be referred to as "the day that drum corps died." (I will admit to borrowing that from Don McLean's song "American Pie.")