Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Trivia Question

Just a little trivia for everyone out there.I was
looking thru Blessed Sacrement's website last week,
and came across some interesting information.Lets
see how good everyone's memory is.
Question?What was the Madison Scout's called before
the name was changed to the present?

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Re: A Trivia Question

Good question. I thought that they were always called the Madison Explorer Scouts.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

BTW ... the Scouts have an excellent website, which includes a well done history of the Corps (with photos) gnoing all the way back to their beginning in 1938.

See : www.madisonscouts.org

Don't know that one - like Dave, I thought they were always the Madison Explorer Scouts, unless you're talking about going by your sponsor's name, which all corps did until the late 40's (like when we became the Imperials rather than just Norwood Park or Post 312).

Here's another one. What was Santa Clara Vanguard's original name?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Bob, the "Imnperials" name was added to the corps in 1955. Not really sure WHY this happened, except that more corps were doing this and not having just their community name. Prior to this, we were just the NORWOOD PARK DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS. Sponsored by a Legion Post and a VFW Post, but we never took their names.

Even when we moved our "practice home" to the Billy Caldwell AL Post in Chicago, we still kept the name "Norwood Park Imperials". Then, when the corps sponsorship (and practice home) moved to Skokie AL Post, they did take the name "Skokie Imperials".

Actually it would have been smarter to do what the Cavaliers did ...just go by the NAME (Imperials)and then, sponsored by ...

Bob Shreffler:

re: the Santa Clara Vanguard. The only other name I have ever seen connected with them was the "Sparks". But, that wasn't the name of the drum corps .. it was the name of the drum/twirling corps which preceded them in the organization.

So ..... ?

I always heard that the CORPS was the Sunnyvale Sparks for a year or two before wisely changing. Would their history have been the same with that name? Interesting to think about.

Best corps name ever NOT used - The Devastation!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

The answer to this question is "The Four Lakes
Council Boy Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps"
and in the 1954 VFW Nationals they took 2nd
loosing to Blessed Sac by 1.3,how long they kept
that name until it was changed I'm not sure.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Yes, the "Four Lakes Council" Scouts. I remember that now. I think they kept that name into the 1960s because I remember hearing that at contests during that period.

I believe that the Four lakes Council is, however, just the Madison area .. so it amounts to saying the "Madison Scouts"!