Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOLY NAME/ GARFIELD CADETS REQUEST

A good friend of mine is part of the alumni team working with the Cadet alumni and website activities. He asked me to craft a (short) piece for the HISTORY portion of their website, describing the positive social and competitive relationships that our corps had with the Cadets .. especially focusing on PERSONAL relationships formed over the years.

The Cadets had a long-standing tradition of reaching out and connecting on a personal level with many of their competitors. Many of these valued corps-to-corps relationships have faded away as the drum corps activity has changed and personal interactions become more difficult; but many live on to this day in fond memory and lifelong friendships.

For example, I know that our good friend RICK MAASS was a close friend of many Cadet instructors and management. I remember meeting many Cadets over the years that I marched. (Note that, for most of their history, the Cadets weren't the "talking Cadets", but were a highly respected and VERY traditional drum corps ... and really GOOD!)

If you'd like to contribute your personal memories to me for this piece, it would be a big help. If you have any special photos which fit this theme, feel free to send them too. Questions? Give me a shout.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: HOLY NAME/ GARFIELD CADETS REQUEST

One nice memory I have of them is when they came to
Chicago to compete in a couple of contest's here.
That was considered a very big event,especially a
top eastern corps like the Garfield Cadets.It added
that much more to it.

If I'm not mistaken i think it was in 1961 when they
were invited to the Cavalier show at Main East High
School and also to the contest in Woodstock.I
remember they was a lot of anticipation on my part
of seening them up close on the field and competing
against them locally.It was great to be part of
that.

That period was still part of when the Eastern Corps
had this image,like being in two different worlds.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Thanks, Rich. Yes, in those days there WAS a big difference between eastern and midwest corps.

Thanks to a number of alums for their inputs.

The NP history feature has been written and submitted, with a few selected photos to accompany the article.

This will appear on the Cadets website sometime in late November (projected). This will be in the "History" portion of their website ... check it out at: www.theholynamecadets.org