Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norwood Park Historical Society (NPHS)

When we (mostly Wayne Mounsey!) established an exhibit for the Corps at the NPHS (Norwood Park Historical Society), it was really only a temporary exhibit. Most of the materials were kept in the archives for use on request.

That was OK for then. But we really wanted to get a PERMANMENT, public display at their site.

Remember too, that the NPHS is a small site with not a lot of space to handle all the requested exhibits. Also, this is a volunteer effort.

But, Wayne Mounsey has been talking with their Directors and staff to get a permanent exhibit. We have some additional materials to give them, if they agree to have a permanent public display.

We will be giving you all more details soon and asking for your support .. calling and / or writing the NPHS regarding this issue.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: Norwood Park Historical Society (NPHS)

October 21, 2007

Dear Imperials alum:

Wayne Mounsey has been working to persuade the Norwood Park Historical Society to move our Corps exhibit (at least part of it) from their archives to a permanent, public display. We know that they have limited space for such permanent displays, but we feel that we have earned it. Our display could easily fit into a few feet in a corner space.

Your support by contacting them by mail or phone would be helpful. This is especially true for alums who currently reside in Norwood Park!

See information below. (Their phone number is: 773-631-4633.)

Thanks for your help.
Dave Borck
-----------------------------------------------------
Suggested letter to NPHS

Date

To: Ms Judy Rustmeyer, President
Norwood Park Historical Society
5624 N. Newark Ave.
Chicago, IL 60631

Dear Ms. Rustmeyer:

I am a former marching member of the Norwood Park Imperials Drum and Bugle Corps. Our corps was a vital part of the Norwood Park community for over 40 years and we really enjoyed representing the community when we appeared around the country. We also appeared in many local events, especially the annual Memorial Day parade in Norwood Park.

We had hundreds of young people from the area passing through our ranks in those 40 years; and a number of us (and our parents) still live in Norwood Park.

We were proud to have an excellent dedication ceremony in 2004, where we presented some materials to the Historical Society about the Corps. I am very disappointed that the NPHS has chosen to NOT have a permanent display in its public area regarding the Corps. I encourage you to explore setting up a small, permanent display about the Corps. Brief history, some pictures, some items of memorabilia, etc. Other items could be kept in your archives for use on request.

Such an exhibit would let new Norwood Park residents learn about the Corps. It would also be useful for our alumni who visit the area.

Please review this with the Historical Society Board and consider setting up such an exhibit. For further information, contact our local representative: Wayne Mounsey: 743 E. Parkview Ct., Roselle, IL 60172 (630-893-2451)

Sincerely,

Name
address
-----------------------------------

Thanks for your help!

My wife and I have known the Rustemeyers for a very
long time,in fact they live almost directly in back
of us here in good old Norwood Park.Judy in fact
spends time at the yarn shop that my wife and I own
on Nina Ave across the street from the Norwood Park
Home for the elderly.Maybe we can do something on
our end.I'll talk to my wife about it.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Rich .. great idea! Keep me posted! We ALL need to work on this!

Good responses! John Donnelly also responded as he has some good contacts at the NPHS! Thanks John!

More letters and calls from Imperials alums will surely help with this.

John Donnelly is out there?! Post, John - or at least drop me an email line. I'd love to know what's up with you and Joey.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Ditto on John and Joe, please.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare

What years were you a Corps member? '70s