Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SUNBURST/ CIRCLE

One of the arguments that we have had with various drum corps people is ... who REALLY started the sunburst/ circle drill?

I KNOW that Norwood had it in 1958, via Rick Maass, because I marched in that corps and was a part of that drill.

Some people give credit to the Troopers .. but THEY came along with that much later, in the mid-1960s. Of course, they were a much more popular corps and also won Nationals in that period!

QUESTION: Does anyone have a picture of Norwood doing the sunburst which they could send to me (in a .jpeg file format)?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: SUNBURST/ CIRCLE

I hope someone comes up with it. Would be an interesting posting for the corpsrep site.

Yes, a good (high view) shot of the "sunburst" drill would be useful for MANY reasons!

I sent a picture of the sunburst(open circle) at NewOrleans prelims(67) to the webmaster a couple years ago, perhaps it's still in its file.

Thanks, Ralph! I'll follow up.

Actually, it would be BEST to have a picture from 1968 or 1959 .... BEFORE the Troopers copied it!

I have pictures of the 1965 drill includes circle shots but I would have to find them. I will try to track them down.

What did you do in the Corps? Guide-on, flag, RIFLE!!

What years were you a Corps member? 1961-1965

I uploaded a small portion of the video that Lenny Szulc provided from his 8mm 1965 films. I superimposed Moonlove to our circle move due to audio continuity, but at least most folks will get the idea. This is from American Legion State prelims. Here is the Youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQWR34lkNXw
copy and paste into your favorite browser.

What did you do in the Corps? contra

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-1966

This is all good, but what I need is something from 1958 or 1959 .....