Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Digs at other corps

This topic comes from the previous discussion about politeness in drum corps. During my 11 years (1970-80), corps were pretty good - in the public eye. But stuff went on that the public DIDN'T see; sometimes in good fun, sometimes not.

Anyone remember anything from their time?

In 1973, in New Orleans (SO many great stories from that city...), someone made a full mannequin of Belleville (their new uniforms, with the chrome helmets) and had it hanging by the pool at our motel. I kept the head for many years after that, but I'm not sure how I ended up with it.

In 1974, the Guardsmen put a sign on one of their bass drums making a derogatory remark about the Cavaliers during a parade (I think in McHenry). When we heard of it, one of our members chased the kid into the gym. It looked like they were alone, until the rest of the corps came out from under the bleachers. I've never seen anyone so scared. But we let him off with a warning.

In 1975, we were sharing a locker room with Phantom Regiment. Someone bought a live lobster at the local grocery store and threw it in the showers when the Phantom guys were in there (we kept the rubberbands on the claws).

And we used to count how many guys in other horn lines were holding their instruments with the middle finger extended as they passed us at retreats.

OK, as always I have more, but it's YOUR turn now. Tell us about relations between Norwood and other corps.

And someone needs to explain to me why we hated the corps that wore all red uniforms (I can't even remember their names).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Re: Digs at other corps

I don't remember any of this going on when I was in the corps ...except for singing "funny songs" about other corps while on the bus.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Dave,

Maybe you were on the wrong bus...

Come on, people - where are you all?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73, 78-79

Bob,

That corps in all red were the Stardusters (LA). I remember you coming aboard our bus in Houston TX and asking everyone to "leave the killer tomatoes alone". It got a good laugh at the time.

Whatever it was, it was probably at a national event. Maybe VFW...
Maybe 1978?

What did you do in the Corps? 2nd Sop

What years were you a Corps member? 1979

I do remember singing songs (with horrible, expletive lyrics) about the Guardsmen and Cavaliers that were probably only part of the repertoire found on the girls' bus. As girls in the corps, we disliked most corps from Illinois, but thought the grass was greener on the other side of the state line (e.g., WI - Madison, Racine). Did distance cause our hearts to grow more fondly?

What did you do in the Corps? Fr. Horn, xylophone, flag

What years were you a Corps member? 1972-1977

The best dig at another corps that I remember occurred in Wilmont Wisconsin in 1966. Between the parade and the evening show a number of the members of the brassline bought kazoos at the adjacent county fair. When they came back to the school were we were dressing they lined up and played the Cavaliers repitore on their kazoos. I remember Bill Blomquist imitating the Cavaliers soprano soloist perfectly and he actually sounded better on the kazoo than the Cavie usually did on his bugle. It was hilarous.

The Cavaliers weren't at that show but some of the other corps present got a good laugh and I recollect that a few Cavie alumni (friends of our color guard) were present. We also needed a good laugh that weekend. Although we placed first in two of the three shows that weekend, we'd had a number of off the field problems--perhaps the worst weekend of any time I was in the corps. I personnally believe the kazoo concert relieved a lot of the tension.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-66 (Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66)

Yes, the "kazoo concert" was great. A wonderful instrument!

Very fitting for Cavalier music too!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963