Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IMPERIALS "HALL OF FAME"?

Well, we don't have a real "Hall of Fame" and this isn't an attempt to start one ...

BUT, it would be fun to hear alums inputs about some areas:

1. Most memorable corps leader (corps manager, corps President)

2. Most memorable instructor

3. Most memorable corps member (alum)

Give this some thought and let's hear from you!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: IMPERIALS "HALL OF FAME"?

OK, here are MY thoughts on this (realizing that there are MANY people who have worked hard for the corps over many years):

Memorable leaders: Willie Widmayer, Rick Maass, Frank Minor (who led the corps through some tough years)

Memorable instructors: Rick Maass!; Dick Brown (a great drum instructor and mentor), Brian Pennington (who brought the corps "modern" arrangements!)

Others: Frank Grana (Sr) who worked hard for many years to maintain our corps vehicles. Caroline Grana, who spent many years helping the corps, especially as corps chaperone.

Memorable alums: Wayne Mounsey (member from 1938 to 1950) and a hard working alum for the corps!

Let's hear some more from you!

Dave,

Frank Minor was President of the corps in 1965 and 1966. Great President but don't get you comment about those two years as being tough years. We won about six or seven contests each of those years and were very competitive--the strongest two years in my time with the organization. We had Rick as Manager, Pennington, Strauts, Hank Grana, and Czapinski as instructors and we didn't seem to be hurting for finances. Also bought a new set of horns right after he became President. I'd say that Mr Minor and Rick worked together better than any other President/Manager combination.

There were some adventures off the field like the incident with some street gang kids in New York 1965 and the "strike" before the parade at Wilmont in 1966. However, those were more issues that Rick had to deal with.

John

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-66 (Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66)

Dave,

Don't have anything to add to your comments on leaders or instructors--Maass, Minor, Pennington and Mr and Mrs Grana. Although we might just say the entire Grana Family as Hank was a great M&M instructor and Frank Jr did a lot to help out in 1965 and 1966.

For memorable members I'd add Sam Tessitore. Sam was a first baritone my first year 1962 and drum major in 1963. I also recollect he was personnel manager in 1964 and 1965 (Rick might of had the title corps director). Sam was a true leader--if Norwood was a football or baseball team, he'd be the team captian. Roman Blenski was also in that category--also a first baritone. Coming up to the A corps as a 14 year old, it made it easier to have two 19 to 20 year olds who were interested in how things were going.

I'll also add your brother Bruce.

John, actually my comment about "tough years" related mostly to the later part of 1964 and early 1965 .. when Frank Minor (along with Rick and others) had to correct the mistakes of the past and try to build a new organization.

Your comments about others are valid too!

Sam Tessitore was a big help, but our corps management never did find a way to successfully assimilate the new members from the West Side. We ended up with severe personnel problems later because of that failure.

Dave,

Joe Spryzak was President from fall of 1963 to the fall of 1964. I'd give him credit for making Rick the corps manager and working on correcting things. The management brought in Pennington just before the start of the 1964 season. I believe we need to credit Joe Spryzak and the Board (which included Frank Minor) for dealing with that transition. Also Joe was involved with the Board for a number of years prior and maybe after his tenure as President.

In writing this response, I checked your list on the public part of the website and noted that it has Rick Maass as being corps manager in 1967. My recollection is that Rick wasn't manager in 1967. I left the corps in April 1967 and remember turning in my equipment to Joe Spryzak. Did Joe become corps manager for the year after Rick left?

Also, I think some of the off-the field issues in 1965 and 1966 occurred because most of the corps members were 17 and 18 years old and younger. We didn't have many 20 year olds (old guys) in the corps who had been in Norwood for a long time. The brass line didn't have people like Sam Tessitore, Roman Blenski, Steve Pawela, Bart Blum, Ron Biver, Frank Grana and Denny Shannon, etc. who'd been around for a long time when I came up to the Imperials from the Cadets. That is a collective group of memorable and talented individuals. Often wonder how the corps of their era would have done with Pennington's arrangements.

Yes, Joe Spryzak was another fine Corps President. During those years, we had a lot of fine and hard working people on the Corps Board of Directors.

I think you are right that Rick left as Corps Manager after 1966. I don't know if anyone took that position in 1967.

I, believe, Joe Leske was Corps Manager in 67 and 68 if memory serves correct

I believe Larry correct. Joe was managing the Cadets in 1965 and 1966. Glenn Wills had been active with Cadets management. In fact most of the corps Presidents and Board Members from 1964 through the late 60s have kids who came up throught the Cadets