Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BEST STADIUM FOR LISTENING TO DRUM CORPS?

Jim Snyder made some observations about the sound in some of the "newer" stadia (Superdome, Montral Olympic Stadium, etc).

Since drum corps is a MUSICAL activity (yes, I know they also move about on the field), it would be important to properly HEAR the music.

I judged drum corps for many years and found some really horrible places .. bad echos, poor sound projection, etc. Sometimes it was almost impossible to properly hear the musical programs!

There were some good places too. Warhawk stadium in Whitewater, Wisconsin was great. Indiana State University in Terre Haute had a fine stadium for sound. Memorial Stadium at Champaign is OK unless you are in the upper deck!

What stadiums have you been in where the SOUND characteristics were GOOD for drum corps?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Re: BEST STADIUM FOR LISTENING TO DRUM CORPS?

Leland Stanford Junior University Stadium in Palo Alto, CA. Site of last summers DCI West. Diablo Valley Junior College, Concord, PA. Old Franklin Field at University of PA in Philadelphia.

I've been to shows at Warhawk. Compares to Diablo Valley.

Indoor facilities are like being in the High School Gym or the Old North Avenue Armory in Chicago where we used to practice.

I thought the sound was good in Legion Field in Birmingham, AL in 1980, and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia wasn't bad.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

I remember judging 2 All American contests in Florida. Very small corps, very small lines. The first show was at a high school. The second at the Orange Bowl. The rank of the lines depended on how many people you had. It turned out that the postions reversed themselves (1st one night, last the next). At the Orange Bowl, not only did the members look like ants, you would be lucky to hear them if they only had 1 or 2 snares. The larger and sloppier lines did better in the caverous Orange Bowl. You couldn't hear how bad they were, but you could hear them. The day before at the high school, they were way too loud and pathetic.

Most unusual set of back-to-back contests I ever judged. The critique was a treat.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1969

The "old" Soldier Field in Chicago was pretty good. Haven't been in the revamped stadium yet.

Just remembered two more OLD stadiums which were really good for sound... Ebbets Field in Brooklyn and Tiger Stadium in Detroit. But, these were the "old style" parks, where you were closer to the field and the structures weren't massive.