Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new book: BUILDING THE GREEN MACHINE

Have you seen the book that just came out, about the history of The Cavaliers, and much more? The title is BUILDING THE GREEN MACHINE. Cavaliers founder and still president, Don Warren, tells tale after tale after tale here. The author is Colt Foutz. I just received my copy in the mail. Don Warren penned me a very nice, short message inside, and Colt signed it too. It is my Christmas present from myself. See it yet, ya'll?

Re: new book: BUILDING THE GREEN MACHINE

I am sure that Don Warren has MANY very interesting stories to tell! He is a fine man!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

I received mine as well, but haven't had a chance to start it yet. I just looked to see if I am in any of the pictures (alas, I'm not). Maybe it will be my Christmas vacation reading.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

In the index, I look up the Norwood Park Imperials. They are spoken of often, in the book. I quickly read a few of the passages talking about our favorite maroon and gold. Interesting. Fun reading. Don (with the writing of the author) talks about everyday life with his corps... at his house, on tour, and so on. He talks about semi-stealing one of the Imperials too... not blatantly, of course. :- ) That's all I've checked out, tho, so far... just some of the Imperials stuff. Lots of wonderful b & w photos in the book, too. I'm glad I have it.

Bob, just take a couple green crayons and color yourself in don't forget the hair.

What did you do in the Corps? Stand

What years were you a Corps member? 1978 and 1979

NP alums should remember that Don Warren had a daughter who marched in our corps!

That must have been an unusual experience for the Warren family!

Interesting but no one has mentioned how to get this book, how much it costs or whether or not the proceeds benefit the Cavaliers. Who is the publisher?

The title reminds me of something Al Gore might have written--I haven't checked Amazon.com site but I think there is a book on sustainable ("green") construction and architecture with the same title.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? 1959-66 (Cadets 59-61 Imperials 62-66)

John Anderson:

Building the Green Machine is the biography of corps founder Don Warren and a comprehensive history of the Cavaliers. Colt Foutz, a former reporter and columnist at the Naperville (Ill.) Sun, spent two years interviewing Warren and 200 current and former Cavaliers, as well as fans, family, volunteers and drum corps leaders, to produce a decade-by-decade look at the brotherhood and musicianship that have sparked the corps to twenty national and world championships since 1948.

The book is available on the Cavaliers website (www.cavaliers.org) and costs $30.

Read the last sentence in the book, a very recent quote from Don Warren, about what he would do, today, if he had lotsa money. Omygosh, is it ever cool! (page 450-something)

Bill, why not just TELL us ... for those who don't need to spend $30 to get the answer!

Bill,

Don't know if you're aware of this or not, but the Louise Bardos and Dick Snyder mentioned in the early parts of the corps history are the parents of our own Dr. Jim Snyder, soprano extraordinaire and occasional website poster, as well as his many and various brothers and sisters who marched.

I'm in the book (kind of)! On page 162 there's a picture of Jim Warren (Don's son, who I marched with but NEVER knew was adopted until I read it in the book), and you can see the 1976 snare line behind him. I'm the second from the left (Jim's head is partially blocking me, but I know it's me!).

Bill, I'll gladly sign your copy if you send it to me...

"If I won $125 million, besides taking good care of my family, I'd go back to my second childhood and start another drum corps. I'd love it. Go to the schools and get kids interested in learning to play drums or bulgles. I'd sponsor it myself. Oh, yeah, I would have so much fun." p. 426 (the last words of the body of the book), qutoing Don Warren.

Bob, what's your mailing address? Bill