Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Comp Guard Music

This has been stumping me for about a week and I cannot think of the answer...

For those of us who were in Comp Guard (now known as Winter Guard) -

We marched to some very cool music with Toni O & Robinette.... In particular, there was a song heavy on horns that was done by a locally famous group that did not have a big national following... Really great ending - da, da, dada, dada. Excuse that horrible explantion! Other guards would come up and tell us how great our music was, part of that same year was Emerson Lake & Palmers "Hoe Down", that is what we did "posting" to, brings both a smile and a scare!!!!

Holiday Greetings to all and thanks in advance for the answer.

Penny

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Re: Comp Guard Music

What a good question. Can't remember much any more. Sure hope someone can.

Re: Comp Guard Music - GOT IT!!!!!!

I HAVE IT!!!!!!

It is called "Get it On" by Chase. Toni O had a friend who did amazing re-mix work and took out all the lyrics, so we only the used the incredible instrumental portions. They do not have it on ITUNES but they do on Amazon, give it a listen fellow Imperial Comp Guard girls and you should be transported back to Saturdays and Sundays spent competig on gym floors all over the Midwest. I can still see Mr. Underwood patiently waiting and selling Imperial buttons, stickers... at the guard tables. Good times!!!!!%20void(0);

Clearly I did not know how to use the smiley faces in the above reply... I might have it now -

Wow, I don't remember ever having music for Winter Guard, just the military sounds of marching and sergeant giving commands.I marched in the National Winning Guard of 1962, Minneapolis. Early 1960's brought in dancing on the field for the guards, we did the twist while in concert formation. That was the beginning of all the dancing seen today.

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1966

So we have no one to blame but ourselves?!

And Belleville played "Get It On" in the early 70's, including 73 when they made DCI finals.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, yes, so0metimes new innovations take on a life of their own! What started as a simple way to enhance the musical show visually took on a new life. Now, the priorities have shifted! Go figure!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Vicki, Bob & Dave,

Yes, the dancing may have started slow but it sure took off!!! And being a guard member that left the Imperials in 1978 to pursue a DCI patch with the Guardsmen , I can say that all that dancing is HARD!!!

I remember the Des Plaines Vanguard's show in the early 70's (?) to West Side Story and can still see their rifle line dancing with hornplayers. They were incredibly creative and trend-setting in the guard department. The Robinette that I mentioned as an instructor in the previous post was a Vanguard before becoming an Imperial. She had incredible field presence as a guard person!!

Robinette also wrote a column for Drum Corps Digest (Happenin' Set, I think it was called). And she was dating Charles Guider, the cymbal player killed in the bus crash in 1970.

Anybody know whatever happened to her?

Robinette was marching with the Chicago Royal Airs in 2006. She was on the rifle line in 05 as well. Had a chance to have lunch with her. She is still living in the chicagoland area.

What did you do in the Corps? guard

What years were you a Corps member? 74-80

Toni O'Kelly wrote Happenin Set. I saw Robinett at the reunion. someone took pictures and they are posted on her web site for the drum corps. The Des Planes Vanguard's web site has the link to her web site with pictures of members of the 70's that were at the reunion. Giles Yellow Jackets is the web site.

Robinette Ralston Ciolino is also listed on our
NP e-mail list:
robinetteciolino@yahoo.com

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Donna,

You're right! How did I confuse the two?

Which one later taught Norwood's guard?

Bob,

They both taught our guard, that's when we had the awesome comp guard music!
They were good instructors and fun to be with, good times.

Happy 08!

No wonder I confused them, then. I remember Toni used to mention Norwood a LOT in her column. And the summer guard was pretty good at that time - maybe the only thing that was...