Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1-year anniversary

Today is the one-year anniversary of Shary's stroke. She is calling it her "re-birth day". While it will be an emotional day, it will also be a positive one.

We are still waiting for her left arm and hand to get going, but everything else is great. She walks our dog to the end of the block and back two or three times each day, and yesterday we actually went to several stores and dinner and NEVER used the wheelchair. Her speech is fine, although maybe a third or fourth lower than before, and her thinking is very clear, if not as quick as before, which simply means that I can keep up with her now!

She wrote a long letter to her brain surgeon yesterday that listed all of the things she has accomplished since the stroke, and it was pretty impressive. Over the holidays we spent two days at Disney (but in the wheelchair mostly because of speed and crowds), but she ordered most of our presents online. She is also now paying my Dad's bills (because of his Alzheimer's) and arranging for his in-home care, all from Orlando, so the brain is working fine. It was a wonderful holiday, with only a few reminders of the stroke.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult year. It has been an incredible journey, and while I wouldn't want to repeat it, I don't think I would trade the discoveries we've made either.

Happy New Year, everyone!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: 1-year anniversary

Time flies! Great news Bob, she is definitely a fighter! It's always good to hear news of someone getting better and better. Happy New Years to you and your family!

What did you do in the Corps? Drums

What years were you a Corps member? 75-76 in cadets, 77 to 83 A Corp

Wow! A whole year .. and a LONG one for you guys. But, great news!

Best to you for 2008!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

Bob its nice to hear all the good news about your
wife's recovery and the progress she has made since
last year,its just great.

What did you do in the Corps? FrenchHorn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Bob, yes it was great when your father said he was sure he is the one year anniversary I'm very happy for you and the two caregivers that Shary lined up for your father are just great they talked to him clean the house he just loves all the attention. When both of you came up to Joliet and we saw Shary she looked and talked great it was a wonderful dinner you have to come back up here and do it again.

What did you do in the Corps? Marched

What years were you a Corps member? 1978 and 1979

Bob,

Congratulations to you & Sharry on her rebirth! It's obvious that the two of you together are a force to be reckoned with; keep up the good work man!

Penny

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Bob - Sorry about mispelling Shary's name, I believe I have recently spelled it three ways! The thoughts are still sincere though!

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Penny,

Don't worry about it - the thoughts are more important. Besides, living with SHREFFLER all my life, I don't even notice misspelled names anymore!

You think SHREFFLER is tough? My wife's maiden name was GRUETZMACHER! And she has a friend whhose married name is GROTELUESCHEN! (Both are very German).

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Wasn't that the brand name of the truck?

Bob, Jim Eiden told us in an earlier post that the brand name of the corps truck (the white whale) was ... Gerstenschlager!

Never heard of that!

I believe the corps received the truck as a donation from the Wurlitzer (juke box) firm!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63