Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jeff Fiedler resigns as Cavaliers director

Jeff Fiedler has resigned as director of the Cavaliers. Jeff has been with the corps non-stop since joining the Cadets in 1973, and served as drum major in 79-80 before joining the instructional staff. This came as a surprise to EVERYONE after 35 years, especially since this is the corps' 60th anniversary. Bruno Zacala has been named to replace him.

And I know this is Norwood's website, but I thought this might be of interest to those multi-corps people (like myself) and anyone who still follows DCI.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Jeff Fiedler resigns as Cavaliers director

Well, Bob, it is still interesting CORPS news, especially for NP alums who "lived with" the Cavaliers for so many years!

Wonder WHY he he left .. hope it isn't for health reasons.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-1963

The letter cites burnout. I guess after 35 years, he's entitled to that! Come to think of it, that's what I spent on a marching field, between corps member, instructor, band director and instructor (1970-2004). What was I thinking?

I can believe BURNOUT!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I don't know - I hope he isn't sick. He IS Mr. Cavalier, he is what drove their rebirth & a really good guy. All the best to him.

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

I have a winterguard with Midwest Colorguard. The Cavaliers were signed up to have a drumline with the circuit and host a show this year in march. Wonder if that will happen now............

What did you do in the Corps? drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 81-82

I doubt anything will change much. They have appointed Bruno Zacala as the new director, and he's been Jeff's assistant and guard instructor for several years, so I would imagine things will continue on pretty much as before, especially given the suddenness of the change.

And yes, Jeff is a great guy. He is pretty much responsible for the rebirth of the corps in the late 80s to today. I marched with Jeff for two years, and also went to Northwestern with him.

I'd be more interested in hearing that George Hopkin's resigned from the Cadets.

Out of curiosity I read the DCI article on this resignation. Sounds like the new director of the Cavaliers will be based in Pennsylvania. Are we maybe looking at the Allentown Cavaliers?

John, THAT would be very interesting!

But, I thjink it is just that the new man simply lives and works there. After all, you can be a MEMBER of any corps and live anywhere ... and most of the staff and leaders are former members. Lots of commuting! A strange world.

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I'm really curious now as to how the Cavaliers operate. Is their director paid? Or does he have a real job and the Cavaliers pay expenses?

I know that the Blue Devils Director is a salaried employee who's income appears to be supplemented by other duties in their parent organization (they're into some pseudo educational activities). This seems to be the Cadet's operating mode as well.

So what's the story with the Cavaliers?

Jeff became a full-time, salaried employee of the corps last year. Until that time, the director had always been a volunteer position - dating back to 1948! And it looks like it will go back to that way with Bruno, who is a school administrator.