Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
70s pictures

Donna Larsen Gatlin just sent me a CD with LOTS of pictures from the early 70s (and some from 69) - both the Cadets and the Imperials. They are FANTASTIC! She has also sent them to the webmaster, and hopefully they will be up on the website soon.

One of the things that struck me was the big, clunky original triple tenors we carried! And those ugly red timpani. In fact, in 73 the snares didn't match the tenors, the bass drums were two different color schemes, and the timps were flat red. The usual money problems...

But it reminded me again of how nice that uniform was. And how much better the Cadet uniforms were in 71, when we went to the new white blouses instead of the old yellow shirts.

You will enjoy them once they're on the site!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: 70s pictures

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I only got to see the corps occasionally when I was judging. It will be interesting to see the uniform changes.

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 60-69

yes, the pictures would be nice to see.

But, I DID judge the corps in the 70s (they probably hated that). I thought their uniforms were "OK", but way below the style and class of the 1960s battle jackets.

Opinion!

It would also be nice to have more 1970s alums involved in the alumni forum and helping with the website!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

I'd Really like to see those pics. If I recall correctly the Battle Jackets were worn thru (74), possibly thru (75).

And maybe Bob, can help with this. I think one of our old Alums, was very instrumental in the corps getting the new unis. Me thinks Mike Embry thought it was a good idea to look like Santa Clara.

Larry,

I wasn't around when the uniform change was made. My guess is that it had as much to do with money as style - they were certainly cheaper to buy and especially to maintain than a battle jacket, but not NEARLY as cool to wear.

But at least by that time all the drums were the same color again! And the late 70s uniforms were more comfortable to wear in the heat - they allowed for more air circulation.

Plus, it was a LOT more fun to throw an Aussie hat at the end of the show than it would have been to throw a shako...

The corp switched out of the battle jackets in the middle of the 76. It was the 50th anniversary of the corps. I might still have the yearbook from that year it was made to celebrate the 50 year anniversary. I am sure of this they didn't have a jacket that fit me. I wore the cadet uniform when marching with them. The cadets also got new uniform in 1974.

What did you do in the Corps? guard

What years were you a Corps member? 74-80

All I can remember is we were at practice at Sargent Welch and the announcement was made that the corp was folding. After that we were able to purchase our uniforms. That is how I have my battle jacket.

Donna,

What year was that? I remember in 1974 hearing that the corps was folding early in the year, but they made it to the field and into finals at VFW Nationals in Chicago. I remember because people were saying it was the only corps in history to do those two things in the same year! But someone else said the uniform change was two years later, in 1976.

I'm thinking it was 75. Some of us went to Spirit of 76 in the middle of the season.

I find the threads from the '70's as interesting as those when I marched in the '60's. We should see more of those as well as those from the '50's.

John, I agree 100%. It would be great to get more alums from the 1970s and the 1950s to open up, participate and share information from those eras with us!

John,

I think it's important that all eras be represented - it gives some continuity to the Norwood story. I don't remember much alumni involvement when I was with Norwood, other than you and Mike Maggio who were instructors. And I learned so much from you guys (and staying at your house a couple of times). It made me appreciate what came before my time in the corps, and made me realize that whatever I did was laying a foundation for those that would come after me. Maybe if that had been stronger, the corps would still be around today - or at least might have lasted longer. When you look at the Cavaliers and the Cadets, that's one of the reason they ARE still around and competitive. Speaking from personal experience, the Cavaliers have ALWAYS been strong in passing down the history of the corps to the new members, and returning alumni are ALWAYS introduced and made to feel very welcome.

I know money was the root of the corps' demise, along with management troubles (which were also connected to money, or the lack thereof), but a stronger alumni involvement might have made a difference.

Anyway, whatever effect it had on the actual corps, we can make it different here on the website to connect the decades and sustain the Norwood name, if not the organization itself.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures.It's
always nice to see Norwood from different time
periods and the changes they have gone through
over the years.

In my opinion the Battle Jackets were the best
of all the uniforms Norwood wore.

What did you do in the Corps? FrenchHorn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

The corps folded in 1974 while my dad was president of the booster club. Jack McNulty made the dreaded decision. I remember I cried all the way home and for the rest of the evening. It wasn't even a month later and we were back in business. Whew!

I think we bought new uniforms in two-year increments. 1974 for some (not drums because they already had switched to silk shirts) and 1975 for others. We tried merging with Villa Park at that same time because they were also maroon and gold.

Al Hauscheer marched (and passed out) during a parade with the full sized tympani. I'll never forget my mom trying to help him after he went down. I don't remember where or when that happened, but I think 1974 was the last year we marched with full tympani. 1974 was the first year we had xylophone and bells.

What did you do in the Corps? Fr. Horn, Xylophone, Flag

What years were you a Corps member? 1972 - 1977

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted. I'm home sick today and decided to catch up with the Imperial alums.

I dug out my photo album from my years with Imperials. 1976 - my first year in the cadets and the older siblings went up to the A corps. I have pictures from a memorial day parade of me in my cadet uniform and brother Joe in a battle jacket. I also have a couple from I think the same summer of the A corps in the white tunic/maroon sash & aussies.

I'll have to get these pictures scanned and to some people to share.

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

Great! If any pictures get scanned, also send them to our webmaster to be added to the website.

I don't remember a corps from Villa Park w/maroon and gold. The Franklin Park Colonels were blue and gold. I taught them about that time. I think they were folding about the same time and we encouraged the members to go to Norwood although most that joined another corps went to the Vaqueroes. Was the second coming of the Vaqueros from Villa Park???? The original was Aurora.

John, I think the Vaqueros of that time period were from Elmhurst. They were actually pretty good too.

We had some Franklin Park members join in 1972 - Bob Wolensa and Steve (can't remember the last name) were in the tenor line with Al Hausheer. Bob stayed around for several years if I remember correctly.

And yes, the Vaqueros were pretty good. We were still competing with them - and trading placements - in 78 and 79.

The Regal Valiants were from Villa Park.

Bob
It was Steve Bucella and Bob Walense. I couldn't remember either, but my trusty trunk of memories had the printed program from the 1973 banquet.

OK, the wait is over!!

Donna's photos have been enhanced, cropped and loaded to the web site photo albums. Look in the 1970s album and the Cadets album.

Anybody else have some decent photos to share?

Larry

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Good to see the photo album from the 70s filled in and some additional Cadets pictures.

I did notice that the battle jackets and shakos were a different style than the 1962-67 era. Most notable is the crown doesn't seem to be on the uniform and the shakos are somewhat similar to some college bands--although I think the Royal Airs wore a similar style.

Larry - THANK YOU!!! We appreciate all of your efforts.

And yes, the crown was missing from the second battle jacket, which made it look a little plainer to my eye. And the shako wasn't flat on top - it was scooped. Again, I prefer the flat style, but wasn't crazy about the pearl look of the older ones.

Great to see the new pictures! They add to the historical coverage of the website! Lots of familiar faces there too.

John, yes, the corps DID "tinker" with the uniform in those days. They added some maroon panels to the back of the jackets and changed the shakos to the "sloped" form, (like the RAs). I didn't like either change, personally.

Did you also notice the very SHORT skirts the guard members wore!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

Actually Keith Normandin sent me a handful of similar pictures from the 1970s and one or two for the 1980s when we did the album. I noted the short skirts then. As I recollect the mini-skirt was in vogue in the late 60s and early 70s so the corps color guard skirts are a fashion statement of the times.

I have checked but I'd bet that the guys in the corps have long sideburns or mutton chops and they had longer hair which was another late 60s and 70s thing.

RICK WYATT HERE. HOPE SOME OF YOU REMEMBER ME.
A BIG THANKS TO DONNA FOR GETTING THE 70S PICTURES POSTED. THEY BROUGHT BACK GREAT MEMORIES FROM A LONG TIME AGO. SEE YOU ALL AGAIN SOON.

What did you do in the Corps? DRUMMER

What years were you a Corps member? 67-73

Hegwisch Raiders were another corps "merged" with Imperials in 74 or 75 and I believe they were the ones that had maroon and gold colors.

Rick Wyatt! Oh, my goodness. Great to see another drummer out here! Keep coming back, and send me your recollections from your time in the corps.

All you other 70s Imperials who have been "lurking" but staying silent - it's your time to come out of hiding too!

Jim Fetty sent me some pictures that I have encouraged him to send to Larry. They are from the period right after Donna's pictures - that transition period where the corps' existence was always in doubt, and when the Cadets came to the rescue (again), both membership and management. I think they are an important addition, and I hope Jim will send them in.

I always thought that was one of the neatest things about the late 70s Imperials. So many of them had been together for so long, in both the Cadets and the A corps, that there was a bond that many smaller corps didn't have. It was fun to return in 78 and march with people who I had marched with in the Cadets seven or eight years earlier (Snyders, Lambesis, Gills, etc.).

Larsen,

The photos are fantastic!!! Okay, the Last Day in New Orleans one - that is Adam, Soney, Tom Flowers and what was the horn instructors name? What a FUN blast from uthe past! All of my corps stuff got "drowned" at my parents house in the big Fall Flood of 1987. That Norwood Park bungalow flooded on a regular basis, what a bummer. All the photos, banquet programs (complete with sayings), all the old drum corps show program/ad books, just tons of stuff important to a teenage girl...

Thank you so much to Donna for sharing and Larry for manipulating them through cyber space.

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Rich Armstrong? And I had forgotten about Flowers. He was a trip (literally, most of the time...). Came over to help out from the Vanguard (Des Plaines, NOT Santa Clara for you young folk) when they pretty much went belly up in 73 after making finals in 72.

Yes, Rich Armstrong was a brass instructor for the corps. A great guy too. Died last year unfortunately.

Great to see the information coming from the 1970s alums. Their corps experiences were very much like those from earlier years .. except for the DRUG influences! We all had a lot of fun on corps turnouts.

Keep watching, folks!

Jim Fetty has sent me 28 files of stuff from the later 1970s and I'll be posting it soon!

Come back soon and check it out!

Larry

Larry,

Thanks so much for staying on top of the numerous things suddenly coming your way! I'm so excited to see the 70s alums waking up. Next it will be up to the 80s folks to finish the story.

And I've seen Jim's pictures. They are the next link in the corps history after Donna's pictures, and they show the uniform and drum transitions that occurred during those years. Ya'll will love them!

Keep passing the word to the 70s folks...

Rich Armstrong, that was it. What a nice man. And I meant Stoney (not Soney), Adam's brother... two more nice guys! And yes, Tom Flowers was fun!

Looking forward to seeing the next round of photos. My Dad remained close to the corps and Mr. Fiduccia and Mrs. "Lurch" long after I was done marching.

What did you do in the Corps? Guard

What years were you a Corps member? 73-77

Took a look at the new pictures that were posted,
and I really thought they were great.Nice to see
Norwood during that time.

I hope that we can get some from the 80's as well.
They really add a lot to our history,and give the
many Alumni who are from the earlier years the
opportunity to see Norwood during that time.

What did you do in the Corps? FrenchHorn

Most of Jim Fetty's photos have been added to the photo album. Look in the 1970s and Cadets albums.

More are coming, but some work is needed to convert them for viewing.

Larry

I don't think it's been mentioned before but how many horns and drums did the corps put on the field in the mid-70s? The mid-60s corps tended to field 32 to 36 horns and 12 to maybe 16 drums. Never paid much attention to the drum line but recollect 1966 had a larger section than in the other years. The color guard varied in size from 16 to 24. So including two drum majors the corps had close to 80 members on the field.

I believe that was the typical size of the major corps in the mid-60s. Some corps might have as many as 42 horns but 36 seemed to be typical. Since most corps drills were based on "squads" of 3 or 4, the hornline and drum sections seemed to be a multiple of 3 or 4.

Forgot to comment that it is really great to have pictures of the corps from the 70s. I didn't get a chance to see Norwood after 1970 as I was too busy finsihing grad school and then moved out to the east coast.

Larry,

Thanks again for helping us get everything updated into the 70s. Now it's time for you 80s people to finish the story in pictures!

And I'm still waiting on the 70s people to get their thoughts down on paper about your time in the corps and get them to me. I know ya'll are old now, but get those pens and/or keyboards going! We want to TELL the story as well as SHOW it!

As for corps size, the 78-79 drum lines were 5-6 snares, 3 tenors (triples at that time), 4 basses, 3-4 cymbals, 2-3 mallets and a timpanist in front. We were actually ahead of the 'pit' concept a little, but more because of numbers than innovation. In fact, I made a switch in the line in 79 right before AL State, moving a couple of timpanists to bass drum and putting George Roberts' brother John up front alone on timps. Hank Grana almost KILLED me for doing that, but it worked out ok - we won State.

Dr. Snyder or Fetty can better comment on the horn line size, although I'm sure it was small. The only reason I marched DM was because we couldn't afford to take anyone from the horn line.

And I know Ma Fidducia is lurking out there, so she can comment as well...she probably still has rosters to look at.

Uniforms from the late 70s. I never liked those pajama shirts .. but the "Aussie" style hats were nice.

He everyone!,
I only had 1 picture of me in corp wish there were more from the middle 70's that I could possibly get a peek at myself lol. The picture is a 2x2 and not very clear.

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard American Flag, Later Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Hummm

A little belated Bob in responding to your request for help re the size of the horn line in the late 70s. I just looked over my 1979 yearbook and there were 36 horn players listed. I don't think we consistently marched that many. 1978 was probably about the same while 1976 and 1977 would have been a little smaller. My last year, 1981, we probably had around 20 on the horn line.

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1981

Great pictures from the 40's and 70's.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn