Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CORPS FOLDING!

Donna Larsem Gaitlen just posted a very interesting comment (in the 1970s pictures thread) about the corps folding.

Just a simple announcement at a corps practice and it is all over?

It would be great to here more information about HOW this happened and the feelings of the members and staff involved then.

As a corps judge, I had seen the gradual changes (and eventual decline) of the corps for several years.
That made me sad.

As a former member, that made me even more sad. Especially, the folding.

Unfortunately, the Corps never established a viable alumni group to help with finances, instruction, logistics and other support. They just relied on parents.

Parents are wonderful. But, they can only do so much. As the needs grew, so did the need for more support.

Would love to hear more alumni comments on this topic.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: CORPS FOLDING!

Hopefully someone knows who the manager was that decided we were done. A few weeks later Jack McNulty tried to restart the corp. I got involved with Spirit of 76 and don't know what ever happened with the Imperials.

This thread makes it sound like the corps died but was resurrected later the same year!

Another Norwood record that remains hidden (like inventing the sunburst) - the only corps to fold AND make finals at VFW Nationals in the same year!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

BOB......the most infamous of a corps competing in the national finals and folding the next year would be the Royal Airs. They finished second due to a one point penalty and the gavies won. We lost a good corps.

As Ralph says, the Royal Airs folding has to be one of the most dramatic changes. Also in 1968, the VFW contest was the major national competition. So it would be like the Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Santa Clara or Cadets folding after the 2007 season.

What did you do in the Corps? Baritone--Cadets 1959 through 1961 Imperials 1962 through 1966

Well, THIS topic was about the folding of OUR corps .. the Imperials. A sad event.

If we want to talk about OTHER corps folding, let's start a NEW topic.

As for Norwood folding, I wasn't around and therefore can't comment. However, I was always impressed that we ended with class - paying the debts before officially calling it quits, even though the corps had already stopped performing. I still have the letter that was sent out with the announcement. For a group not always noted for high-class off-field operations, it was a nice way to go out.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Correction

With all due respect to Ralph J., I have to set the record straight on the Royal Airs last Nationals in 1968. The Royal Airs didn't lose VFW Nationals because of the 1 point penalty, they simply dropped to 5th place. Also, the Cavies didn't win that year. The Kilties won 68 nationals. I watched the complete finals show from the stands that year and all of the top corps were fabulous and very competitive.

In fact, when you take away the 1 point penalty, Royal Airs still would have only placed 2nd. Which would have been a big jump, but still .85 behind Kilts. So the assumption that RA would have won 68 Nationals without the penalty and may not have folded is inaccurate.

Here are the Top 5 scores from 1968 right from the recap published in DCN.

Racine Kilties 89.85 .1 penalty
Cavalcade 88.9
Troopers 88.7
Des Plaines Vanguard 88.35
Royal Airs 88.0 1 point penalty

Hope this clears things up a bit.

As for the reasons that RA folded, I don't think we will ever know for sure what the real reason was. I have heard several stories, including that Sie had major health problems and needed to move to Arizona for the drier climate. So, I guess it all can be considered drum corps "folk lore" until the real reason is uncovered.

Regards to all.
Jerry

What did you do in the Corps? Brass Instructor, Corps Manager

Since the economics willbe hitting drum corps big time this year via fuel costs I wonder who will survive and who will become a parade coprs, sad case.

Does anyone have volunteer information for Garfield while in town or the annual July Phantom show???? Thanks for your intput

What did you do in the Corps? soprano

Ralph: re: Cadet volunteer help ....

A good friend, who is a Garfield Cadet alum, told me that the Cadets alumni group is looking for volunteers to assist the corps as they travel during the summer. They will be in the greater Chicago area from June 25- 29.

The Cadets are a drum corps we have admired (and competed against) for many years. Some of us have made good friends among their members as well. The Cadets were also very kind in adding a “tribute” to the Norwood Park Imperials on their alumni web site.

The corps will be in the Chicago area as noted:

1. June 25-26: practice, band clinic and laundry in Elkhart, Indiana (near South Bend)
2. June 27: contest in Racine
3. June 28: major DCI contest in Madison at Camp Randall stadium (20 corps)
4. June 29: contest in Naperville, IL (Cavaliers show).

Interested Imperials alums might want to consider giving the Cadets some help while they are here? (Basically, this is help for the corps members AND help for the traveling volunteer staff!)

The Cadets will also be in OTHER areas of the country during the summer .. and Imperials alums might want to help at some other sites too. Such as: Orlando, FL July 13); Ypsilanti (June 22) and Belding (June 24), Michigan; Houston (July 18) and San Antonio (July 20), Texas.

Christen Juel is the person to contact. Christen is their alumni-volunteer coordinator. (She is also a recent Cadet graduate). Contact info:

christen@yea.org, 610-821-0345 X24.