Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Attention 1970s-80s alumni

Other threads have been discussing the desire of later alumni from the corps to get involved here on the website. I would like to start by asking anyone active here who marched during those decades to take a few minutes one day and write down your recollections of your time in the corps. Then send it to me at:

sshreffler@cfl.rr.com

I am volunteering to compile everyone's thoughts into a cohesive presentation of the later years of the corps. I have already written my "personal" history of involvement with Norwood, but I certainly don't want to present it as the definitive truth, especially since for four of those years (1970-73) I was quite young and not always aware of everything going on with the corps (I was mostly trying to hold my own in rehearsals and on the field, while avoiding the Normans, Adams, Schlenkers, and Gills who were trolling for new guys to mess with!).

I promise to include everyone's thoughts. The more people who contribute, the more representative the final articles will be. Consider the following items when writing:

Years in the corps
Management and instructors
Section you marched in
General memories of the organization, including on-field success, rehearsal schedules and places, off-field behavior, specific shows enjoyed (or hated)
Things you learned in the corps
People who made a difference for you in the corps
Anything else you may think others would find interesting

I look forward to hearing from all of you - don't think because you were only here a year or two; or didn't march rifle, first soprano, or snare; or were pretty young (I was only 10 when I started in the Cadets); or for any other reason your thoughts wouldn't be interesting. They ALL are!

Let's get this done, and while you're at it, write to one friend you remember from those days and direct them to the website.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Re: Attention 1970s-80s alumni

Great idea, Bob, and THANKS!

Let's hear from the 1970s and 80s alums .. get involved!

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

This is a really "Great idea"Bob to put this
together involving those from the 70's and 80's
era.They can really contribute a lot towards
the history as well as the web-site.

It's too bad we didn't think of something like
this,those of us from the earlier years.I know
many of us have added a lot,but there are still
so many Alumni we haven't seen on the site that
are out there somewhere with there own stories
and experiences they could share.

What did you do in the Corps? FrenchHorn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Well Bob, after looking at my photo albums I'm sure I can gather some thoughts and get them to you. Also I will find someone to scan these. I have a bunch from the last years in the 80s too.

Wow we were so young. I also found I have a couple full corps pictures. The one I'm looking at is I think 79. Bob, you're in it. This is the only time my brothers John, Jim, Joe and I marched together on the same field.

What years were you a Corps member? 76-83

Sure do wish we would have done this sooner, cause I can't remember much. Perhaps we can get some good stories from the younger members. Would even like to hear the stories or bits and pieces from all members.

You're not THAT old, Donna!

And Mary, I think I marched at one time or another with ALL of your siblings, and yourself. And your Dad instructed the horn line when my little brother was in the Cadets and my Dad was managing. But the interesting thing is that I never knew of your Dad's (and Mom's) connections to other corps until a few years ago, when the "When Drum Corps Was Really Drum Corps" video series came out.

Please tell your folks I said hello!

Yes Bob I'm sure you marched with all the Snyder kids. All 5 of us were Imperials at some point of our dc careers.

My dad was my first horn instructor when I was in Cadets, needless to say, I had to practice at home.

I've never seen those videos, I'll have to get a hold of it sometime. Also need to read Don's book too. It's kinda cool to have such "rockstar" drum corps parents.

Next time I give a call home I'll let them know you said hello. They always love hearing from anyone from our huge drum corps family.

Your folks are featured prominently in both the videos and the book.

The video series was made my Larry McCormick (Cavalier drum instructor throughout the 60's), and although it focuses mostly on the Cavaliers, it is a really good history of drum corps in general, and the Imperials are mentioned several times - Rick Maas in particular.