Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WATER ON THE DRUM CORPS FIELD?

We are still unsure of WHAT DCI has in mind with this.
It could be simply providing water for the players to be "hydrated" during their show.

But, maybe they have stranger motives? After all, this is DCI we are dealing with here!

While songs such as "Singing in the Rain" or "Bridge over Troubled Water" may seem logical for having water features, I vote for WATER FIGHTS!

What OTHER water uses could we envision here?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: WATER ON THE DRUM CORPS FIELD?

Considering the idea came from Hopkins, I'm sure it's NOT something normal like hydration. I just wouldn't want to be the corps coming on AFTER the Cadets this summer...

With Jeff Fiedler retiring from the DCI scene, Hopkins will have an easier time getting his weird ideas through, because the Cavaliers tended to resist many of his more off-the-wall changes, but now won't have that clout, at least for a while.

And Dave - since you've been corresponding with the Garfield/Holy Name people, I wonder what they think of the current Cadet corps? Do they like it? Or are they politically correct and just don't mention it?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob: regarding the Cadet alumni .... at least those who were members of the HOLY NAME CADETS (pre-1960s) ...
there is a range of mixed feelings about the current corps. The members LOVE the corps, but most did not like the "talking Cadets".

Ditto with George Hopkins. He saved the Cadets from extinction in the early 1980s (when he first joined the management). The alums are grateful for that. But, most don't care for his weird ideas.

So .. most of these alums avoid those issues and try to focus on their love of the Corps, it's history and the members.

The Cadet alumni association has recently gotten much stronger and is working on some projects for the Corps 75th anniversary (2009). This will make them even stronger and could improve the corps management by bringing in some "new blood".

Also, it appears the the 2008 Cadet program will be much more traditional .. even patriotic!

With water...

I've finally figured it out. We've all missed the symbology of it. Drum Corps as we knew it is "washed up"!

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? \\'60-69

Another indication of how much DCI has changed from the original drum corps is that they are talking about water. In the mid-60s, Beer would have been the fluid of choice.

But not ON the field...unless you were the Kilties...

Hmmmm... maybe WATER is a CODE word for "something else"?

Does anyone know what this new DCI rule actually SAYS?

The Water Story from DCI news.

Use of water in a corps’ production
Read this proposal in its entirety.

A few years ago, the DCI Board of Directors passed a rule prohibiting the use of water or any other liquid on the field. This was precipitated (pun intended) after several corps used water effects during their show. The liquid ended up on the field and created wet spots that were unanticipated by the following performing corps and also by the turf managers of indoor stadiums that are not built for water drainage.

Water effects were banned after a rule prohibiting
the use of liquids on the field was instituted in 2005. At the time, those involved in discussions on the proposal to ban the use of liquids admitted that there was a possibility that the restriction of liquid as a visual prop could remove some creative opportunities. It is this closed creative avenue that is addressed in George Hopkins’ proposal to allow for the use of water and water-based materials, effective in 2009.

Hopkins is not asking for this earlier rule to be overturned, rather for the rule to be adjusted to allow for the creative use of water as a visual prop or for various instrumental effects. In response to a question raised about the same concerns that instigated the current rule banning water, he says he agrees that water cannot be allowed to touch the field.

So what exactly could be considered the creative use of water?

A few years ago, the Kennesaw Mountain High School marching band from Georgia utilized vertical threads strung between giant frames (sort of creating the appearance of rectangular harps) for an intriguing cascading water effect that was quite captivating, especially when the water dripping down the threads suddenly changed color. It was one of the most memorable effects seen at the Bands of America Grand Nationals that year, and it greatly enhanced the beauty of the music. It should be noted that these devices were encased so that no water could escape the enclosures.

In a note from Hopkins, he mentions the possibility of using water-based paint to create signs on the field in real time. Perhaps a corps could do a show about the visual arts and create real pictures or paintings as part of the show.

There also are musical possibilities in allowing the use of water. One such effect is known as a “water gong.” It involves lifting a gong in and out of a bucket of water, changing its pitch as it’s submerged and lifted out. It’s an eerie sound that has been simulated in the past instead by placing an upside-down cymbal atop a timpani head.

The DCI Board of Directors will need to decide if this proposal has merit and can be implemented with due concern for the reasons the water prohibition was previously implemented in the first place, or if it’s simply all wet.

JA NOTE: The article had a picture of a color guard person with a splashing jug like container of water which I couldn't copy to this posting. The picture illustrated the offending issue which resulted in the 2005 rule banning water or other fluid.

In reviewing the above DCI discussion, I guess a corps could actually drink beer on the field as long as they don't spill any or it doesn't end up on the field by some other means.

In looking at this rule, some modification would be necessary if they were to permit "live animals" on the field.

Live paintings on the field? Good grief, Charlie Brown...

I've got a couple of simple observations - from a simple guy. I've included some of the article that John Anderson posted:

>A few years ago, the DCI Board of Directors passed a rule prohibiting the use of water or any other liquid on the field.

My take: So, what is it that caused such a common sense rule to be overturned? Answer: Lack of common sense - something all too common these days.

>At the time, those involved in discussions on the proposal to ban the use of liquids admitted that there was a possibility that the restriction of liquid as a visual prop could remove some creative opportunities.

My take: Now, here we have the crux of the changes that have cause DCI to become what it is today. It's just too hard to be entertaining without props. The competition will do it, so we have to do it, too. There lies the beginning of the end of military drum corps.

>A few years ago, the Kennesaw Mountain High School marching band from Georgia utilized vertical threads strung between giant frames (sort of creating the appearance of rectangular harps) for an intriguing cascading water effect that was quite captivating, especially when the water dripping down the threads suddenly changed color. It was one of the most memorable effects seen at the Bands of America Grand Nationals that year, and it greatly enhanced the beauty of the music. It should be noted that these devices were encased so that no water could escape the enclosures.

My take: See? The bands do it, so drum corps have to as well. Everybody has to put their own personal stamp on the show.

I wonder what would happen if a band formed a circle and tried a sunburst maneuver.

>In a note from Hopkins, he mentions the possibility of using water-based paint to create signs on the field in real time. Perhaps a corps could do a show about the visual arts and create real pictures or paintings as part of the show.

My take: Wow, can't wait to see how wonderful this would make the competition grow! Yechhh...

>There also are musical possibilities in allowing the use of water. One such effect is known as a “water gong.” It involves lifting a gong in and out of a bucket of water, changing its pitch as it’s submerged and lifted out. It’s an eerie sound that has been simulated in the past instead by placing an upside-down cymbal atop a timpani head.

My take: This actually sounds interesting. Great idea for a band to try.

>The DCI Board of Directors will need to decide if this proposal has merit and can be implemented with due concern for the reasons the water prohibition was previously implemented in the first place, or if it’s simply all wet.

My take: It's not only all wet, it's absolutely soggy! And it's just one of the things that DCI has done to ruin drum corps.

There you have it, folks. It's just so obvious where this is going, and I'd like to propose that we recognize it for what it is. Drum Corps is gone, bands will take over and they shall become one.

Meanwhile, fortunately, we have our memories, and we need to do whatever we can to preserve them and show others how it used to be.

Larry

What did you do in the Corps? Drumline

What years were you a Corps member? 1960-1965

Well, it has been shown (by a lot of good drum corps) that you CAN be entertaining without props!

You do it by playing MUSIC, (especially music that the normal folks in the stands can understand) and playing it well.

You have field work which can be understood and which actually makes sense with the music being played. A total package, so to speak.

You don't need props, crazy guards (auxiliaries) in weird costumes doing strange things, or gimmicks like talking and narration and amplification. You don't even need a pit full of expensive concert instruments on the sideline.

Just play good music, and then play and present it well.