Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NORTH AVENUE ARMORY

Some posts recently have talked about the Chicago Avenue Armory. We also used the North Avenue Armory, which was on the edge of Humboldt Park, at North and Kedzie. It was easy to get to and was a place with a wooden floor.

A bit small and LOTS of sound reverberation! CLEAN!

The Cavaliers also used this site on alternate Friday nights. Maybe the Royal Airs did too?

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: NORTH AVENUE ARMORY

Didn't we have to wear our bucks on that floor to protect it?

I remember doing more basics there than drill. I don't think it was much larger than a basketball court.

As long as we're talking Armories, how about the one on Foster?

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

I recollect practicing at the North Avenue Armory 1962 through early 1964. I recollect that it was bigger than a basketball court. We could line up on the starting line but the "field" wasn't just a little longer than maybe 60 yards.

The Chicago Avenue Armory and Glenview were big enough to do the entire drill although the Chicago Avenue Armory may have been a little shorter than 100 yards.

Only remember practicing at Glenview in 1962.

John, thanks for the memory jog. I now remember lining up on the starting line at North Ave and you're right it was short. My Dad tells me they played an NFL championship game at Chicago Avenue Armory. I'll have to look that one up.

We did practice at Glenview in later years - but not too often. I want to say '65 or '66.

I believe that American Legion State was held there one year too, due to rain.

Now THAT must have been something!

What years were you a Corps member? 1958- 1963

John T,

I don't remember practicing at Glenview Airbase in 1965 and 1966. We were using the Chicago Avenue Armory on Sunday afternoons pretty regularly in those years. I really only recollect practicing at Glenview my first year in the Imperials (winter 1962).

I find it hard to believe that an NFL championship game would be played inside Chicago Avenue Armory. Prior to the NFL really going big time in the late 60s (Pete Rozelle era and after NFL-AFL merger) pro-football seemed to take pride in playing in all kinds of miserable weather--Ice Bowl game with Green Bay-Dallas, Colts-Giants championship in a snow storm, etc. It just doesn't seem like old man Halas would have moved a championship game into the Armory. Also Halas wouldn't have been able to sell as many tickets to a game in the armory. But please look it up, it could be that this happened in the early days of the league (Red Grange era for the Bears) when pro-football was just starting.

Dave,

It would seem possible that AL state could have been held in the Chicago Avenue Armory. Particularly in the early years when the corps had small horn lines. Thay wouldn't have been any fun though. I'd have rather marched in the driving rain like we did in Bellfountaine Ohio in 1962 than in the Chicago Avenue Armory.

John - I agree that the Chicago Avenue Armory was the norm in '65. I was in the Cadets 'till 63 so I know I wasn't at Glenview till after that. The years seem to blend together.

Regarding the NFL championship game - my Dad's 94 and from what I can find on the net, the game may have been before the NFL became the NFL. Wikepedia claims this was at the Chicago Stadium - but I don't trust that as a source. There is limited info on the armories. I've got to see if I can jog Dad's memory to see who was playing - maybe then I clear it up. The armory seems to make more sense because of the dirt floor.

John, Just looked up on Bears website. Bears won NFL Championship over Portsmouth Spartans 9-0 before 11,198 fans on 12/18/32. Game was moved inside for weather purposes to Chicago Stadium and played on an 80 yard field. Also I know we practiced Sunday nights at Chicago Avenue Armory in both 1967 and 1968. I am pretty sure we went to Glenview Naval Air in 1969 and I know we were there until my last year in 1971 and I think for a few years after that.

What did you do in the Corps? Drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1966-1971

I remember that contest in the North Avenue Amory.
And I'm pretty sure it was AL State.It was amazing
how Rick Maass changed our drill to fit the floor
at the Armory in such a short time,and you can say
that for the other drill instructors as well.

For some reason knowing we were going inside the
Amory for the contest,I thought we had a good chance
of winning it,but of course we didn't,maybe it was
just wishful thinking on my part.

I'll give you 2 guess'es who won and the first don't
count.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Rich, what YEAR was that contest? Was it 1955?

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Dave,I think that contest was either 1958 or 59,
not really sure.I thought you were in Norwood at
that time to.I can still picture it taking shape.

I'm pretty sure the original contest was at Lane
Tech,than they decided to switch it to the Armory,
when they realized there wasn't going to be a
break in the rain.So everyone hopped in their cars
and headed over there.

Maybe someone else knows for sure what year it
was.

That AL State contest held in the Armory could
have been during 1957,but again I'm guessing.