Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hearing Drum Corp Sounds

In the late 60's and early 70's, my parents were building a house on the edge of Lake Geneva Township. We heard a Drum Corp and began driving. It was the Cavies at Camp Augstana. What a great sound. By my work there is a place that has something to do with horns, and when the winds blows the right way I aways hear Drum Corp music. One year I heard some of the show from Lisle.

Re: Hearing Drum Corp Sounds

My Mom still lives near the Skokie area. She lives of off Touhy & McCormick. Sometimes, I will take the long way home (I live in Bolingbrook) and find myself driving past the Vapor parking lot, find myself in Mt Prospect driving past the Basin.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

Re: Hearing Drum Corp Sounds

Five years ago when my son was playing baseball for Diablo Valley Junior college I used to see and hear the Blue Devils practice. They used the college field and facilities for a number of their weekend practices.

My most recent experience though wasn't with a corps, but the UCLA Marching Band and it occurred in of a places Park Ridge Il. In the fall of 2006 we were visiting Chicago and staying at the Marriott at Cumberland and the Kennedy Expressway. When we got back to the hotel we heard what sounded like a DCI corps. The band was practicing in the back parking lot of the hotel along the expressway. They sounded like a corps because they were playing some of Wayne Downey's older Blue Devils arrangements from the 1980s. They were in Chicago because UCLA played at Notre Dame the next day. Ran into a lot of the kids Saturday night--they're a little older than the DCI kids and took over both bars in the hotel.